Nintendo Finally, Officially, Reveals Super Smash Bros. 4's Secret Characters

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Finally, Officially, Reveals Super Smash Bros. 4's Secret Characters

Nintendo has finally put up galleries for three of the 11, as-of-yet-unannounced "secret" Super Smash Bros. 4 characters.

Super Smash Bros. 4 had a whole bunch of "secret" characters, that, due to an early leaker, haven't really been that secret for official site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137043-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Leaked-Video-Reveals-Three-Characters]. Well, at least three of them. Obviously, spoilers follow, so if you don't want these characters to be revealed, turn back now!

Ness, of the EarthBound series, Falco, of the Star Fox series, and Wario, of the Mario franchise, will all return in the new game. All three characters were in the previous game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Falco and Ness date back even further, with Ness being one of the original Nintendo 64 title's secret characters.

Here's some images of them in action:

[gallery=3309]

While we've seen these characters in the 3DS version of the game via leaked footage and screenshots, this is our first time seeing them in the glorious HD of the Wii U version.

There are still eight additional "secret" characters that gamers have discovered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137378-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Fan-Streaming-Early-Gameplay-Character-Leaks], but have yet to been officially revealed by Nintendo. They are: Gannondorf, Duck Hunt Dog, Mr. Game and Watch, Bowser Jr., Black Pit, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, and R.O.B.

Of the 11 secret characters, three are new, and the rest are returning characters from Brawl.

Now that the game is out in the US, what do you think of it? Do you think it works well on the 3DS, or are you holding out for the Wii U version that is set for release this holiday season?

Source: Nintendo [http://www.smashbros.com/us/secret/]

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
And once again, I have to wonder why on Earth there are so many Fire Emblem characters. Why some some more universally known ones, like (yes I'm repeating myself) Dr. Robotnik, Knuckes, or Tails? You cannot tell me that the idea of a Sonic/Tails vs. Mario/Luigi fight isn't making your inner 90's kid smile in glee.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Nooners said:
And once again, I have to wonder why on Earth there are so many Fire Emblem characters. Why some some more universally known ones, like (yes I'm repeating myself) Dr. Robotnik, Knuckes, or Tails? You cannot tell me that the idea of a Sonic/Tails vs. Mario/Luigi fight isn't making your inner 90's kid smile in glee.
Because Sonic isn't actually a Nintendo franchise, and putting more of it in what's effectively "Nintendo Avengers" is pushing it a little.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Nooners said:
It's because Fire Emblem is hot right now. Awakening is a great game and it sold like crazy, so its fans (like myself) want to see it represented. I'm super keen to play as Lucina and Robin because they're good characters in a game I love.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Looking at the pictures presented, I like the picture of Falco petting Pikachu, and him getting ready to body slam Luigi in the wrestling ring.

I still wonder if the decision to release basically the same game on two different platforms at different times will turn out for them. On the one hand, a number of people will probably only want one copy, and since the 3DS one came out first, that's the one they got. Not to mention that a lot of people will probably not care about the game after it's been out for a while. On the other hand, they may look forward to being able to play the game on a bigger screen and on the couch with friends. I have a feeling it's going to backfire.

The only other thing I can see happening is that the really competitive will get both versions, so they can practice their skills while on the go.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Yeah my boy Falco is back! I had no doubts that he would be but it's good to see my main come back in HD :)

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Drummodino said:
Nooners said:
It's because Fire Emblem is hot right now. Awakening is a great game and it sold like crazy, so its fans (like myself) want to see it represented. I'm super keen to play as Lucina and Robin because they're good characters in a game I love.
Unfortunately, lucina is a bit of a marth clone. kind of disappointed, but it should be expected. As for robin, he/she is awesome, but slow and has narrow standing smashes. Make sure you know where you aim with that person.

As for the topic, maybe I play a bit too much but I managed to get all secret characters yesterday... with some help. Especially getting bowser jr. you would need to do something kind of specific. It's a d'oh moment when you note how you are supposed to unlock him... Unfortunately ssbwiki already knew how to get the other characters... Whoops.

