Nintendo is Banning 3DS Consoles that Played Pirated Pokemon Sun and Moon Online

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo is Banning 3DS Consoles that Played Pirated Pokemon Sun and Moon Online

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1362/1362028.jpgNintendo is dropping the banhammer on any 3DS that played the pirated Pokemon Sun & Moon online.

If you're a Pokemon fan, you've probably spent the last few weeks hiding out from spoilers online. Pirated copies of the upcoming Sun and Moon games have been floating around the internet for a few weeks now. Nintendo hadn't taken any action, despite the large amounts of information that's popped up online from those copies; that is, until today.

Nintendo has begun banning the 3DS units that have gone online with the pirated games. The units aren't just getting banned from Pokemon, either. Instead, Nintendo is banning them from all online services, including the eShop. That means that any games that those players have bought on the eShop that aren't already on the device are now inaccessible.

Those affected by this are trying to find workarounds to regain online access, but for now it looks like their only recourse will be to purchase a new 3DS. You can see some of the reports over at 4chan [https://gbatemp.net/threads/has-anyone-gotten-banned-from-playing-pokemon-moon-online.447971/page-2].

Nintendo has issued a statement on the bans, telling Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/players-who-pirated-pokemon-sun-and-moon-say-nintendo-i-1789039343],

"As a result of a number of Nintendo 3DS users using unauthorized versions of several games, and connecting to the official game servers in violation of our terms of service, these users' Nintendo 3DS systems that stored the unauthorized game code have been banned from Nintendo's online network effective immediately."

Sounds like playing that pirated game online might not have been the best idea after all. Who knew?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Oh man I feel so bad for those poor thieving pirate scumbags. Oh wait they are thieving scumbags so fuck em.

Hey thieves eat shit and fall off your horse.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
I like how people are surprised that playing a game they pirated BEFORE official release ONLINE WHERE THE DEVS CAN SEE YOU AND KNOW YOU PIRATED got them punished. What did they actually think was going to happen? Nintendo isn't From Software and I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't appreciate them spreading spoilers everywhere...

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Good for Nintendo. If you put up a big sign advertising "I PIRATED POKEMON" on the 3DS network, you deserve to have the banhammer come down on you. The full ban from the network (completely legal as they broke the ToS) might get some of the idiots to actually buy games from now on.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
this sounds like a case of too dumb to live pirating and playing online before its officially out

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
What kind of idiot thinks to himself, hurr durr I just pirated a unreleased game from a giant company who will probably sue the crap out of me as a example if they find out. I know I'll play it online on there servers.... thats a fantastic idea obviously i will never get caught! To the Pirate mobile Awwwwaaaaaay! *cue adam west batman theme*

Honestly they should just be grateful its just a console ban and not a lawsuit.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Couldn't happen to a better group of scumbags. Not sure losing connectivity to the store is the biggest deal because (duh) they're pirating their games, but happy they lose their ability to play online at all. If only they could have just bricked the consoles entirely.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
It's really hard to feel sorry for someone who not only pirates the game but is so dick in the blender stupid enough to play it online on official Nintendo servers...

Oct 15, 2015
Just for reference not everyone hit by the ban has gotten full banning. For example, friend's 3DS only got a 15 day ban for it, and can still access eshop and such.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
The idocy of people astounds me everytime anew.

Those morons seriously thought that nintendo had no way of finding out if your copy is legit if you connect to their OFFICIAL SERVERS? And to put the cherry ontop... before release day?

The arrogance and stupidity of it all. Thats a ban well earned i say.

You would think it is common sense by now not to try to connect online with pirated software nowadays for this very reason?

Able to hack their 3DS with homebrew software... not able to understand that nintendo is gonna getcha when you enter their house with stolen goods...

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...Did... did people really think they wouldn't get caught by Nintendo for doing this? Nintendo monitors their online shit like a fucking hawk, how did they think they wouldn't get banned for going online with pirated games? BEFORE THE RELEASE DATE???

Christ, that's like being surprised your hand got wet when you poured water on it.

Oct 15, 2015
Karadalis said:
The idocy of people astounds me everytime anew.

Those morons seriously thought that nintendo had no way of finding out if your copy is legit if you connect to their OFFICIAL SERVERS? And to put the cherry ontop... before release day?

The arrogance and stupidity of it all. Thats a ban well earned i say.

You would think it is common sense by now not to try to connect online with pirated software nowadays for this very reason?

Able to hack their 3DS with homebrew software... not able to understand that nintendo is gonna getcha when you enter their house with stolen goods...
There really is no way to detect a legit vs a pirated copy if you install via .cia files. The only reason this ban went through was it checked for people going online early, nothing about the legitimacy of the game. So if you were a reviewer and went online your 3DS would eat a ban too. (they told reviewers not to go online.)

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I love feasting on the tears of pirates. All that time at sea has made them extra salty. Delicious. I'll pay for my overindulgence in sodium some day, but it is not this day!

Seriously though, no one gets indignant like a person that has been going around the system; just look at all the cry babies that talked a big game about suing Blizzard over getting banned for using hacks in Overwatch. The absurdity is just hilarious - these types of people really don't see themselves as having done anything wrong and that they are being bullied by the big corporation they were ripping off.

I hope it's a perma-ban, but I've been reading elsewhere that it isn't.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
...?

Wasn't this a stance that Nintendo had in general when the 3DS first released? I remember the controversy over having the system remotely bricked if it was found to have unapproved software running on it.

The surprise feels weird to hear.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Veldie said:
Oh man I feel so bad for those poor thieving pirate scumbags. Oh wait they are thieving scumbags so fuck em.

Hey thieves eat shit and fall off your horse.
So, wait a tick. That means they're pretty much telling people who pirated that they will have to pirate all their 3ds games going forward. Which means ... a good thing?

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
There's just one thing extra that I feel should be mentioned and that's people who were able to grab physical copies early due to some stores breaking the street date are also getting permabanned, though apparently if you still have the receipt handy and call Nintendo support they can lower it to a temp ban. I hear you can use the game's serial number too.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ok, but isn't this what Sony and Microsoft do anyway to anybody detected online attempting the same? And also a stance that Nintendo has stuck to previously? Just not sure why this would deserve a news article really. Apart from the terrible intellect of these pirates whom I can only imagine must be kids with uninformed contacts or idiots.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ok, but isn't this what Sony and Microsoft do anyway to anybody detected online attempting the same? And also a stance that Nintendo has stuck to previously? Just not sure why this would deserve a news article really. Apart from the terrible intellect of these pirates whom I can only imagine must be kids with uninformed contacts or idiots.
Pretty much every news source I've seen reporting on this have all had a subtle tone of 'Seriously guys?' going along with it, so it's very much more of a news story going 'literally the dumbest pirates on earth complain about their stupidity backfiring on them' rather than a 'One of the Big Three catches pirates, punishes them accordingly' story.

...because seriously, this is really stupid of those pirates. My god.