Nintendo Brings Multiplayer Into the Kitchen

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Nintendo Brings Multiplayer Into the Kitchen

Rounding out our week of videogames and food is a look at the next culinary title to hit the DS, America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking.

Let's face it: his article this week [http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Mama-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000FUWCRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279570718&sr=1-1] about how he and his wife assembled a six-course meal of Japanese delicacies with Mama as his only guide, he may have left out a crucial caveat: "Your mileage may vary." Thankfully, if all you have is a DS and a kitchen full of ingredients, there's a better way.

America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking [http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Test-Kitchen-Cooking-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0033BJS8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279570795&sr=1-1] isn't the first DS cooking aid to hit store shelves, but it could be the most collaborative. Many of its touted features have to do with making cooking as much of a communal process as sitting down for a meal. Recipes list age-appropriate kitchen tasks, so you don't need to worry about your 6-year-old brother deboning a roast. And for the less skilled among us, the software offers prompts to clarify some of the more confusing terminology. (Did you know that "mincing" means "to chop finely"? Because if you didn't, you should probably put down that knife.)

There's also sorting functionality that lets users rate their favorite recipes, view possible dishes by ingredients, difficulty, cooking time or calorie count and write notes with the touchscreen and stylus to add their own personal touch to the recipe. But perhaps the coolest feature is the ability to send select recipes from one DS to another, even if they don't have a copy of the game - so the next time you throw a potluck, you may want to make sure your guests bring their handhelds along.

America's Test Kitchen will be available on March 28 for the price of $19.99. It's rated E for Everyone, although the ESRB notes there are "alcohol references." Could America's Test Wet Bar be far behind?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
nice to see some women who knows their place.

but honestly it seems like a great game and if it makes younger people take an interest in cooking thats great, some of my friends actually have to ask me how long your supposed to boil an egg.

a friend of mine actually only uses that 457 dollar (current exchange) knife i gave him for his birthday to cut open the wrapping around his instant meals, next year hes getting this game.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
If I had a DS, I might think about getting it. But there are already a ton of recipe sites online like allrecipes.com [http://allrecipes.com/] that already do everything that game does, except for free.

A game like this would be much better suited for worldwide distribution since DS's are used like makeshift cell phones in some countries, but with "America" in the title, somehow I don't see that happening with much success.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
This front cover is not very PC, I feel offended.

Don't post the fucking 'offended' page of the encyclopedia dramatica.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Low Key said:
A game like this would be much better suited for worldwide distribution since DS's are used like makeshift cell phones in some countries, but with "America" in the title, somehow I don't see that happening with much success.
India's Test Kitchen: 300 Top Curry and Vindaloo Recipes!

Man, I'd buy that.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Andronicus said:
Low Key said:

Man, I'd buy that.
I was thinking more of a "western" worldwide distribution. Something tells me there isn't much of a market for DS's in India.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Low Key said:
Andronicus said:
Low Key said:

Man, I'd buy that.
I was thinking more of a "western" worldwide distribution. Something tells me there isn't much of a market for DS's in India.
There is now. Besides, who doesn't like a good curry?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Andronicus said:
Low Key said:
There is now. Besides, who doesn't like a good curry?
Curry gives me heartburn...and gas. You can have my share of the world's curry.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Hey! That cover is sexist! Men can cook too! Rant rant rant!

In all seriousness though, what if it were "DS Driving School", with two men on the front? Women would flip!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lol, im surprised taken this long for themn to abuse there market ase XD