Nintendo E3 a little underwhelming

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
This might be why thy they chose not to do an E3 press conference: they didn't have much new to announce.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and a New 3D Mario game re-hashing even more old stuff.

Not impressed. Not in the slightest.

Except for X. The trailer song was horrible, I don't care about the mech-vibe and we didn't get to see actual combat gameplay yet - but damn it, if they can combine the looks of the trailer with everything Xenoblade Chronicles had to offer, I might actually have to consider buying a Wii U.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I agree. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't a crushing blow to them either. I'm not worried either way. Most people usually get two consoles per generation anyway. Since Microsoft botched their entire console race it's either WiiU or PS4. Both of which are at a fairly decent price.

One has to laugh though at the fact that EA really screwed up their relationship with Nintendo. Notice that despite claims that they are now working with them again, they didn't even get a spot on their Nintendo Direct. Not even a mention of them on their website.
That's what they get for blasting company's product on Twitter without even knowing if the Xbone was going to take off.
I'd give it a B+. Sure, we KNEW about a lot of stuff beforehand (new Smash Bros, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, etc) but they STILL had more content game-wise then pretty much all the other pressers combined. Furthermore we got specifics on those titles and so far they're looking GREAT.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
DaKiller said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Smash Bros was a given.

No surprises, no hype, just... boring.
You were expecting Mega Man? What else is in your crystal ball?
Would you believe me if I kind of said I was?

I fully expected him to show up in Brawl :D
But did you expect Wii Fit Trainer to kick some Yoga ass?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've been underwhelmed by Nintendo since 2001. So no, this was about exactly what I was expecting. Seeing as I've spent a lot of my life as a fan of Nintendo, I'm still holding out hope for a turnaround but at this point I'm having to step out as I cannot justifiably continue to financially support their direction.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
My only gripe, like Jeffers, was the release dates. My wife and I kept looking at each other saying "don't they want to sell Wii U systems and games this holiday season, not after when everyone's broke?" Not having a 3DS yet, I feel the sting when I hear of more badassery it has to offer from each Direct, and it was the same here. If there were no Bayonetta 2 (reason I picked up the console, as well as eventual Zelda) or X, it's like they're telling me I should have gotten a 3DS instead.

You wanted Zelda? Well the sequel to your favorite Zelda game is coming on 3DS.
You want Brawl? You can get it on 3DS and play it on the go, unlike on Wii U.
You want a badass RPG for your Wii U? You'll have to wait til sometime in 2014, meanwhile you can get SMT IV, Etrian Odyssey, and Fire Emblem on your 3DS.

They desperately needed to show some games that sell systems this year, and that didn't happen. They already left one holiday season barren, two in a row is not good. And with the PS4 priced at only 50 bucks more...ouch. I want Nintendo to do well, they're the only player left that exclusively deals in video games and provides that strange magic you can't find elsewhere. I just didn't see anything that'll make people choose the Wii U over the PS4 (probably over the Xbone at this point, my God), and it needed to happen this year. At least the 3DS is printing money I guess. I need one of those.

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Wii Fit Trainer is in new Smash Brothers.
Game over, Nintendo kicked everyone's asses.
(In all seriousness, though, I expect this game to look more and more awesome as the days, and the updates on the official page, go by.)

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm not quite getting the scepticism. Yes, not much surprises but still a lot of games! Really good suspicions being confirmed is still good news even if you already expected them.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
"Am I the only Nintendo fan who expected a lot more?"

Why would you though? Nintendo said, months ago, that they weren't having a big conference and would just be using E3 to reveal the next wave of games. It just seems underwhelming compared to what Sony and MS were revealing but Nintendo have already got their consoles on the market, they didn't need to talk about their DRM policies, used game policies, online stuff or anything else, it was all about games for them.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
At first I was a bit disappointed, however when I re-watched all of the trailers and game footage, most of the games shown off seem very solid and already have grown on me. The Sony conference wasn't much better, sure it was exciting to see Kingdom Hearts 3, the hardware, Destiny and Jack Tretton's great confirmation about PS4 policies and a few other reveals, but other than that, it was a boring conference for me personally.

However I will say I am pretty disappointed that Retro's game was just another Donkey Kong game, I would've loved to see them revive StarFox or F-Zero since we haven't seen them in awhile.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, so did they show off the same thing for Nintendo Direct and E3? I was hoping they were going to reveal a lot of new stuff while I was at work.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Nintendo so far has always drip-fed new information over the course of E3. I fully expect more to come before this is over.

