Nintendo Direct Tomorrow 2-17-21

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They're absolutely going to call it Triangle Strategy and it's stupid and I love it.

What I really don't get is the people who looked at this Direct and thought the whole thing was bad

Are we really this jaded?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They're absolutely going to call it Triangle Strategy and it's stupid and I love it.

What I really don't get is the people who looked at this Direct and thought the whole thing was bad

You forget that these are Nintendo fans. The same fans that love over inflate their warped expectations and hype, then wind up disappointed for some reason. The Direct had some decent stuff; I was just upset because of no Bayo3. They announced this game back in December, 2017. We have another case of (Japanese) developers announcing their games way too early.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Ehh, I'vve more or less came to watch these game showcases as they are without having any expectations. E3, PAX, etc. I just think people are salty about not having games they want to see. I mean BOTW 2 sounds like it's still in early development stage. IDK why people are expecting to see more

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

Can we talk about Knocked Up trailer? Because I feel so blue balled. Like a game with a bunch of videogame expy coming together sounds like a really interesting concept and then we were shown the actual gameplay. Which had nothing to do with that awesome concept.

I am so miffed right now...

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah. The game looks...fine? If you aren't already scratching that itch with Splatoon or Ninjala (Or if you vibe with this more than the other two), but I kinda want animated shorts with the out-off-game characters more

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
At least SW4 could be fun. I actually like the game. My main problem was the handling of DLC and the expansions. SW4-II was complete waste of time in this regard, because your save file and dlc could not transfer over, unlike past games. The bonuses and short as fuck campaigns were heavily lacking. The Empires expansion I heard is definitely better, but I usually don't deal with those. Spirit of Sanada was just them milking the game one more time. Not gonna lie, I love Vanilla SW4 mainly due to Kokosho, and certain other characters. She's is so out of place and fits within the universe the same time, it amazes and perplexes me.
Despite disliking SW4, I really enjoyed Empires, but you need to right kind of mindset to enjoy those games. I also thought Spirit of Sanada brought some improvements over the base game, but had plenty of its own problems. Never bothered with 4-II.

As for Koshosho, totally agree. For all my issues with SW4, she was a great and unexpected addition.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland

I don't think the whole thing was bad, but people did feel rather underwhelmed by it, compared to previous directs.

Which is fine, not all of them have to be 10/10 all the time.

Aiddon

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
Xenoblade 2 in Smash, Nobunaga-centered Samurai Warriors 5, remakes of Famicom Detective Club coming West, new Mario Golf, No More Heroes III, new SRPG from Square as well as remasters of Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana, Age of Calamity expansion, Skyward Sword HD, and Splatoon 3. God, it feels so fucking good to have another Direct. 2021 is looking to be a smorgasbord after 2020's relative lull

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Meanwhile I am asking Where the hell is Golden Sun sequel?
Snarky Answer: The sun has set on the IP.

Sombre Answer: I've been waiting for 11 years, and I'll probably be waiting the rest of my life. :(

Serious Answer: I've got a feeling that Nintendo doesn't see the need for Golden Sun. Similar to how Fire Emblem eclipsed Advance Wars, their 'signature RPG' series these days seems to be Xenoblade. That Dark Dawn undersold doesn't help either.

Perhaps. But I also figure that there's a ratio of what people are interested in to what people aren't.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
They bring out way too many Directs. They should be limited to one per year. They just don’t have enough going on
This is the first full-size direct in over a year. Last one was September 2019.

Nintendo: Oh, nobody likes the Skyward Sword port for the switch? Well, I guess we won't bother porting Wind Waker then.

I don't know. Why they chose this game out of all the ones to pick is beyond me.
I don't like Skyward Sword much, but I do think it makes sense. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker both already had HD remasters, more recently than Skyward Sword came out. Plus by allowing people to play without motion controls, this one will be a bigger change than just visual.

Now bring Star Fox Zero out without bloody obligatory motion controls and I'll actually play it.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
This is the first full-size direct in over a year. Last one was September 2019.

I don't like Skyward Sword much, but I do think it makes sense. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker both already had HD remasters, more recently than Skyward Sword came out. Plus by allowing people to play without motion controls, this one will be a bigger change than just visual.

Now bring Star Fox Zero out without bloody obligatory motion controls and I'll actually play it.
I was watching Mathewmattois talking about Skyward Sword(he has a whole series where he reviews the mainline Zeldas in detail) and one of his biggest gripes were the motion controls(both not being accurate enough for the job they need to do and being used far too much, such as the flying mechanic). So if they fix that it might make me want to play it(I know it has other issues, like FI).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I was watching Mathewmattois talking about Skyward Sword(he has a whole series where he reviews the mainline Zeldas in detail) and one of his biggest gripes were the motion controls(both not being accurate enough for the job they need to do and being used far too much, such as the flying mechanic). So if they fix that it might make me want to play it(I know it has other issues, like FI).
Fi is a little annoying, and I also found here a bit ill-fitted to the whole Zelda world. She speaks as if she's an AI half the time.

But (other than unavoidable motion controls) my main problem with Skyward Sword was the non-contiguous world. In almost all the great Zelda games, 2D and 3D, they accomplish this great sense of exploration and cohesiveness with a large, connected world. But in Skyward Sword, there are several areas on Hyrule's "surface" which are kept entirely separate: there's the mountainy bit, the foresty bit, and the deserty bit... but you can't travel from one to the other like an explorer in a real land. You have to dive up into the cloudy land above Hyrule (which serves like a hub) and then go back down again.

Ruined the cohesiveness for me, and ended up feeling like a game of disconnected levels, lacking what made Zelda charming.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

I never really thought about it but the Switch lost a lot of its utility because of the pandemic as everyone spent more time inside as mentioned by Jack and Nick.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I never really thought about it but the Switch lost a lot of its utility because of the pandemic as everyone spent more time inside as mentioned by Jack and Nick.
the only upside I can think of this is that there's a lot less stolen or missing Switches now. I really took my switch out even before the pandemic. I'll usually just take it over to my older brother's and that was about it. Otherwise it would stay plugged into the TV.