Nintendo Hoping for Strong Wii U Holiday Sales

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
spartandude said:
Oh honey, its not going to happen. now as much as i like nintendo (probably getting a 3ds in a few months) your competition is going to be too great during this years holidays unless a killer app comes miraculously comes out then
They've got an exclusive coming out every month from July onwards, and more lined up in total than either the PS4 or Xbone. You honestly think there won't be a killer app lined up in there somewhere?
I meant if they want sales to pick up this Christmas they need the killer app now, Wind Waker might do it (and has got me drooling) but when we've got both the PS4 and Xbox One coming out as well, i think most people will flock to those. Sure sales will pick up a bit but i highly doubt by very much.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
ImSkeletor said:
Man Jeffers you are the worst kind of fanboy. Yeah cause ps4 is only releasing dude bro shooters like Knack, Infamous Second son, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Don't Starve, Oddworld, driveclub, Elder Scrolls Online, and NBA 2k14 among others. Seriously only you would look at the like 3 shooters and pretend like that's all there is.
Everything bolded is not a launch title, and everything italicized is a multiplatform game (Which includes the PC and WiiU). At this point, the XBone is more of a kid friendly console then the PS4 is. Plus, Infamous Second Son and Elder Scrolls Online are not at all Kid Friendly (I wouldn't let my kid play it... Though I don't have kids).

spartandude said:
I meant if they want sales to pick up this Christmas they need the killer app now, Wind Waker might do it (and has got me drooling) but when we've got both the PS4 and Xbox One coming out as well, i think most people will flock to those. Sure sales will pick up a bit but i highly doubt by very much.
Tell that to the 3DS. It didn't have any hard hitters until November (Super Mario 3D Land, fallowed by Mario Kart 7 at December), but when it did, it skyrocketed to success. Of course, the 3DS never had any competition (Because, let's face it, we all knew the Vita was gonna be a failure), while the WiiU Certainly will. However, as I've stated on another thread, the WiiU will have 11 good games by Christmas, while the PS4 and XBone will only have 2-5 good games. The WiiU Can easily sell more then both of them this Christmas.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I stand corrected then, and I hope they carry the effort further and really position themselves as a kind of "breathe of fresh air" in gaming.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
spartandude said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
spartandude said:
Oh honey, its not going to happen. now as much as i like nintendo (probably getting a 3ds in a few months) your competition is going to be too great during this years holidays unless a killer app comes miraculously comes out then
They've got an exclusive coming out every month from July onwards, and more lined up in total than either the PS4 or Xbone. You honestly think there won't be a killer app lined up in there somewhere?
But you're thinking of OUR demographic, not Nintendo's demographic. Nintendo has never really put its money on "hardcore gamers" (maybe this is why they are so hated by the mainstream gaming community) but on children. Nintendo sees itself as a toy company and I mean this as a positive thing. It lets Sony and Microsoft fight over the "hardcore" crowd and instead seeks to entice new people into becoming gamers. It worked for the Wii and with the 1st party titles coming to the WiiU it looks like it will work for that system too.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
ImSkeletor said:
Man Jeffers you are the worst kind of fanboy. Yeah cause ps4 is only releasing dude bro shooters like Knack, Infamous Second son, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Don't Starve, Oddworld, driveclub, Elder Scrolls Online, and NBA 2k14 among others. Seriously only you would look at the like 3 shooters and pretend like that's all there is.
Everything bolded is not a launch title, and everything italicized is a multiplatform game (Which includes the PC and WiiU). At this point, the XBone is more of a kid friendly console then the PS4 is. Plus, Infamous Second Son and Elder Scrolls Online are not at all Kid Friendly (I wouldn't let my kid play it... Though I don't have kids).

