Nintendo Defends Breath of The Wild's Season Pass

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Defends Breath of The Wild's Season Pass

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1372/1372234.jpg
Nintendo says that the Breath of The Wild season pass content was only worked on after the main game's development wrapped up.

Last week, there was a fair bit of controversy surrounding IGN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169539-Nintendo-Announces-DLC-Pass-for-Breath-of-the-Wild] to defend the practice, stating that development on the DLC only started after development of the main game had wrapped up, and it was only ever conceived as a way to bring more game to its fans post-launch.

"It was tough, because we actually had a lot of debate in terms of do we announce it, how do we announce it. I think one of the things that's unique about the way Nintendo develops games is when we're working on a game, and certainly just knowing the history of Nintendo games, you guys know that it's essentially we use every last minute to make the game as good as we possibly can, and really what that means is that the dev team was working on the main game, finished the main game, and as they're starting to get to the very end and wrap it up, really they said, 'You know we've made this massive world of Hyrule, we've spent a long time building it. It would be a waste to just make one game and have that be it,'" Trinen explained.

[gallery=6949]

"We want people to be able to enjoy exploring this world, and so they started thinking about, 'Well, if we were going to do DLC, what would we do, how would we do it?' And you can see that in the fact that it's not... the DLC is not launching the day after the game or the week after. It's coming out several months later in the form of the first pack and then several months after that in the form of the second pack. And that's because the content is in development."

He said that he wished they had more information on the DLC to release when they announced it, saying that it would more than justify the price. He compared it to Mario Kart 8's DLC pack, which is simply an optional purchase for gamers who really love the franchise.

Source: via Dualshockers [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8IIIGZryGc]

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Not watching an hour long video but the article seems to suggest that there isn't already a Hard Mode in the game and the only Hard Mode is the one you have to pay for? That's going to upset alot of people who tried to defend Nintendo by saying 'it a NEW Hard Mode, the game already has a Hard Mode in it'.

He said that he wished they had more information on the DLC to release when they announced it, saying that it would more than justify the price.
We want you to buy this on a promise (and only the promise) that it will be worth it, trust us guys.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Look, I'll give'em the benefit of the doubt and buy into the notion that the DLC is still in the works...but when two of the trinkets in your DLC packs are a Nintendo Switch T-Shirt for Link to wear and a frickin' difficulty mode, I'm just going to roll my eyes and raise a very specific finger at your offer.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
RJ 17 said:
but when two of the trinkets in your DLC packs are a Nintendo Switch T-Shirt for Link to wear and a frickin' difficulty mode, I'm just going to roll my eyes and raise a very specific finger at your offer.
I like the cut of your jib.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
And not for one second do I believe their whiny defense, because they're advertising it before the games release, it's not all separate, they hardly ever let there games go down in price, and I'm still pissed at how over-priced the micro-transactions were for Smash Wii U! They're just seeing what they can get away with, that's all.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Nazulu said:
And not for one second do I believe their whiny defense, because they're advertising it before the games release, it's not all separate, they hardly ever let there games go down in price, and I'm still pissed at how over-priced the micro-transactions were for Smash Wii U! They're just seeing what they can get away with, that's all.
Well, they have learned that people will pay to play online and they have learned that people will pre-order DLC, this just confirms it. It's funny how so many people will say 'just wait to criticize until Nintendo gives us all the details'. That only encourages Nintendo to continue to be as vague as they can get away with.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...they do know about this thing called 'free content updates', right? Where you say, patch in things like boosted difficulty or map features after the fact? Hell, I'm fine with the season pass if it's got solid story DLC content in it (fine in terms of 'I still don't like it because it's a season pass but getting AAA to let go of that is impossible these days'), it's just the whole 'let's lock basic features behind a paywall' thing I'm not a fan of.

Oh well. At least it's only 20 bucks. That's the cheapest season pass I've seen to date, unless they pull a Bethesda on us later.

...fuck, nobody tell them about Bethesda boosting Fallout 4's season pass price, I don't want to give Nintendo any ideas.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Pretty mad at the locked hard mode. I would say a lot more to describe how I feel about this but that would probably get me a warning.

Wrex Brogan said:
...they do know about this thing called 'free content updates', right? Where you say, patch in things like boosted difficulty or map features after the fact? Hell, I'm fine with the season pass if it's got solid story DLC content in it (fine in terms of 'I still don't like it because it's a season pass but getting AAA to let go of that is impossible these days'), it's just the whole 'let's lock basic features behind a paywall' thing I'm not a fan of.

Oh well. At least it's only 20 bucks. That's the cheapest season pass I've seen to date, unless they pull a Bethesda on us later.

