Nintendo DS - Game Recommendations

heavyfeul

Sep 5, 2006
Hey All,

I just got a Nintendo DS and I was wondering wht your game recommnedations are. I played New Super Mario Bros. till 2 am last night and I am trying to figure out a way to play more while I am at work today. That game is still addictive after all these years. Will likely go for Castlevania as well. I think the DS is the perfect platform for 2D scrollers and it has got glowing reviews. I would also love to see Okami come to the DS. Seems like a perfect match to me.

Anyway I would love to hear your guys' experience with some DS games that had you enthralled.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Kirby Canvas Curse - Since you like 2D scrollers, this is a fun platformer with great use of the DS technology. Don't let the cutesy fool you!

Also, I've not played it, but Animal Crossing has a big following around the office here. It seems strange, but the people who have liked it here have not been those that I would've suspected.

Additionally, maybe want to check out Phoenix Wright, if you enjoy that gumshoe/lawyer sort of thing. Phoenix uses both touch screen and microphone in gameplay, which adds an interesting dimension.

Oh! If you're a strategy fan, Advance Wars: DS is a must.

darshannon

Aug 2, 2006
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is a fine game. Not great, not overwhelmingly addictive, but fun. It's got an interesting battle system too. Makes you feel more involved.

Gpig [deprecated]

Sep 16, 2006
Kirby Canvas Curse just had a price drop to $20 so you have no excuse not picking it up. Phoenix Wright, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time are the other games I really like. I'm not a fan of Mario Kart but the DS version is supposed to be the best. Those are pretty much my must haves.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Yes indeedy, the DS version of mario kart is the pick of the bunch. Kinda what I would have expected MK64-2 to have been, except now its portable with wireless online multiplayer :)

I picked up polarium for super cheap and love it. Tis a really great puzzler that you can easily play for a couple minutes or hours. Also I've heard meteos is pretty damn good on the puzzler front.

I would also recommend trauma centre. I don't own it on the DS but I have played it quite a bit and I will be picking it up for the Wii on launch day.

Gpig [deprecated]

Sep 16, 2006
From what I've played on Meteos it seemed too spammy. It seemed like I could just scribble with the stylus and it would send things flying. Maybe there's more to it though. I came into it having already played and loved Lumines so I had some high expectations going in.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I just picked up a DS Lite a couple of weeks ago (my first handheld system) and I'm more impressed with the GBA games available. Great stuff! And with the brighter screen, GBA games have never looked better. ;-)

Sokaku

Aug 24, 2003
Lost in Blue: Pretty nice little survival RPG. 2 kids gets stranded on a desert island and you need to figure out how to get back to civilisation by inventing things from the materials gathered in the wild.

Mario Kart DS: Plain and simple, it rocks! Wi-Fi play is pretty fun.

Animal Crossing: Yet again interesting and visiting friends via Wi-Fi and interact with them is pretty neat. (btw I need more friend codes!)

Metroid Prime Hunters: Pretty good FPS adventure with Wi-Fi battle modes :)

Polarium: If you want an headache having fun, this puzzle title is for you.

That's all I have right now and haven't tried any others. Sucks that we can't rent DS games around here :(

heavyfeul

Sep 5, 2006
Sokaku said:
Sucks that we can't rent DS games around here :(
Yeah....I wish I could rent DS games to to give them a try. However, my local console game store (Game Crazy) does allow me to try out games before buying them. Might want to give your local game store a try to see if they have a similar policy. They might let you try used games at the very least.

Sokaku

Aug 24, 2003
You're probably right heavyfeul, I'll have to ask my local EB Games to see if it's possible.

On the bright side, lots of good DS games are coming out soon. Among others, Final Fantasy III all remade into 3D which is pretty cool. I've tried it at E3 this year and it rocks. :)

WanderingTaoist

Jul 16, 2006
Meteos is great, in combination with its music it has that great zen feeling. Once you "become one" with the game, it becomes a pure joy. I also second Phoenix Wright, Kirby and Advance Wars DS. Although most of the time of my DS went into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance:)

Oct 19, 2006
I owned a DS since its release, until around June of this year. I played Metroid Prime Hunters, and it was nice, not quite as good as its console incarnation, and it was a bit uncomfortable to sit still with it, but I would consider buying it. The other game I purchased was Super Mario 64 DS, and I enjoyed it greatly. I personally think it is worth playing again, even if you played the original, as there are new characters and levels. I know not of any other games -- I returned it because there was a lull, and I have never really gotten anything much out of hand-helds.