Ah well, more power to nintendo I suppose.

Now to get better with whom... Robin, shulk or sonic...

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
There are still eight additional "secret" characters that gamers have discovered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137378-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Fan-Streaming-Early-Gameplay-Character-Leaks], but have yet to been officially revealed by Nintendo. They are: Gannondorf, Duck Hunt Dog, Mr. Game and Watch, Bowser Jr., Black Pit, Jigglypuff, R.O.B, and Dr. Mario.
I won't let you guys forget about my main like that. Show the doctor some love!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Madmanonfire said:
Steven Bogos said:
There are still eight additional "secret" characters that gamers have discovered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137378-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Fan-Streaming-Early-Gameplay-Character-Leaks], but have yet to been officially revealed by Nintendo. They are: Gannondorf, Duck Hunt Dog, Mr. Game and Watch, Bowser Jr., Black Pit, Jigglypuff, R.O.B, and Dr. Mario.
Sorry about that! Thought I might have missed someone...

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
GamerMage said:
Madmanonfire said:
Steven Bogos said:
Dr. Mario is back in? WOOT! The Doctor is in!
he's just a re-skin. Don't get your hopes up, pal.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
Eh, I still would have rather see Chrom added to the list (possibly as an alternate costume for Lucina? Or vice-versa. Seems strange to reject him yet to have Lucina in-game. If they wanted to pick a Fire Emblem leading lady, Lyn and ...that female Paladin from Radiant Dawn who's name I can't remember at the moment both would have been respectable choices). Likewise, if we're going "alternate versions with somewhat different skill sets" like Dr. Mario, Black Pit, Samus vs Zero Suit Samus etc... then why not "Fierce Diety Link" as a heavier, two-handed sword user?

Still, its nice to see new characters on the docket. I have to wonder if they plan to sell expansions/DLC to add new characters, stages, and other content down the line. We have the technology now to do so. Of course, as much as I'd enjoy Smash in all its glory on WiiU, I'm not going to buy the system for what comes down to just a handful of games. Personally, I'd rather see Nintendo give up console manufacturing and instead create games for open platforms like PC (imagine the audience for Smash if sold on Steam!) and Android, while also making top-quality peripherals (ie controllers and the like) for said platforms. Ah well, not going to happen in the next few weeks that's for sure.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
GamerMage said:
CharrHearted said:
GamerMage said:
Madmanonfire said:
Steven Bogos said:
Dr. Mario is back in? WOOT! The Doctor is in!
he's just a re-skin. Don't get your hopes up, pal.
I don't care, the Doctor is still in, and I get to play as Megaman and The Duck Hunt Dog. This is going to be sweet.
To quote Mr. Bongiovi "Is there a doctor in the house?"

The game is a lot of fun, as I have come to expect from Nintendo's first party efforts. I was more of a Sony man the previous 2 gens (that being PS2, PS3 and PSP), even though I owned both a NGC and a Wii along the way. But Sony lost me over, pretty much, sheer incompetency, and now I'm giving the 3DS and Wii U some well deserved loved.

As for characters, I would like Captain Toad on the roster... Well maybe DLC. Big N knows how to make DLC right, most cases.

Now, going back to kicking ass and chewing energy tanks with Mega Man. (cue Wily's castle song for the outro)
Cheers.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
I'd love to see some classic Nintendo characters like Mike from StarTropics (yo-yo, baseball bat, etc. as weapons), one of the Belmonts from Castlevania, etc. Would keep the cast more fresh than recycle the same ones over and over again...

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Drummodino said:
Nooners said:
I would've liked to see Tharja, myself...

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
I really don't understand the continued secrecy from Nintendo. Once the game hit Japan, everybody in the world knew exactly who made it. This isn't even about leaks anymore. I watched Jwittz unlock the Duck Hunt Dog weeks ago.