Nintendo Confirms Wii U Production Ending Soon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Confirms Wii U Production Ending Soon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/871/871994.png
Nintendo has finally confirmed that production for the Wii U will end "soon".

Last week, told IGN [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week] that all Wii U's that will be available in America this fiscal year have already been shipped.

"We can confirm that as of today, all Wii U hardware that will be made available in the North American market for this fiscal year has already been shipped to our retail partners. We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability," read the full statement.

Meanwhile, the Japanese Wii U page, while confirming that production of the console will end "soon," does not specify when exactly it will happen.

These two things suggest that production may have already halted, as the original Eurogamer article stated. It's not beyond Nintendo to deny things that are obviously true, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

So, if you wan't a Wii U, now is the time to get one. Since they cost around $230 to make, don't expect the units to be discounted any heavier than they already are.

Source: Destructoid [https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-confirms-end-of-wii-u-production-398733.phtml]

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Now, they just need to announce the end of 3DS production, and then I can declare that all the systems I own are vintage.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Good riddance to this 2 screen gimmick. And here's hoping The Switch will cause a butterfly effect where Microsoft & Sony copy it. I wouldn't mind have 3 portables that doubled has home consoles. It would at least then give me an excuse to buy an Xbox One & Replace my current PS4.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
"But its a rumour."

What is this now? 3? 4 times that reports on Nintendo sourced from Nikkei have been dead on right?

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
If this cheapens the price, I might consider finally buying one. Used of course, I'm still not up for giving Nintendo my money anymore.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm really confused. Wasn't it only a couple of days ago that Nintendo "squashed" the rumor and has not plans to discontinue Wii U production? Or am I genuinely having a stroke here... do I smell burnt toast.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Baresark said:
I'm really confused. Wasn't it only a couple of days ago that Nintendo "squashed" the rumor and has not plans to discontinue Wii U production? Or am I genuinely having a stroke here... do I smell burnt toast.
I thought that was about them supporting the Wii U.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'll wait to get one.

I mainly want it as a replacement for my Wii, given the new system won't be BC.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Jacked Assassin said:
Good riddance to this 2 screen gimmick. And here's hoping The Switch will cause a butterfly effect where Microsoft & Sony copy it. I wouldn't mind have 3 portables that doubled has home consoles. It would at least then give me an excuse to buy an Xbox One & Replace my current PS4.
Microsoft and Sony aren't the only companies in the Tablet business though. If this catches on, we might just see Asus, Samsung and the like come out with more beefy, game centric tablets.

The only thing that I could think of as a problem would be the means of delivery and storage for games. You won't see 50Gb games on Google Play or Itunes App Store anytime soon.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
Baresark said:
I thought that was about them supporting the Wii U.
Nope, that was about them making them period. Keep in mind it was announced way earlier this year that Fall 2016 was when the Wii U production would stop. Both times Nintendo said it wasn't true and both times the main source (Nikkei) was dead on. They've honestly been extremely accurate when reporting on gaming companies in Japan. When they reported the launch date of the 3DS XL, Nintendo denied it, and then proved Nikkei right.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
bluegate said:
Jacked Assassin said:
Microsoft and Sony aren't the only companies in the Tablet business though. If this catches on, we might just see Asus, Samsung and the like come out with more beefy, game centric tablets.

The only thing that I could think of as a problem would be the means of delivery and storage for games. You won't see 50Gb games on Google Play or Itunes App Store anytime soon.
If that lead to an actual Steam Machine Tablet (instead of just Smach Z) I might be for it. On the other hand the Steam controller is the worst controller I've ever used. Gabe really should've went with 2 control sticks instead of 2 touchpads.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Man am I glad I waited and haven't gotten one yet. I felt burned enough as it was after I got a wii and nintendo turned their back on core gamers. I was about ready to pull the trigger on this thing when it came out they were working on another console; between that and splatoon not having real split-screen multiplayer really killed my interest.

Maybe I'll snag one on clearance as I really want bayonetta 2, smash bros, and mario maker. I think it was still a good console, just poorly advertised and lacking in games.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
I'll still keep mine's around since not only are many Wii U titles that I need to get back to, but also it's my replacement Wii for all my Wii titles.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Why lie to the consumer only to admit you have lied days later? It shows nothing but contempt. Nintendo will see no business from me and has not for some time.