Nintendo Chief Promises 3DS Will Have Hardcore Games

Sep 17, 2009
My only problem with the 3DS is that you have to hold it away from you at a certain angle for the 3D to actually work...seems like that could get really annoying.

OT: I am glad that they are targeting their core market once again, but family games will always be their niche.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
im surprised that nobody seems to be as excited as i am about the fact that they are making a saints row game for it. Grand theft auto for the ds was awesome, but if the saints row game is actually a real 3d open world game then it will probably be my favorite game of all time just on the fact that ill be able to take it wheverever i go and will always have something to do in it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
kevo.mf.last said:
im surprised that nobody seems to be as excited as i am about the fact that they are making a saints row game for it. Grand theft auto for the ds was awesome, but if the saints row game is actually a real 3d open world game then it will probably be my favorite game of all time just on the fact that ill be able to take it wheverever i go and will always have something to do in it.
Saints Row of the 3DS? Interesting.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
This 3DS thing is looking too good to be true.

kevo.mf.last said:
im surprised that nobody seems to be as excited as i am about the fact that they are making a saints row game for it.
I'm exited. I've never played a Saints Row game before, though I'm not sure why.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I have reason to completely believe him. The DS' library was nothing short of stellar, and the 3DS is looking even better. Even though the Wii is having trouble finding third-party support, the DS was fine in that respect.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Tom Phoenix said:
On one hand, I am very pleased to hear that Nintendo isn't going to neglect core gamers this time around. Looking at the planned starting lineup for the 3DS, I have to say that we have every reason to be pleased. :p

On the other, however, this move is quite uncharacteristic of Nintendo. Contrary to the "strategy of disruption" [http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html] that the company usually employs, it almost seems like Nintendo wants to start the lifecycle of the 3DS by aiming at all tiers of gamers all at once. While that certainly is ambitious, it does leave me concerned. By not focusing their initial efforts on downmarket or "casual" games and working their way up, but trying to do everything at the same time instead, Nintendo could very well end up shooting themselves in the foot and the 3DS as a platform could suffer for it.

Having said that, I do admit that it is entirely possible that I am tying the concept of "strategy of disruption" too much with a handheld console's lifecycle. Considering what Iwata has been saying in his interviews, it is entirely possible that both the DS and the 3DS are part of a single "strategy of disruption". It is possible that the DS served the function of introducing gaming to new people and bridging the gap between them and core gamers, while the 3DS serves the function of pushing these people into the upstream or "hardcore" market.
It is quite obvious, that it ties in with the strategy of disruption, if you switch your perspective and see that the 3DS is supposed to disrupt the xbox 360/PS3 not the PSP. Why should Nintendo compete with a hardware, that DS outdid in every imaginable way?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Damn straight it better! cause i need a portable gaming machine and the 3ds mite woo me more than the PSP right now XD

Spacemike

Jun 25, 2010
Anything, as long as it's not another stupid licensed game. I love the DS, but everytime I go to buy a video game I'm overwhelmed by the amount of stupid DS licensed games... for every Professor Layton there's like 10 Shreks Magical Adventure Lands out there.