Nintendo has bought developer Next Level Games

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Is Mario Kart or any other racer this FAST? Also no items like throwing shells into someone. This game is pure skill based racing.
This is why I can't get into Mario Kart. It's a decent game series, but I get so bored of it after playing for maybe 30 minutes (Except for Double Dash when I was younger). After playing so much F-Zero and Fast RMX, there's little that hits the raw speed and reflexes needed to master F-Zero on the higher difficulties. It's a rush that no Mario Kart can pull off. Though I do enjoy Need For Speed and that's a fair bit slower still

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's a rush that no Mario Kart can pull off. Though I do enjoy Need For Speed and that's a fair bit slower still
Shoot, I can't even enjoy most of the NFS games anymore. Even the good ones. Nothing against the something that is a bit slower, you can see quality drop as the series got in to the HD era. I heard NFS Heat was okay, but it has a shitty start and tutorial. My older brother liked it, but he got the game on sale for his XBONE at the time. Wipe Out and Burnout are the only other racers that go super fast, but not still not as fast as F-Zero. Wipe Out comes close with one of its modes in the Omega Collection where racing and completing different zones makes your ship go faster and faster.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Shoot, I can't even enjoy most of the NFS games anymore. Even the good ones. Nothing against the something that is a bit slower, you can see quality drop as the series got in to the HD era. I heard NFS Heat was okay, but it has a shitty start and tutorial.
It does get a little wonky at the start, yeah. But I genuinely really enjoyed Heat. I'd put it in my top 5, maybe even my top 3 in the series. (Mild gushing over the game ahead!)

The weird point system to determine where your car stacked up before a race was sorta odd and engine upgrades were kinda pointless in that most of them raised the same stats and numbers regardless of what upgrade or order you did. It also had a bad habit of being kinda glitchy when switching between online and offline mode. But as far as the racing goes it was pretty great, and the pursuits were awesome. Cops were ludicrously vicious in this game. In 2005's Most Wanted you'd maybe hit heat 4 or 5 before you got any major challenge, and even then they'd throw dozens of cops at once. In Heat all they needed was about 4-8 at a time and heat level... 2 or 3 was equal to Most Wanted's heat level 4 or 5 (So imagine how terrifying Heat's 4 and 5 heat levels were). It was a blast, it make the cops an actual serious threat. The game has just the right bit of fan service for lovers of particular games in the series too, which was fun to see

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
My biggest complaint about Heat is the lack of meaningful coop. Almost every story arc prattles on about creating a crew, but wont let you play these encounters with friends. I actually have 2 friends who are about lvl 25 in game, with 0 story progress, because they enjoy playing as a group, but have no interest in solo play.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
My biggest complaint about Heat is the lack of meaningful coop. Almost every story arc prattles on about creating a crew, but wont let you play these encounters with friends. I actually have 2 friends who are about lvl 25 in game, with 0 story progress, because they enjoy playing as a group, but have no interest in solo play.
Yeah, that part was kinda annoying when I was trying to play with my friend as well. It's definitely not without its flaws. But I still really enjoyed it despite them