Nintendo Blames Retailers for Limited Console Colors

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ok, so that explains a larger variety of colors I never asked for. Now how do they explain such limited 3rd party support? Maybe that's because of McDonald's.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Who the eff cares what colour their Consoles are (or aren't) anyway?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I think I get what he's talking about. It's silly, but it kinda makes sense. He's blaming the retailers for not carrying large stocks. Let's say you're Best Buy (I know nothing about Best Buy's retail practices, this is only an example I'm probably wrong, but work with me.) You have a set are for all your video game items. In this case let's say 4ft long, 4ft wide, and 2ft section for 3DS(low middle high). Now each 3DS box is a 6in long maybe an inch thick/high or so. With such limited space you're going to place a few units and then use the rest for it's games and accessories. If you had 25 colors there's no way for you to fit all the 3DS on the shelf. You're going to put only a few there and the rest in the back. Now here's where I think the problem lies. The space they have for such inventory is just as limited. Of course when you have 25 colors you're going to have more than one of each color. You then realize they have other products they're not willing to allocate precious backroom space for that many units of so many colors. They have other items they sell and want space for those as well. Another point is that they (retailers) look at sales. If you had just four colors and one out sold the others, the store will gradually purchase more of that single color. Much like everything else, they go with what's popular rather than worry about variety. At best they'll order the popular color, the basic color, and probably the 2nd best seller. So the short answer is that retailers aren't willing to devote themselves to selling all the colors since space is limited and sales don't show enough warrant more variety.

Simple answer is indeed for them to sell them online or directly from the manufacturer. The first might be easier, and the second may not make those retailers too happy. Pretty much cutting into their sales they would normally see. What would be the point of sending to the stores if they're going to do it themselves? At least that's what I think. I'm no expert so it's seems a logical conclusion.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Jim_Callahan said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
So I take it this is why comsumer electronics in general come in black, white, and silver, with very few exceptions? I woud love, say, a blood red DVD player,
Merry Christmas, I guess:

http://www.utrechtart.com/Montana-Gold-Spray-Paint--Matte-Acrylic-Color--Shock-Red-MP27245-i1001053.utrecht

that took me all of thirty seconds on google to find, so... not rocket science.

(Acrylic because a lacquer-based paint tends to react with polystyrene, the usual casing plastic, and also with some finished coats. Acrylic can be applied without primer in most cases.)
Yeah, no. I'm not getting spray paint anywhere near my electronics XD

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Aeshi said:
Who the eff cares what colour their Consoles are (or aren't) anyway?
Um... nearly everyone?. you wouldn't buy something that looks like the color of baby vomit or diarrhea would you? unless you are severely colorblind color matters alot.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Surely this has a simple solution?
Sell them on your website.
EXACTLY, I am surprised Nintendo hasn't done this yet. They just started selling refurbished 3DSs, maybe that will get the ball rolling? I'd like to see a few more special edition consoles to, both in wiiU and 3DS versions. If they made they limited they would sell out like crazy.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
Dragonbums said:
Also Midnight purple is the most gorgeous color you can get for the regular 3DS.
Purple was my second choice for the 3DS, my first was the black and gold zelda one. They are both so pretty. <3

OT: Why doesn't Nintendo sell the 3ds from there site and manage there own stock and inventory? If you try to buy a 3ds from them you get redirected to another retailer. They could still have the retailer have the options of showing pictures or display boxes and help customers order them from the site. blaming it on retailers and SKU's is like saying "We can only have black and white socks in our store, If we add more colors then there are more SKU's and it gets confusing." If you work in retail you get use to SKU's, when I worked in a book store I got use to the SKU's and there were millions of them. We live in an age where we can order almost anything we want from the internet. I mean heck our bookstore order plenty of out of stock, even out of pint books for customers.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm sorry but I'm just failing to see the practicality of having a different coloured handheld and why this shit is so important.

It would be easier to have them all come in a stock white or black with detachable and retachable (is that a word?) colour plates that the consumer could buy for a higher markup... you know, like Apple does.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Duckman said:
I'm wondering why they need a different SKU for each color...
Because the sku's are also used for ordering. So if I was ordering for my store and I wanted to get three red 3ds's and four purple 3ds's they would both be a different sku code.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Also back to OP, it honestly depends on the store.
For instance my sister just went and got a 3DS, and they actually had the box displays of different colors on the racks.
However in other stores you have to remember to ask.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Dark Knifer said:
Is it really that hard to have a sign saying "Also comes in these colours"

What a pathetic answer.
canadamus_prime said:
Wait, Retailers can only stock certain colours because they put the units out on the shelves for the customer to see? That doesn't make any sense. Why couldn't they stock all the colours and just put up a poster saying "Also available in these colours."
I don't want to defend him but... have you ever tried to deal with large retail corporations? I have. Asking them to place a sign - and even that will require you to justify your product and the sales it's going to generate for them - still doesn't negate them having to load different SKU. Which can seem like almost no work at all, but the way they, and their accountants operate - it's a big deal. Try working in the industry at a higher level and you'll be amazed at all manner of simple problems that can only be solved by massively complex solutions i.e. too much work for too little profit to warrant following through with.

Gregg Johnson said:
It's kind of amazing how few people realize how retail works.
I am too but maybe people here work in different industries or don't have jobs yet.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
StewShearer said:
Special edition versions of consoles occasionally rear their colorful heads in America, a trend Nintendo could be investing in more itself in the future.
Ahem, Nintendo has already invested in <a href=http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/97-nintendo-3ds-console-import-japan?rewrite=1&isolang=en=a lovely varietya lovely variety of colours and designs. I count 24 3DS XLs here, and a bunch of 3Ds' too, and I bet these aren't all Japan has to offer!

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Surely this has a simple solution?

Sell them on your website. Also means that you'd be taking all the money from it too. And it means everywhere can get all the special editions, not just Japan.
Yeah, if they can do it on their Japanese website: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/color/index.html Then why only 3 colors on the American website? I would imagine most people would buy a lightweight 3DS on Amazon or other online store rather than a retailer. Even qualifies for Media Mail. & it seems they're plenty accustomes to already doing short time limited editions, like Eevee & Luigi.