Nintendo Announces Super Mario Odyssey for the Switch

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Mr.Mattress said:
and what little story we've gotten is very intriguing already.
... Bowser kidnaps Peach?
More then that! Not only is he kidnapping Peach; this time he's actually forcing a wedding between himself and her! It's a major improvement. Better then "I'm just gonna hold her here and do nothing with her".
Wasn't "forced wedding" also part of the plot in Super Paper Mario?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Bindal said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Mr.Mattress said:
and what little story we've gotten is very intriguing already.
... Bowser kidnaps Peach?
More then that! Not only is he kidnapping Peach; this time he's actually forcing a wedding between himself and her! It's a major improvement. Better then "I'm just gonna hold her here and do nothing with her".
Wasn't "forced wedding" also part of the plot in Super Paper Mario?
Hey, if they are calling it Super Mario Odyssey, why not get inspiration from the actual Odyssey.
I mean, the seven year journey home from the battle of Troy that Odysseus had to make to get home and in the end find his wife back home about to get married to a massive douche.
I mean, they might take inspiration from the classical epic.
It'd doubtful that Nintendo has the brains to do it, but I can atleast hope.

Odyssey is probably just a name that they picked out of the sequel names bin, along with Revolution and Revelations and whatever other shit names are in there, and not picked the name in some meaningful way to actually reference a piece of meaningful, influential classical literature.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Mr.Mattress said:
I've been waiting for a Mario Game like this since Super Mario 64! (With Realistic Humans added in it for some reason...)

I'm already sold on this game. The Hat Mechanic looks great, the Graphics are absolutely fantastic, and what little story we've gotten is very intriguing already.

Wrex Brogan said:
Open World. Mario. Sandbox. Why?(SNIP)Hell Mario started off as a linear game (quite literally), his is the last fucking franchise that needs this kind of bullshit tacked on. God dammit.
Fun Fact: Mario was actually one of the first Franchises to do that: Turn from 2D and Linear into 3D and Open World.
See, it's not the Open World that's making me go 'god dammit', it's the Sandbox part that's making me go 'god dammit'. There's only so many disjointed mini-games and thousands of collectibles to be arbitrarily hunted down before I want something that isn't a friggin' sandbox for once. Now, maybe I'm just burnt out because we're drowning in poorly done open-world sandboxes right now and maybe they're going to do something interesting for the genre (god I hope so), but at the same time, still not feeling all too confident in it given how many AAA games have had 'open-world sandbox' slapped onto them without any thought put into the matter.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wrex Brogan said:
See, it's not the Open World that's making me go 'god dammit', it's the Sandbox part that's making me go 'god dammit'. There's only so many disjointed mini-games and thousands of collectibles to be arbitrarily hunted down before I want something that isn't a friggin' sandbox for once. Now, maybe I'm just burnt out because we're drowning in poorly done open-world sandboxes right now and maybe they're going to do something interesting for the genre (god I hope so), but at the same time, still not feeling all too confident in it given how many AAA games have had 'open-world sandbox' slapped onto them without any thought put into the matter.
What you say makes sense and i understand the issue that the word "sandbox" has been applied to a lot of cookie cutter games of late. But remember that Nintendo marketing execs are a little bit stupid and behind on the times and are quite possibly looking at the word "sandbox" as a good buzzword to throw into the marketing rhetoric bullshit that we all have to deal with. They also compared it to the "sandbox" of Mario 64 and sunshine if you take note. So I recommend the cautious optimism for now. These words of us humans are powerful things, aren't they? ;)

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
Wrex Brogan said:
What you say makes sense and i understand the issue that the word "sandbox" has been applied to a lot of cookie cutter games of late. But remember that Nintendo marketing execs are a little bit stupid and behind on the times and are quite possibly looking at the word "sandbox" as a good buzzword to throw into the marketing rhetoric bullshit that we all have to deal with. They also compared it to the "sandbox" of Mario 64 and sunshine if you take note. So I recommend the cautious optimism for now. These words of us humans are powerful things, aren't they? ;)
I hope it's just them misusing a marketing term - as cynical as I am towards the games industry these days, I still like being wrong about these kinds of things.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MeatMachine said:
Remember what happened last time we had a platforming cartoon mascot who co-existed with psuedo-realistic humans?]
...we got Sonic Adventure?

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
Honestly, I looked at the first few seconds of the trailer and got super worried. Mario feels uncanny in a realistic city. Fortunately, the majority of the trailer is somewhat standard Mario fare. I'm not in love with the darker colors that are adding to the realism though. Mario has become this bright, whimsical game series and I'd hate to see the series lose that in favor of realism =(