Nintendo Announces SNES Classic for This Fall, Has 21 Games

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
This has me excited. Will it get an EU release?

How will you do secret of mana 3 player?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm... yeah, ok, I'm interested. Although the price is pretty high and it could use FF2 and Breath of Fire 2, but as it is, that is a pretty solid group of games.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Oh goodie. Another system they will produce in absurdkly limited quantities and then cancel production off.
Seriously. We saw how this played out with the NES classic. IS there any reason to believe this won't happen again.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
No Donkey Kong, although Star Fox 2 made it. Too bad they will probably limit production again.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
If they made it so there was a large catalogue of games and you could download the 21 games you wanted I probably would get one but seeing as the games it comes with I either have already or aren't that fussed about I'll probably give it a miss

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
erttheking said:
Samtemdo8 said:
...That wasn't what I asked. I asked if you knew for certain that this was FF III as it was known back in the 90s, because they haven't been using that outdated name for awhile. Because if they have gone back to it, that's fucking stupid.
Its a nostalgia collection, they use the names associated with that system an timeframe. Noticably they didn't list Earthbound as Mother 2 or Secret of Mana as Seiken Densetsu 2 either.

Also Final Fantasy 3 (Japan) was NES/Famicom title, not on the Super variants.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Not gonna lie, I'm seriously considering getting one of these, provided I can actually get my hands on one. SNES titles have generally aged far better than NES ones, and, while there's a smaller lineup this time around, it's still a damn impressive one. Plus, we'll finally be able to play a finished version of Star Fox 2. I just wish Donkey Kong Country 2 and Chrono Trigger were included. Also, they'd better make the controller cables longer than two feet this time around.

Having said that, it's probably a moot point given that Nintendo won't make enough units to meet demand, and I'm not going to pay hundreds more to get it from scalpers.
Sums up my thoughts. I'm just surprised we're getting Kirby's Dream Course. I always felt that game was criminally underrated.

Poetic Nova said:
No Donkey Kong, although Star Fox 2 made it. Too bad they will probably limit production again.
Donkey Kong Country is listed as one of the games.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
They are missing so much that its not funny. I mean I am most surprised Chrono Trigger is not in this list.
In fairness, there were thousands of SNES games and hundreds of really good ones. There would be a long list of missing classics no matter what.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Ill buy 10 and sell the for 300% markup like everyone else......gotta love capitalism

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I will quote The Grand Tour, by way of comment:

"I have launch control."

"I don't care."

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Question: Is this the Super Mario World from the All Stars version with the unique Luigi sprite? Cuz I want that one.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm suprised Earthbound is on the list, considering how little attention it got when it came out and I think now is more of a cult classic that most people aren't familiar with.

That being said, I'm surprised Chrono Trigger is not on that list, considering it's considered one of the best JRPG's of all times, and possibly the best of that era.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
What!? No Terranigma? No Secret of Evermore? No Soul Blazer? No Act Raiser? No Illusion of Gaia? No Tales of Phantasia?

(Though I wonder if the Japanese get the last one)

I'm quite happy about the line-up. IMO, they could have been pushing the RPG department a bit more, because that is what, again in my opinion, that is what made the SNES legendary for me, but whatever. And yes, I didn't play ToP until I could emulate it.

I will buy this. Hopefully, we won't get the dull NA one with those purple buttons which look like repro.

But yes, Chrono Trigger should have been on there for its popularity alone. And because it's very good.

Terranigma still is the best game on the system.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Saelune said:
Star Fox 2? Really?

...Now Im interested.
Yep, over twenty years after it was cancelled and just over fifteen after the complete ROM was 'accidentally' leaked onto the internet, Starfox 2 is getting it's official release.

I am actually tmepted to buy one of these things just to have an official version of Starfox 2 and finally appease eight year old me.

Nintendo are truly inscrutable sometimes.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Dalisclock said:
That being said, I'm surprised Chrono Trigger is not on that list, considering it's considered one of the best JRPG's of all times, and possibly the best of that era.
Chrono Trigger's absence can be explained with a single word, which must be shouted loudly whilst shaking your fist at the sky.

Squenix!