Nintendo Defeats Sony, Apple is "Enemy of the Future"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
I disagree with what they are doing. I don't give them money. Easy.
But who are "they"? There's a ton of game developers not joining in with that marketing scheme who are still releasing on consoles. Nintendo isn't the only one who makes games for the Wii, Sony isn't the only PS3 developer and Microsoft isn't for his 360.

Plus, it's just Nintendo who really aims at the family market, the other ones barely are; Microsoft is aiming at the average college student, Sony is aiming at the 'hardcore' gamer. It'd be a stupid business move to try to really combat Nintendo on that front.

And once again, it's counter-productive. Buying, say, a Wii does not equal buying Nintendo's family marketing scheme. If anything, not buying those games and still getting a Wii shows a more active response; I don't like the direction this console is trying to take, so I'll stick with these titles.

If lots of people would do that it would send out a powerful message to more traditional gaming developers; it's not just the family games who are popular on this platform, we like these traditional games too. That's an incentive that makes the scale tip in your favour, tips it away from the family marketing strategy and in the end might propel Nintendo to market the console to other crowds. What you're doing just makes it worse, gives Nintendo more reason to continue marketing their console the way they're doing.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Okay. I can see you don't get my point at all so I will use an extreme example.

Say, for sake of this example, there was some company that made shirts. Now, say there was one or two shirts you thought were okay and you were thinking about buying them. However, before you do, you discover this shirt company happens to also have a white supremacy line of clothing. Sure, you can buy the shirts you like, but do you want to give money to that company? No?

Neither do I.

I am certainly not saying white supremacy is anywhere near as insanely stupid as Microsoft and Sony choosing to sell to a specific market. There is nothing wrong at all with them wanting to do this - free market for the win.

However, I don't like their new focus and I don't want them to have my money.
I get your point, I just don't see it's relevance or why it should make sense. In your t-shirt example it's the same company that makes the racist shirts, this does not translate well to the matter at hand because it's not just the company that employs the marketing scheme you don't like that makes games for their platform. There's a lot of completely unaffiliated companies that make the majority of the actual games.

Again, it's not like you support a console producer's new focus simply by buying the console. You only do so when you fall for their marketing scheme, buy the games and services they want you to buy so that more developers will develop the kind of games they market which in term attracts more of the focus group and get the whole snowball effect going.

Plus it's not like PC exclusives aren't aimed at a certain group either (think titles like Starcraft, Crysis, Metro 2033), and it's just Nintendo that's taking the family friendly route so I have no idea what you have against the other consoles.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
You don't get my point at all so we will have to agree to disagree.
I do, again I just don't see how it makes sense. PC games are marketed somehow, consoles are marketed somehow, console games are marketed somehow, everything is marketed somehow, what's the big deal?

And again, what's the beef with the other consoles? Nintendo has it's family direction, apparently you don't like that, fine, neither do I. But what's with the other console's marketing positions then?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Okay. I can see you don't get my point at all so I will use an extreme example.

Say, for sake of this example, there was some company that made shirts. Now, say there was one or two shirts you thought were okay and you were thinking about buying them. However, before you do, you discover this shirt company happens to also have a white supremacy line of clothing. Sure, you can buy the shirts you like, but do you want to give money to that company? No?

Neither do I.

I am certainly not saying white supremacy is anywhere near as insanely stupid as Microsoft and Sony choosing to sell to a specific market. There is nothing wrong at all with them wanting to do this - free market for the win.

However, I don't like their new focus and I don't want them to have my money.
I get your point, I just don't see it's relevance or why it should make sense. In your t-shirt example it's the same company that makes the racist shirts, this does not translate well to the matter at hand because it's not just the company that employs the marketing scheme you don't like that makes games for their platform. There's a lot of completely unaffiliated companies that make the majority of the actual games.

Again, it's not like you support a console producer's new focus simply by buying the console. You only do so when you fall for their marketing scheme, buy the games and services they want you to buy so that more developers will develop the kind of games they market which in term attracts more of the focus group and get the whole snowball effect going.

Plus it's not like PC exclusives aren't aimed at a certain group either (think titles like Starcraft, Crysis, Metro 2033), and it's just Nintendo that's taking the family friendly route so I have no idea what you have against the other consoles.
Cowabunga, you are arguing with someone who most likely has borderline personality disorder.

She sees the entire world in terms of all "good" and all "bad". Consoles are "bad" to her. "Bad" is a threat to "good". Since PCs are "good", then PCs and consoles are clearly in some sort of death struggle in the world she has constructed in her imagination.

In her world, consoles are a threat, so they must die. She can even modify the meaning of the word "die" if she needs this to happen. So, even though consoles are increasing in popularity, they are "dying", so her world is improving. Go figure.

I wouldn't have jumped in and commented, but you're repeatedly asking for reason from someone who doesn't really appear to have the capacity for it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
PhiMed said:
Cowabunga, you are arguing with someone who most likely has borderline personality disorder.

