Nintendo E3 a little underwhelming

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Am I the only Nintendo fan who expected a lot more?

I mean Mario Kart and Smash bros got me pumped up, sure, but they only showed two(!?) new characters for Smash bros (I think that's a record for a Smash Bros reveal) . I guess I can't complain, one was the character I always wanted. The Zelda they showed was just Wind Waker HD again.. Not the new, still-as-of-now-unseen wiiU Zelda. Bayonetta 2 again.. Wonderful 101 again. If these things weren't that exciting to some people before, I don't know why they would be now. That Mario 3D world thing also looked a tad lackluster. Not because Mario is loosing his charm, but that style of Mario is. I know many of you wanted Galaxy 3, and I personally wanted a true successor to Mario 64. A sequel to Mario 3D land is fine, but even the original Mario 3D land was just 'good', nothing particularly pivotal. Then There is Retro Studio, who hyped up what they were making as "The game the fans have been wanting"... so, of course everyone thought they were talking about Another Prime game or possibly even another old Nintendo IP, like Starfox! Nope, just a sequel to that Donkey Kong Country game they made on the wii... which still looks good, but certainly not worthy of any hype that was building.

So yeah, aside from seeing Mega man and thinking that X game looks pretty snazzy, I am feeling pretty damned underwhelmed right about now. What did you all think?

EDIT##
[small]Yeah, I know Nintendo Directs come out periodically throughout the year. They may very well show more awesome things later that weren't ready yet... but still, eyes were on them right now more then ever.[/small]

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
It was OK. Non of the e3 presentations were particularly interesting. Though it was funny to see Sony shamelessly stab at Microsoft after all their recent PR screw ups and controversial XB1 decisions with that how to share games video. The PS4 actually looks like a decent console, but nothing particularly interesting from anyone.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I would have ran outside naked like Archimedes if they showed a new Star Fox game...

...I think they should have saved some previous game announcements for their E3 Nintendo Direct show.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Other then an Actual 3D Mario game, I was pretty much expecting all of what was shown. And even with Super Mario 3D World, I'm not disappointed. I did want to know more about Yarn Yoshi though...

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
I'm a little confused, I've heard people saying Nintendo's E3 was bad and that they've fucked themselves. I understand that Sony won E3 and that Nintendo could have done better, but the idea that Nintendo did terrible? I no understan.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
DaKiller said:
I'm a little confused, I've heard people saying Nintendo's E3 was bad and that they've fucked themselves. I understand that Sony won E3 and that Nintendo could have done better, but the idea that Nintendo did terrible? I no understan.
I think people are thinking too highly of Sony. Their reception had more to do with taking pot shots at MS then it did ACTUAL GAMES. And Nintendo had that in spades.

Dec 14, 2009
Pretty damn underwhelming if I'm honest.

They'd already sold me on Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101.

What I didn't want was, for all intents and purposes, 2 3DS ports (Mario and DK).

Smash Bros was a given.

No surprises, no hype, just... boring.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'll repeat what I said before: I think the thing is that while this had the best content, it was just kinda... there. It was a regular Direct showing. It had lots of games that people were looking forward to, and actual gameplay instead of pre-rendered trailers. Always positive things.

But there was no hype. Let's be honest people, until Square showed up, Sony's press conference was awful. But they brought the hype. They went on stage and pretty much spent the last 20 minutes giving Microsoft the middle finger in front of thousands of people.

I get Nintendo didn't want to be overshadowed by their competitors. Probably a smart move. But E3 is when you're supposed to bring the hype. Get people, whether they be the press, the investors or the consumers, pumped up about your products.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I knew it wasn't going to be mindblowing. I mean, why did you think they did a Nintendo Direct as opposed to an on stage presentation?
Because I knew that whatever they had to say wasn't going to be worth the time and money to announce a bunch of games we already knew about.
I didn't come in with high expectations, so I personally wasn't disappointed.

I am however very excited about the whole panel discussion with Gamefreak. Now THAT should've been a Nintendo Direct. But alas, we just have to wait for news sites to summarize the entire discussion once it happens.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
DaKiller said:
People literally went in with extremely high expectations.
I mean I get it. The Sony conference got us all pumped with adrenaline, but let's get real here- Nintendo said MONTHS ago that there wasn't going to be anything really spectacular at their E3 conferences.
I don't know why people set the bar up so high.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I knew it wasn't going to be mindblowing. I mean, why did you think they did a Nintendo Direct as opposed to an on stage presentation?
Because I knew that whatever they had to say wasn't going to be worth the time and money to announce a bunch of games we already knew about.

I am however very excited about the whole panel discussion with Gamefreak. Now THAT should've been a Nintendo Direct. But alas, we just have to wait for news sites to summarize the entire discussion once it happens.
I think it's because people like to try and downplay Nintendo's successes. Can't have someone being different in the gamersphere, now can we?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
It was about what I expected. Some more Wii U titles would have been nice. But I'm definitely picking up the console sometime soon. Until then I'm content to enjoy my 3DS. Pokemon XY is looking really good.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Aiddon said:
Dragonbums said:

I think it's because people like to try and downplay Nintendo's successes. Can't have someone being different in the gamersphere, now can we?
I agree. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't a crushing blow to them either. I'm not worried either way. Most people usually get two consoles per generation anyway. Since Microsoft botched their entire console race it's either WiiU or PS4. Both of which are at a fairly decent price.

One has to laugh though at the fact that EA really screwed up their relationship with Nintendo. Notice that despite claims that they are now working with them again, they didn't even get a spot on their Nintendo Direct. Not even a mention of them on their website.
That's what they get for blasting company's product on Twitter without even knowing if the Xbone was going to take off.

PoisonTaco

May 9, 2012
All I wanted to see is the next Super Smash Bros. That's what I got. That's the game that will get me to buy a Wii U. Also I really like how the Wind Waker is looking in HD. The Wind Waker is one of my favourite games ever and I'd love to revisit it in true widescreen and 1080p.

Seeing Megaman in Smash Bros brought a smile to my face. So pumped for that game!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
DaKiller said:

to be honest they didnt do anything really

the biggest things they did was announce that megaman will be in super smash brothers, well considering thats all everyone is talking about im assuming its the only worth while announcement somehow

i mean seriously it was just... there no new Zelda game, i mean yeah im excited for windwaker hd but wheres our new one? wheres our new metroid?
it was a whole lot of nothing not to mention the guy doing the commentary had the charisma of a somewhat cold glass of water

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I was left a little disappointed, I got news on the games I wanted to hear about, but the release dates are so far away! I guess I was just expecting a lot more, new games.