...fuck, nobody tell them about Bethesda boosting Fallout 4's season pass price, I don't want to give Nintendo any ideas.
Get with the times grandpa. It's 2017, free content updates are so 2012 and indie.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Wrex Brogan said:

This whole post is about saying 'I don't like it but I'll put up with it anyway'. This is why, as you say:

it's a season pass but getting AAA to let go of that is impossible these days
this is the current reality. Have some willpower, if you don't like it don't buy it. Don't try to justify the price so you can convince yourself to buy that which you don't like.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
WeepingAngels said:
Wrex Brogan said:

This whole post is about saying 'I don't like it but I'll put up with it anyway'. This is why, as you say:

this is the current reality. Have some willpower, if you don't like it don't buy it. Don't try to justify the price so you can convince yourself to buy that which you don't like.
...I don't buy season passes to begin with? It's just that as far as season passes go, it could be worse, which is a saddening thought. Hence my joke about 'don't tell them about Fallout 4' because fuck, they can get worse than locking a difficulty mode and map tools behind a paywall.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Wrex Brogan said:
WeepingAngels said:
Wrex Brogan said:

...I don't buy season passes to begin with? It's just that as far as season passes go, it could be worse, which is a saddening thought. Hence my joke about 'don't tell them about Fallout 4' because fuck, they can get worse than locking a difficulty mode and map tools behind a paywall.
I really, really don't like Season Passes which is why you won't see me trying to look at the bright side like 'it's only $20' or 'it could be worse'.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'll be waiting to get this maybe eventually.

What I want to know is, if I put 70hours on the main story in Zelda, (overall gametime can be like 300 hours but I estimate the storydriven hours to be around 70), and the new content gives 25hours of storydriven gametime, and so the price would be 1/3 of the original game and the content about the same. Then I might get it, just maybe. This was what they did with MarioKart8, game was 60, DLC packs were 30, DLC packs upped your racingtracks with 50% and characters 20(?)% for half the price of the original game, not bad, wouldn't mind it being cheaper, but it doesn't really feel like robbery.
Mind me, I didn't buy the DLC, was thinking about it, and the reason I didn't get it, wasn't the price.

I'll wait and see.

mhml1367

Feb 20, 2017
Nintendo Defends The Season Pass For The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

We?re less than two weeks away from the arrival of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but some controversy has already stirred up for the title, as Nintendo confirmed that a season pass will be available for the game, offering even more adventures for Link to embark on ? for a price.....

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
I'm no fan of Nintendo - not even going to bother with the LOLSwitch.

But there is nothing wrong with the DLC.

For the base price of the game it's Nintendo's right to decide how much to include.

If you don't like what you are getting for the base price, it's your right as a customer to not buy it.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
How does DLC for a zelda game work? I play that shit once, maybe another time years later. I understand DLC for crusader kings or civ or call of duty since those are games that you can play over and over and a variation might be fun. But zelda is a rather different beast. That should just be a polished onetime experience.

Hard mode might not be the worst idea for zelda dlc. I do hope that they do it remotely competently. Hardmode that I saw in previous zelda games was very poorly balanced. In link between worlds, I found not picking up heart containers and pieces of heart to be a better hard mode than the actual hard mode.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So the response is they suck their own dick rambling on about how great they are making games an then tell us "it's worth it, trust us guys".
How about no. First a paid online "service" and now season passes.
Nintendo really takes some big bites out of the shit sandwich that is every other console and then mixes it with their own brand of backwards shit like 32 gigs of internal storage in 2017 and treating people covering their products on youtube like garbage because they think the law is an one-way street that only serves them.

Let's see how people will like that cocktail.
I sure as hell won't fall over myself getting a switch.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Read all the comments so far, and all were pissed/bummed. And rightly so!
They are jumping on some really bad bandwagons, and "well at least they didn't to those bad things *before*" is NOT a good excuse for them starting now...

Paid Hard Mode is ridiculous. And claiming they made this stuff after finishing the main game.... WELL, that might be true!
After all, this Wii-U game was supposed to come out 2 years ago, wasn't it?! Held back to push the Switch........ :mad:

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I still find if bullshit that they're charging for a fucking difficulty mode. Even if it was developed after the main game. Darkest Dungeon recently got a new difficulty mode, Radiant Mode, that radically reduces how long the game is on TOP of quite a few new enemies, and Red Hook Studios didn't charge me a single freaking cent for it. And Red Hook Studios probably needs the money a lot more than Nintendo, Red Hook Studios can't just finally get around to releasing Mother 3 overseas if they're strapped for cash.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Keeping a difficulty mode behind DLC is scummy. Let's see them try to lock easy mode behind a DLC paywall and see how most of their playerbase likes it.

I bought the season pass for Fallout 4, and they didn't charge for the new difficulty mode they put out that actually added some new content like hunger/thirst/sleep needs, adrenaline buffs, disease, and disease-influencing medical items. That was free waaay after release and all the DLC had already come out, even though it required work from them. Why? Because Fallout: New Vegas had a hardcore mode that was similar, and some people were sad that it wasn't included in Fallout 4.