Also, since what MS and Sony did this year didn't even marginally interested me at all, Nintendo is doing the best right now for me. But that's a whole lot of personal bias right there.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I really would like Nintendo to pick up the pace again. My first ever game console was the N64, best birthday present ever, and it would be nice to see them return to former glory. My Wii hasn't been used properly in close to half a decade now.

I haven't got any plans to get a Wii U yet, so I don't really mind that Nintendo is taking a while to get the bulk of their games out. Not great for those of you interested in the short term, but that's, luckily for me, not a problem I face. If/when they get a bunch of decent living room party games out then I'll think about buying the thing.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
Nintendo did address the reason they didn't release as many games as they were hoping in the first year, and that's mainly down to working on the games more. Which at the end of the day I can get behind as Nintendo games are some of the most highly polished games out there!

I liked the Nitendo direct. All the games looked absolutely fantastic & the Smash Bros Trailer has to be the best trailer of E3. Megaman just looks superb & the re-mixed music was brilliant! Nintendoes what Capcom don't. Also I thought the Wii Fit trainer reveal was quite funny. It makes sense to have her in after Game & Watch and R.O.B. I also thought the addition of the Art Academy game because of the Miiverse drawings was a great touch & shows that Nintendo pay attention to its community. Also the indie games that were revealed (which people haven't mentioned) looked really interesting.

What I also liked is that Iwata explained what the games were about. Something Microsoft's conference was severely lacking. As half the games didn't explain anything (though 80% were just CG cutscenes). I'm definately getting a Wii U. I didn't have a Wii so I'll be able to play the games I missed out on. Not to mention that buying a Wii U & PS4 will only be about £150 more expensive then the Xbox One. That does sound expensive but its still miles cheaper then buying an ipad!

I think Sony won E3 but Nintendo came a close 2nd, blwoing Microsoft away without being there.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
spartandude said:
i mean seriously it was just... there no new Zelda game, i mean yeah im excited for windwaker hd but wheres our new one?
Considering Nintendo's development cycle on the large console level Zelda games, people expecting a new Zelda title are expecting too much too early.

Think about it. The first release date of Twilight Princess was in November 2006 and Skyward Sword came out in November of 2011.

That is five years. On some fronts, Nintendo tends to take its time to develop their games. Which considering how the rest of the industry tries to force out the next installment of a franchise ever one to two years, and they tend to suffer for it, I think we should just give Nintendo time.

It hasn't even been two years yet since Skyward Sword. I think people are expecting things from Nintendo way too soon.

Besides, there is the whole Link to the Past 2 thing going on soon, which that and Wind Waker HD should tide people over till Nintendo can fully develop a proper new console Zelda game.

Do you really want Nintendo to start doing this:

New Legend of Zelda U

New Legend of Zelda 3DS

New Legend of Zelda U Improved Edition

New Legend of Zelda 3DS Improved Edition

Etc, etc, you catch my drift?

Mario might need to find another doctor besides himself if he keeps up all the overworking/overtime Nintendo is putting him through.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
I didn't watch the Live E3 thing, but what I'm seeing so far on Nintendo's youtube channel... they freaking nailed it.

The only thing Wii U is really missing right now is games.

I'm seeing full 2+ minute gameplay trailers for a TON of games. Old standbys like Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, Mario 3D, Donkey Kong and Smash Brothers. Plus some newer or less expected stuff like Rayman, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 (how am I just now hearing about this? it looks awesome)

Was it "the best thing ever OMG" ?? Na. But compared to MS tripping over their own feet, and Sony busy pointing and laughing at MS ... Nintendo is the only company focusing on exactly what I want from a video game console : VIDEO GAMES

Edit : Just noticed one more thing. Looks like Nintendo is the only company to figure out how digital downloads work. New Super Luigi U is coming out a full 2 months earlier and $10 cheaper for a download-only version, as compared to the boxed retail version. What that? It's cheaper and easier for Nintendo to just stream the bits to you?? And they're willing to pass those savings onto the player!? Sign me up.

(I could get a bit cynical about how the savings are only valid with a full copy of New Super Mario Bros U ... but it's a step in the right direction, no?)

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
The one thing I've noticed in regards to Nintendo's Direct stuff while Sony and Micro did their E3 presentation? Nintendo was actually talking to us as reasonable people/adults. While Sony and Micro were more towards us being ADHD afflicted children.

Nintendo: "Here, a few trailers and some gameplay footage. We're working this this and this, while making sure this happens."

Sony/Micro: "Games over here! Games over here! Ten seconds of trailer here! Twenty seconds of in game footage here! More games!"

But that's my eyes, so grain of salt.