Nintendo Doesn't Blame Piracy for Poor Software Sales

YourlocalPCsnob

May 22, 2010
Dioxide20 said:
At least one executive gets it. Piracy would, in my opinion diminish if every game released was 5 star quality, with great after release support from developers.
Not putting malware on games would help too.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Piracy is a problem, Quality games sell well, what next? The moon is in outer space?

Seriously though who wants to pirate a DS game, there all affordable, and the good ones are usually worth your $20-40.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
He talks a good talk. But every dollar spent on anti-piracy measures is a dollar that isn't being spent in game development.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
John Funk said:
Nintendo Doesn't Blame Piracy for Poor Software Sales

Not that it won't be cracked within months at the latest, but eh, at least it's worth a try, right?

Not sure about this, see PS3... well, if they manage to make it pirate-free for as much time as sony has, it'll be very successfull...

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
You see what Iwata said? That is so true. Piracy is a problem that will never go away no matter how much they try to solve the problem and if the game is truly good, people will by it anyway. If companies want less piracy they should make better games and maybe even drop the damn price! Piracy is embrassed due to the cost of games so how about dropping the price on some off the game? You want proof that it's the costs fault? Look at the sales on XBLA! They sell tonnes of games there every month and it's because they're cheap.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
If you give people a reason to buy, they will buy. Most people are willing to pay for good games. I also think a lot of the games that get pirated are games people wouldn't have paid money for and therefore would never have played anyways. Of course there are some that pirate everything, but I don't believe that piracy that as wide spread of a problem some company's and groups try to make it out to be.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
GothmogII said:
Err, just how rampant -is- console piracy? I never really got that, as whenever it comes up people mainly tend to talk about torrents and file sharing websites, mostly in the realm of the PC.

I mean, I was aware that it happens, but I thought that used games were a bigger dint against consoles rather than piracy because of the relative difficulty involved compared to PC piracy. Then again, maybe I'm just out of the know, I did have a friend once offer to hook me up with the entire PSP library. (I didn't take him up on it by the by.)
in the west it isnt that bad but in asia... well you can get any console game you want in china despite the fact you cant actually buy the consoles there

znix

Apr 9, 2009
Piracy isn't all bad. Especially when it enables:

1. Try before you buy
2. Backup of games

You could argue that renting is the same as trying before you buy, but in my mind renting is just as bad as piracy. Only a fragment of the income earned on rented games ever goes to the content maker. Afterwards, the game is sold as used.

The backup argument stands for itself. You're allowed to make backups of your own games, but content makers make it extremely hard. Pirates to the rescue, helping the little guy.

Sure, some people pirate and never buy. But most these people were never buyers in the first place. It's a minority who would buy a game, if they couldn't pirate it. Most who cannot pirate something, to avoid paying for it, simply won't bother with it at all.

Thus it makes sense for companies to focus on their actual CUSTOMERS, instead of this crazy idea that piracy somehow matters in any significant way.

People only have a certain amount of disposable income. It would be insanity to assume that eliminating the ability to pirate suddenly would turn the Asian pirate customers into paying customers. Most people who pirate simply cannot afford it. The same goes for a lot of western pirates too, maybe with the exception of kids living at home, mooching off their parents, who pirate because it's "cool" :)

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Finally a developer isnt making excuses for them not wanting to get off thier lazy ass to do some actual work for thier money or lack of sales. Ive always loved nintendo for its respect for the gaming community.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
A quality game is like anything people are drawn to: They are more inclined to support it. There will always be pirates and those who attempt to cheat the system, but there are not always games and other media that more and more people can justify buying full-price. I find that I am often more compelled to simply buy more games/movies used or rent them instead of purchasing for retail. But if I know that a game will provide an experience that is long lasting and well-made, I consider its value to be higher and would rather support more of that.

Given all of the shovelware thrown out for game systems, it is harder to sway the masses with those titles as they hold them in low regard or value.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dioxide20 said:
At least one executive gets it. Piracy would, in my opinion diminish if every game released was 5 star quality, with great after release support from developers.
Even if it didn't diminish, sales would be higher and there would be little need to worry. So either way, it's a winner.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Finally, someone who gets it! It pisses me off how many people think pirates are to blame for every time they get low sales. I mean sure, sales will drop a little due to piracy, because the pirates aren't going to buy the thing if they don't like it, but most of them will buy it if they do like it, so it won't be too bad as long as the game is good. And really, if you made a crappy enough game that you're counting on sales from people who buy it only to find out they hate it, you don't deserve that money in the first place.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
To be perfectly fair, that is a very... eastern take on the whole piracy issue. The idea quality will essentially shame or make a person feel good enough about the product to lay down legal tender for a legal copy is very naive.

In possession of a pirated copy of an absolutely fantastic game, most "western" people will not think, "damn, I should pay money for this. The people who made this truly deserve it!" Conversely, these people wouldn't be customers anyway. They'd never buy a game. They may get one or two as gifts, but they'll typically be angered by this, as they'll feel they've been given something worthless.

But its not like a proverbial instantaneous and recursive end to piracy would turn these people into consumers either.

So... go nintendo. I guess.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Once again, Nintendo shows their long-standing wisdom. Acknowledging that piracy is a problem without saying "and this is the sole reason why game X didn't sell well" is a surprisingly rare and mature understanding of the issue.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
It's interesting to know how he thinks. I suppose making a game really good does negate the piracy issue. Still, I think I'll hunt pirates with ruthless prejudiced still anyways.