spartandude said:
Tell that to the 3DS. It didn't have any hard hitters until November (Super Mario 3D Land, fallowed by Mario Kart 7 at December), but when it did, it skyrocketed to success. Of course, the 3DS never had any competition (Because, let's face it, we all knew the Vita was gonna be a failure), while the WiiU Certainly will. However, as I've stated on another thread, the WiiU will have 11 good games by Christmas, while the PS4 and XBone will only have 2-5 good games. The WiiU Can easily sell more then both of them this Christmas.
Whether or not they are console exclusive or family friendly was not what I was argueing. I was Arguing that they had more than Brown/gray Broshooters as they only have like 2 or 3 of those and dozens of other titles.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Waiting on that price drop, Nintendo. No, seriously. I was an early adopter of your 3DS and felt robbed by that so I'm not gonna take that again.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
xaszatm said:
spartandude said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
spartandude said:
But you're thinking of OUR demographic, not Nintendo's demographic. Nintendo has never really put its money on "hardcore gamers" (maybe this is why they are so hated by the mainstream gaming community) but on children. Nintendo sees itself as a toy company and I mean this as a positive thing. It lets Sony and Microsoft fight over the "hardcore" crowd and instead seeks to entice new people into becoming gamers. It worked for the Wii and with the 1st party titles coming to the WiiU it looks like it will work for that system too.
The demographic they are aiming for is kind of irrelevant here tbh. my point is that the other consoles will soak up most of the sales from all demographics in gaming this holiday season which is what the thread is about. But also Nintendo did originally say they wanted to aim for "core gamers" (what ever that actually means) with the Wii U.
While i fully expect sales to pick up slight this Holiday season and pick up over the next few years im just saying they shouldnt expect such a large increase in sales at the end of this year

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
spartandude said:
xaszatm said:
spartandude said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
spartandude said:
The demographic they are aiming for is kind of irrelevant here tbh. my point is that the other consoles will soak up most of the sales from all demographics in gaming this holiday season which is what the thread is about. But also Nintendo did originally say they wanted to aim for "core gamers" (what ever that actually means) with the Wii U.
While i fully expect sales to pick up slight this Holiday season and pick up over the next few years im just saying they shouldnt expect such a large increase in sales at the end of this year
I don't know. I visit my video game store a lot (being the rich bastard that I am) and it seems to me that parents seem to favor the WiiU over the other two consoles while teenagers and college students (the people that make up "hardcore" gamers) seem to be more interested in either the PS4 or Xbox 1 (its even over here). It seems to me that the WiiU is shaping up to be a holiday killer as most parents seem to be waiting for a Mario game over what Sony might pull. Of course, this is just in my town, it could be different.

Hutcher

Apr 10, 2013
That's the thing though; Kids may have been the "target" demographic of the Wii, but sales to kids were not really what made the Wii such a success. The thing that prompted so many Wii sales was the fact that they made it so attractive to people who were not gamers. The controls were more accessible, the system price was lower, and many of the games were aimed squarely at people who didn't play mainstream console stuff.

Now, thanks to the rise of smartphones and tablets, this market is gone, and it's not coming back. The Wii and consoles in general have largely lost this market to the mobile industry.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I don't think any company is ever going to say "Nah, we're fine, we don't want anyone to buy our console" - in fact, scratch that, give Don Mattrick a couple of days and he might say that word for word.

But honestly though, I think the Wii U's problem is that most people only want it for maybe one or two games. Now hopefully that changes with some of the games that come out but I'm not so sure.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
inb4 Jeffers

The WiiU title I'm most looking forward to comes out in July, then the next one is Bayonetta 2.
July eh?...

Is it the boxed version of Super Weegee U? :D

OT: It probably will given how much stuff is coming out around then, and it being christmas and what have you.

Dec 14, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
inb4 Jeffers

The WiiU title I'm most looking forward to comes out in July, then the next one is Bayonetta 2.
July eh?...

OT: It probably will given how much stuff is coming out around then, and it being christmas and what have you.
I mean August -_-

This hot weather is shrinking my brain.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
SkarKrow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
inb4 Jeffers

July eh?...

I mean August -_-

oh. Pikmin 3 then? Thats on myt radar too. Theres awii u game per month for me til december iirc.