She sees the entire world in terms of all "good" and all "bad". Consoles are "bad" to her. "Bad" is a threat to "good". Since PCs are "good", then PCs and consoles are clearly in some sort of death struggle in the world she has constructed in her imagination.

In her world, consoles are a threat, so they must die. She can even modify the meaning of the word "die" if she needs this to happen. So, even though consoles are increasing in popularity, they are "dying", so her world is improving. Go figure.

I wouldn't have jumped in and commented, but you're repeatedly asking for reason from someone who doesn't really appear to have the capacity for it.
That...sounds a bit harsh, judging from those comments. I ain't one to judge about those sort of things.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
Ah well. You argued your points very well and I get what you're saying, but we just don't see eye to eye. No biggie :)
Wait a second, it's not that, I just don't get it. An adversity to the Wii sure, that has a clear marketing strategy that conflicts with many more traditional gamers, but what's with the rest? What direction are they taking that's apparently so awful for you?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Every console on the market is making a push towards family friendly, easy access games. They have been edging towards it for quiet some time, and now that Sony and Microsoft are going big on their -- soon to fail -- motion controllers, I've washed my hands and backed out of the arena.
No they're not, Sony and Microsoft would be foolish to attempt that, with Nintendo's massive foothold in that segment of the market.

Are they trying to grab a bit, sure, but it ain't their marketing focus. Of the 2, Microsoft does it the most yes, but for the most part they're still trying to appeal to the Average Joe, neither the hardcore gamer or the happy family but your average college-age person. Last E3 made that even more clear, talking big about online on-demand services for sports and movies, connecting to Facebook and all that ("Look at me I'm so cool uploading my Stupid-Dance-Game pictures to Facebook automatically!".

As for Sony, they're doing anything but hat, despite that new Eyepet thing. The Move commercials alone point that out clear enough, telling us how their device isn't so simple as the Wii (oh sure they don't call it by name, but who are they fooling?), with games for the 'real gamer', and 2010's E3 made that clear. It's pretty much their new business strategy after their failed attempt to sell the PS3 as a "multimedia device".

That's why I didn't get your aversion, they're not making a real move for the family market, that hole is closed shut now. Apple has found a new gap in the handheld market, hence the article here, but that's about it.

As for the motion controllers, thankfully they're optional, unlike the Wii, and at least Sony comes with games like this:
Looks delightful to play after a harsh day at work.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
RicoADF said:
Stubee said:
If Apple ever released a console you know it will cost 5 times as much as an xbox and do half as much.
And yet it would still sell well because it would be called an iSole and people would fall for the shiny casing & interface.

Pffft that's complete baldurdash..

*looks at iPhone* Ooooh shiny!!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
As I said earlier, we don't agree. No point in continually going back and forth.
This has little to do with agreeing or not, you're just wrong about that being Sony's and Microsoft's business strategy.

I would've stopped long ago if that wouldn't be the case, but it simply ain't true that they're both marketing their consoles to a family friendly focus group like Nintendo is doing, I've made it clear why that is but you ain't giving anything that proves your point or that disproves mine.

So let me just ask it; what makes you think that Sony and Microsoft are going down Nintendo's road?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Every console on the market is making a push towards family friendly, easy access games. They have been edging towards it for quiet some time, and now that Sony and Microsoft are going big on their -- soon to fail -- motion controllers, I've washed my hands and backed out of the arena.
Well honestly I do feel that Sony and Microsoft will more than likely fail, but the only hope I see for the Kinect and PS Move is just one game....one good game that probably won't make up for the fact that they will still fail

That game is Metal Gear Rising!!! *sigh* Damnit Playstation Move! is that the only thing you're good for?

Playstation Move: Don't blame me! I'm for the casual and family friendly gamers..

Me: You've betrayed us...

:'(

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
Pirate Kitty said:
As I said earlier, we don't agree. No point in continually going back and forth.
This has little to do with agreeing or not, you're just wrong about that being Sony's and Microsoft's business strategy.

I would've stopped long ago if that wouldn't be the case, but it simply ain't true that they're both marketing their consoles to a family friendly focus group like Nintendo is doing, I've made it clear why that is but you ain't giving anything that proves your point.

So let me just ask it; what makes you think that Sony and Microsoft are going down Nintendo's road?
You are free to try and keep this going, but I'm done.

Enjoy the rest of your day or night.
It ain't that hard to just tell why you think what you think, right? You've told me plenty of times what you think, fair enough about that, but not why. Doesn't make for a good discussion, and I'm really just interested in your point of view. We can be reasonable all this, right?

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
I wouldn't be so sure about that Nintendo... I can't speak for anyone else, but until you stop re-releasing the same old games with shiny new coats of paint and calling that progress, you'll be below Sony, Microsoft, and Apple in my book.