Nintendo Confirms Card-Based Amiibos For This Year

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Confirms Card-Based Amiibos For This Year

, that the external NFC reader accessory planned for the vanilla 3DS models is still in development, and on track for a summer, 2015 release.

Source: Anime News Network [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/150217/04.html]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Actually all that chart shows is the list of which characters is really available. Can't be a chart-topper in sales if there aren't enough figures to sell.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I'm a bit surprised that Kirby placed second in Japan. Then again, Japan has a fascination for cute creatures...

Also, where is my Ganondorf amiibo, damn it?!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is a great idea. Ammiibos for the people who care about the figures, cards for the people just interested in videogames.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Considering the number of Amiibo that are no longer available to purchase, I can't help but feel like the sales data is a little bit inaccurate...Of course there's no way of knowing how well Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, Pit, etc would be selling if they were as readily available as Mario, Link and Pikachu.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
Wait, why does the 3DS need an external card reader? Why not just use them like AR Cards? Wouldn't that work?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
azurine said:
Wait, why does the 3DS need an external card reader? Why not just use them like AR Cards? Wouldn't that work?
You're forgetting that Amiibo's are meant to hold data as well. Like the Smash Bros Trainable A.I. or whatever it is that they plan to do with Mario Party.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
azurine said:
What Fiend said. The Amiibo concept needs writable memory. Though, I thought Nintendo gave up on making a NFC reader addon for the 3DS. AFAIK, It has become another selling point for the New 3DS.

It would be neat if the cards had QR codes or AR functionality as a bonus the figures can't have, though

OT: These better be much cheaper. If they are what I'm imagining (a plastic card with the chip embedded in one corner and some pretty sticker on top), they should not cost more than $2 a piece. I'm sure there are a lot a people out there who can not afford to buy all the figures but want the in-game functionality the figures have. Also, considering the Wii U application they are about to release that unlocks quick NES/SNES trial sections with an Amiibo, I would imagine Nintendo wants as many people as possible to have some kind of Amiibo.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Hairless Mammoth said:
What Fiend said. The Amiibo concept needs writable memory. Though, I thought Nintendo gave up on making a NFC reader addon for the 3DS. AFAIK, It has become another selling point for the New 3DS.
I'm going to have to ask for a source on this. Last I heard a reader was still being made and is slated for release late March/early April because Nintendo doesn't want to split their fanbase based on the model.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
LordLundar said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
I'm going to have to ask for a source on this. Last I heard a reader was still being made and is slated for release late March/early April because Nintendo doesn't want to split their fanbase based on the model.
The reader is to read NFC chips and record to them, you won't need it if you have the new3DS. I can confirm the Amiibos do hold save data, so if these cards intend to have the same functionality then you would need a chip rather than a QR code.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I kind of suprised Rosalina isn't in the chart in the US (does that mean that jerk buyer has to buy alot more).

OT- The figures are cooler but I can understand the reason for it, we ain't got all the spaces like some people.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Roboshi said:
LordLundar said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
The reader is to read NFC chips and record to them, you won't need it if you have the new3DS. I can confirm the Amiibos do hold save data, so if these cards intend to have the same functionality then you would need a chip rather than a QR code.
I'm aware of how the NFC system works and I'm not disputing it. I'm questioning Hairless Mammoth's source of Nintendo scrapping the reader for the old model 3DS which does require it. Scrapping the reader would split the consumer base which is something Nintendo does not want to do.

Scarim Coral said:
I kind of suprised Rosalina isn't in the chart in the US (does that mean that jerk buyer has to buy alot more).
The chart covers raw numbers. The Rosalina amiibo doesn't have the numbers in the region to get on the chart. For example if Canada was included then Rosalina would not even be able to get on the chart because we're forced to import.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
LordLundar said:
Roboshi said:
LordLundar said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
I'm aware of how the NFC system works and I'm not disputing it. I'm questioning Hairless Mammoth's source of Nintendo scrapping the reader for the old model 3DS which does require it. Scrapping the reader would split the consumer base which is something Nintendo does not want to do.
Nah! The readers entire purpose was like the circle-pad pro; Giving old3DS owners access to the new3DS functions at a cost.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
LordLundar said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
I can't remember where I heard that (probably the mighty and super reliable internet/sarcasm). With Nintendo staying quiet about an accessory that could be used on a game and figures that have been out for 3 months, probably so they can sell more N3DSes, I thought they completely dropped the external reader. Apparently, every news site I visit regularly didn't run a 2 day old story about the add-on coming out in Japan this summer, because that's what I just found after a quick search. When it is released international and if they make enough to meet demand is anyone's guess for now. Sorry for running my mouth, with mixed up old news.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
You know, I might actually get the cards. I don't care for plastic toys and I much prefer playing with cards than static plastic figurines.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
Semi-DemiFiend said:
azurine said:
You're forgetting that Amiibo's are meant to hold data as well. Like the Smash Bros Trainable A.I. or whatever it is that they plan to do with Mario Party.
Right,I was thinking the data could at least be saved system-side, if not sent back to the card wirelessly, and maybe while we're at it just drop the amiibo concept entirely.
But there I go again, thinking about convenience.

Off-topic: why wasn't I notified that both you and Hairless Mammoth responded to me? Does the Escapist just not do that anymore?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
LordLundar said:
Scarim Coral said:
The chart covers raw numbers. The Rosalina amiibo doesn't have the numbers in the region to get on the chart. For example if Canada was included then Rosalina would not even be able to get on the chart because we're forced to import.
I was surprised to see the only place it made it onto the list was Australia. If it's a popularity thing, then that's strange. If it's an availability thing, well, I know Australia is the smallest market to get it's own chart, but it still says something about where all the rosalinas seem to have ended up... XD