The hot weather is shite. Feels like I'm melting. Working at Greggs at the moment and let me tell you the heat makes my tolerance for retards drop.

Woman asks "Do you have any serviettes?"

I respond "You seem to have misunderstood the nature of the establishment. Use the paper bag."

Dec 14, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SkarKrow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
inb4 Jeffers

July eh?...

I mean August -_-

oh. Pikmin 3 then? Thats on myt radar too. Theres awii u game per month for me til december iirc.

The hot weather is shite. Feels like I'm melting. Working at Greggs at the moment and let me tell you the heat makes my tolerance for retards drop.

I respond "You seem to have misunderstood the nature of the establishment. Use the paper bag."
Wonderful 101 :D

But yeah, Pikmin as well.

God, I love Greggs.

[HEADING=1]Fooken steak behks![/HEADING]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
SkarKrow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SkarKrow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
inb4 Jeffers

July eh?...

I mean August -_-

Wonderful 101 :D

But yeah, Pikmin as well.

God, I love Greggs.

[HEADING=1]Fooken steak behks![/HEADING]
Oh fuck me Wonderful 101 is out in August!? Gonna get all henshin up in here when that hits.

You bastards and your STEAK! Order something different! Eat a god damn ham & cheese thing! Then I won't have to throw so many away.

Don't bother with the sandwiches though, making thems a pain > > Fucking ham then cheese my arse! Training woman flipped out when I put cheese then ham and flipped it over when she told me off.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I'm kupo for kupopuffs!
I'll throw in that Infamous: Second Son is not a PS4 launch title, it's a launch window game expected early 2014.

The big launch games so far as I'm concerned are Killzone: Shadow Fall and Destiny.

Hardly family sellers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
You mean the most reliably busy and profitable period of the year for the industry? You're right, it's so sad. It's not like other companies such as Activision, EA or Ubisoft are relying on the same period to make their money, or that Sony and Microsoft are releasing their new consoles during the holiday period to try and make as much money as they can.
Not sure if strawman or if you actually believe those to be equatable.

Hutcher

Apr 10, 2013
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Hutcher said:
"Now, the most common suggestion is for Nintendo to give up on its own hardware efforts, particularly in mobile, so it can join the Apple iOS/Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android app boom that has fueled the success of franchises like Angry Birds.

There is some merit to this argument. Nintendo's biggest asset is its incredible library of game franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

In the first quarter of 2013, consumers spent far more money on iOS/Android game apps than on games for dedicated handhelds. According to the research firms IDC and App Annie, gaming revenue from the Apple App Store and Google Play was almost triple that of gaming handhelds.
And how many $40 apps sell on iPhone or Android? How many of the best selling games are big-budgets games that cost between $30-40?

Moving to iOS or Android is the worst thing Nintendo could do. People are willing to pay $30-40 for a proper handheld game like Fire Emblem. Apples and Android users do not. They like paying $0.99 for cheap apps, or getting them F2P. There is no way Nintendo could move to a market like that, and still sell the same sorts of titles we're used to. Until we see proper $30-40 apps top the charts on iOS or Android, then Nintendo have no place making software for such platforms and should continue making their own hardware.
Know what? I agree that Nintendo should not move into the IOS or Android market with their mainstream titles. What they should do is something a little like Square has done; take older titles like Mario 3 or A Link to the Past (Basically the good stuff on NES and SNES), make IOS versions of those, and sell them at $5 - $15 a pop or so.

The main issue is still that they are looking at similar hardware sales issues to those that Sega was facing in the Dreamcast era; their system is first in this generation, and will most likely be underpowered compared to their competitors' entries, likely resulting in continued poor 3rd party support; why make a game for the Wii-U when you can make it for the PS4 and easily port to the Xbone, and maybe the PC?

That means that the success of their system is once again dependent on sales of 1st party titles. They're not looking competitive in the 3rd party arena, the casual sector is largely gone, and their hardware base is too small to support their high quality first party titles.

Bottom line is that they need a few big titles or a true killer app to sell tons of Wii-U systems before the year is out or they could be in tough.