Nintendo "Frustrated" By Chinatown Wars Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo "Frustrated" By Chinatown Wars Sales

Nintendo's Cammie Dunaway says the company is "frustrated" by the fact that in spite of stellar ratings, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars [http://www.rockstargames.com/chinatownwars/] remains a relatively poor seller on the Nintendo DS.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is an odd little game. It received almost universal critical acclaim when it was released and packs a sold terribly [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/grandtheftautochinatownwars?q=grand%20theft%20auto:%20chinatown%20wars], banging out only 89,000 in its release month, less than half the sales predicted by analysts, which were themselves well below Nintendo's expectations. Many observers saw the disappointing numbers as the most convincing evidence yet that core games just don't sell on Nintendo platforms; after all, if a new, highly-rated GTA title won't move units, there's not much hope for anything else.

"It's frustrating, quite frankly," Dunaway, the executive vice president of sales and marketing at MTV [http://www.nintendo.com/]. "There have been mature titles - Resident Evil, the first Call of Duty - that have sold over a million units and with something like GTA, there's great content there."

One of the biggest problems, she said, has been a lack of marketing support for the title. Nintendo expects the game to have a "long tail" but she said the company needs to continue to support the title into the future in order to attract new gamers and build a following. "Part of what's needed is, you have to continue to put marketing support behind these titles," she said. "It's one of the things that we've really learned over the past few years."

"The old dynamic of, 'throw it on television for a few weeks and then move on and forget it,' just doesn't work, because consumers are out there, new consumers [are] coming in all the time who are interested, so you've got to keep coming up with ways to expose it," she continued. "So I hope that that's something that they will do with GTA."

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Lack of marketing support? Bullshit. I saw enough ads of chinatown wars. It's quite obvious that the flashcards are the real problem here.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I kind of agree with her. I haven't seen many ads for the game, recently or at launch. Granted, I have no interest in the game, but I think smaller prolonged marketing could help the title.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Crossborder said:
Lack of marketing support? Bullshit. I saw enough ads of chinatown wars. It's quite obvious that the flashcards are the real problem here.
Seconded, I've seen plenty of billboards on railway stations and adds on TV.

I think the main problem is that most people don't associate the DS with a series like GTA. Most people who own a DS didn't buy it for titles like that anyway, and aren't interested in it. It's a shame though, because it really is a really good game, definitely one of the best DS titles.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
shame really, apparently the game is pretty good. You'd expect a game like this to sell very well, even on the DS.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Why not make a GTA-bundle for the DS? Wouldn't that help marketing for "new consumers" coming in all the time?

Oh well, maybe people just don't want that game on their DS. I wouldn't want that game anywhere else either though. Not my style.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
The problem is that 3d is what made gta fun. The old top down 2d gtas weren't as fun. Going back to play them after playing the 3d ones makes the 2d ones disappointing and dull. Should they be that surprised that a top down 2d one for the ds doesn't draw the same appeal?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
I should probably point out that the PSP version of Chinatown Wars has been out since October and has yet to sell 100,000 units (not counting PSN).

I checked the current sales of the DS Chinatown Wars on VGChartz.com, and its currently at around 800k sold. In terms of an M-rated video game on a handheld system that normally doesn't have M-rated games, that's pretty good. Not exactly a breakout hit, but I'm willing to bet Rockstar made a good profit from it. I'm guessing one of the reasons why sales were initially so slow has to do with the nature of the game itself. It's a pretty radical departure from the standard 3D GTA games, so it's not hard to imagine why so many were reluctant to take a chance with it. That could also explain why the PSP version is selling so poorly, since the "Stories" GTA games have sold millions on the system.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
I should probably point that the PSP version of Chinatown Wars has been out since October and has yet to sell 100,000 units (not counting PSN).

I checked the current sales of the DS Chinatown Wars on VGChartz.com, and its currently at around 800k sold. In terms of an M-rated video game on a handheld system that normally doesn't have M-rated games, that's pretty good. Not exactly a breakout hit, but I'm willing to bet Rockstar made a good profit from it. I'm guessing one of the reasons why sales were initially so slow has to do with the nature of the game itself. It's a pretty radical departure from the standard 3D GTA games, so it's not hard to imagine why so many were reluctant to take a chance with it. That could also explain why the PSP version is doing so horribly, since the "Stories" GTA games have sold millions on the system.
Yeah 800k on a handheld isn't so bad, but that is a global figure and not just one area (to clarify: both the US and Europe account for about half the sales each, with Japan only at about 20k).

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
So does this news story count as part of the new ways to expose it campaign? Smooth moves Mr nintendo, smooth moves.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
DrDeath3191 said:
I kind of agree with her. I haven't seen many ads for the game, recently or at launch. Granted, I have no interest in the game, but I think smaller prolonged marketing could help the title.
Yeah, I saw 0, nothing at all. Not even in my local game store no advertisement was put up for it.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I have the original GTA for the PC. I can understand why people wouldn't want to buy a 2D GTA game...

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Makes sense to me... I wouldn't think that the usual market for a Grand Theft Auto game is really all that into handheld consoles.

Beltaine

Oct 27, 2008
What's so frustrating about it?

You put a mature demographic action/adventure game on a portable system that caters to kids and casual gamers.

Want to know where this game would've been more successful? WiiWare, PSN, Live Arcade.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Mr. Fister said:
I should probably point out that the PSP version of Chinatown Wars has been out since October and has yet to sell 100,000 units (not counting PSN).

I checked the current sales of the DS Chinatown Wars on VGChartz.com, and its currently at around 800k sold. In terms of an M-rated video game on a handheld system that normally doesn't have M-rated games, that's pretty good. Not exactly a breakout hit, but I'm willing to bet Rockstar made a good profit from it. I'm guessing one of the reasons why sales were initially so slow has to do with the nature of the game itself. It's a pretty radical departure from the standard 3D GTA games, so it's not hard to imagine why so many were reluctant to take a chance with it. That could also explain why the PSP version is selling so poorly, since the "Stories" GTA games have sold millions on the system.
Hmmm... true indeed. Hey, 106th position isn't that bad, especially considering that this is just the 2nd Grand Theft Auto on a Nintendo device. And I think that the game was marketed just fine. (I hate this non-marketed excuse) I wonder how would the results be the other-way around, i.e. if it had been released on the PSP first and then on the DS.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Not surprised really, the game may have gotten good ratings, but it didn't look like more than the original GTA top down games, which I personally never enjoyed that much.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Zenn3k said:
Not surprised really, the game may have gotten good ratings, but it didn't look like more than the original GTA top down games, which I personally never enjoyed that much.
Speaking as someone who played it, it was different. In that a lot of the improvements by the 3D iterations were put into it, as well as it being graphically...better.

The real problems with it were a bit of an over-reliance on using the touchpad for certain things which led to it being hit-and-miss, and the fact that it was absurdly short for a GTA game.

Nitro_Hedgehog

Mar 25, 2009
Good ratings mean nothing, most of them are paid to say great things about it anyway.

best example would be GTA IV on the pc (worst porting job EVER). at the time of release, IGN rated it a 9.2 out of 10 with the "readers average" at 4.2.

come to think of it, when was the last time ANYONE was influenced by ratings alone?

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Crossborder said:
Yeah, there were loads of those phone-box adds all over my hometown, so unless we got all of them, I don't think lack of adverts is the reason.