Nintendo Doesn't Consider Dead Pixels a Defect

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've heard Nintendo say some stupid things lately, but this takes the cake. I don't care what other companies do, your product is defective FIX IT.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Would like to see what Jeffers has to say about the switch and Nintendo recently

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Callate said:
...Um, radical idea, but... maybe we should see if this particular failure is especially common to Nintendo Switches before we mob up for another round of shovels and pitchforks? Or if they're willing to clarify their policy on returns? Or if, in fact, their screens are no more prone to this problem, and their policies no less out of line, than the tech that you've been using from various other companies all along?

I've never been one to say "it's okay because it's industry standard practice" as a means of creeping bad policies into play because the big boys are doing it, but as Bogos clarified are a lot of companies making a lot of LCD screens with resolutions similar to or even lower than what the Switch is offering, and they tend to have a similar stance on dead pixels. If you weren't up in arms about Samsung or LG, maybe don't pile onto Nintendo on this one just yet, merely because it's the popular bandwagon to jump upon?
No, panic and meme now, refuse to budge later. It's the gamer way.

Splarfenstein

Jun 21, 2016
Steven Bogos said:
Nintendo Doesn't Consider Dead Pixels a Defect

We have reached out to Nintendo for comment on this story, and whether or not Switch users who encounter dead pixels will be eligible for refunds.
Logged into this account for literally the first time since I've made it to post on this topic.

Here's something funny: most stores have a little policy that goes something like this: "If you have a receipt and want to return it, we'll let you return it, no questions asked, within a thirty-day-or-so-period!" Of COURSE you're eligible for a refund, because you're not paying Nintendo for the Switch, you're paying an intermediary like Gamestop or WalMart or Best Buy! Do you give money to Microsoft directly for an Xbox? Sony for your PSP? If there are defects in those, can you return them? YES!

Here's an idea: before you start hating on a company because it is the "In" thing to do, THINK.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This shows how tech-savvy I am am
This is the first time I hear about a dead pixel and what it is xD

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Most of you folks realize dead pixels aren't covered by pretty much every company that produces that stuff, right?
Pop quiz: How many nintendo products do you own?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
bjj hero said:
Most of you folks realize dead pixels aren't covered by pretty much every company that produces that stuff, right?
Multiple, and likewise for many other companies. Note: I'm not necessarily defending Ninty, I detest a shit ton of their practices, and generally have been disappointed with their overall policies for a long time, but dead pixels is a universally unsupported issue (or near-universally) to the point where it feels like a disingenuous argument to have when there are plenty of other things to take issue with... like availability of product, poor joy-con connection hardware, or the fact that games never seem to drop in price/go on sale...

Edit: Also a lot of the Nintendo products I own are bought used, years past release, mainly because I haven't been a big supporter of theirs despite loving the games for a while now.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
bjj hero said:
Multiple, and likewise for many other companies. Note: I'm not necessarily defending Ninty, I detest a shit ton of their practices, and generally have been disappointed with their overall policies for a long time, but dead pixels is a universally unsupported issue (or near-universally) to the point where it feels like a disingenuous argument to have when there are plenty of other things to take issue with... like availability of product, poor joy-con connection hardware, or the fact that games never seem to drop in price/go on sale...

Edit: Also a lot of the Nintendo products I own are bought used, years past release, mainly because I haven't been a big supporter of theirs despite loving the games for a while now.
I will not be getting switch but in the past that last point annoyed me that nontendo games never really come down in price.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
bjj hero said:
bjj hero said:

I will not be getting switch but in the past that last point annoyed me that nontendo games never really come down in price.
I'll end up getting a Switch at some point, partly because the new Zelda is something I want, partly because I collect consoles... I've a sickness.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
hentropy said:
Not really. Code of Conduct, I think. I'll let 'em judge that.

ima420r said:
It's not a defect, it's a feature!
Yeah, pretty much. Between that, the 3DS bricking, the Youtube video debacle, and the Nintendo Classic BS, I'd say that Nintendo can basically fuck off forever.