5parrowhawk

Oct 20, 2006
Bumping for the benefit of new readers...

I haven't found Nintendo's first-party stuff particularly enticing, to be honest. I can second Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars and Trauma Center; they're good, although Trauma Center is kind of difficult.

If you like 2D scrollers, Mega Man ZX might be your thing; it's also kind of difficult (in a good way), though.

My suggestion: Import, import, import. You won't look back. There are plenty of online stores out there which do import games.

Band Brothers (not to be confused with Band of Brothers) - Brilliant rhythm game. I don't consider myself a rhythm gamer per se, but 2 of the best games on the platform are rhythm games, and this is one of them. Better yet, get a couple of DS-owning friends to import as well, and get together to jam. Japanese proficiency is helpful when reading the menus, but you can pick up a translation guide at GameFAQs.

Ouendan (Cheer Squad) - The other rhythm game. Also amazingly sweet and lots of fun. Doesn't require (much) language proficiency, and I'm almost certain a translation guide is out there.

Chousoujuu Mecha MG - Best use of touchscreen since Trauma Center; think of it as a mashup of Wario Ware and Mechwarrior. Interested? The premise is that you pilot these giant robots, which are apparently inspired by old-school toys (think the first-generation Transformers and other stuff of approximately that vintage). The hook: most of the robots are controlled via the touchscreen. The D-pad moves the robot forward, back and turns; it's also used to jump (via double-tapping) and guard. Each robot, however, has a unique control panel (displayed on the touchscreen) with levers and dials, etc. Some of these are incredibly creative - for instance, the Hatman's torso and arms are controlled via a marionette-like handle with strings attached, whilst "archer"-class robots require you to pull back a bowstring and release it to shoot, and "gunner"-class robots generally require you to cock the weapon, either by moving a hammer or pulling back a charging lever, before pulling the trigger to shoot. It seems to need some Japanese proficiency (primarily for mission objectives), but it's usually possible to figure things out just by messing around. The story isn't exactly Booker Prize material, either, so you won't miss much. I'm currently playing this; it appears to be pitched at the kid market and toy nostalgics, but it's tons of fun.

nbarbour

Sep 13, 2006
This might be a stretch, but shouldn't we just buy the more weird-leaning DS games that got American releases to encourage publishers to consider U.S. releases for otherwise import-only titles? Might save a few bucks and the industry in the process. Mama Cooking is tight.

water_bearer

Dec 7, 2006
I'll put in my vote for Clubhouse Games. Simple games, lots of variety, great online.

Metroid Hunters is hands-down the coolest title on DS. IMO to achieve that kind of FPS quality on a handheld, damn...
the learning curve is on the high side tho, but the gameplay is fast, intense, and satisfying.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
One thing I recently noticed is that GameFly will rent GBA, DS, and PSP games.

FF III (DS) and FF V (GBA) are both quite good though, and both currently in my DS. It's kind of interesting to see the two games together, as there's a clear evolution of gameplay concepts between them.

svallee

Jul 17, 2006
Only three games I found fun:

- New Super Mario Bros
- Advance Wars: Dual Strike
- Castevania: Portraits of Ruins

Otherwise, I've been extremelly disappointed by all other big games. But I must be just crazy, cause I'm apparently one of the few ones that prefere to play on my PSP than my DS. Kirby Canvas is horrible. Mario Kart DS is a big bore compared to WipeOut Pure (with all the free add-ons).

Meteos is alright, but then I prefere Lumines and Mercury on PSP for puzzling around.

I don't want to trigger yet another DS vs PSP flame war. Just stating the opinion of someone having both plateform and, apparently have a different opinion on these two plateform than most other persons.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
svallee said:
I don't want to trigger yet another DS vs PSP flame war. Just stating the opinion of someone having both plateform and, apparently have a different opinion on these two plateform than most other persons.
Yet, you've chosen to say how disappointed you are with the DS and list PSP games that your prefer... in a topic about DS game recommendations. Interesting.