Nintendo is Banning 3DS Consoles that Played Pirated Pokemon Sun and Moon Online

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wrex Brogan said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ok, but isn't this what Sony and Microsoft do anyway to anybody detected online attempting the same? And also a stance that Nintendo has stuck to previously? Just not sure why this would deserve a news article really. Apart from the terrible intellect of these pirates whom I can only imagine must be kids with uninformed contacts or idiots.
Pretty much every news source I've seen reporting on this have all had a subtle tone of 'Seriously guys?' going along with it, so it's very much more of a news story going 'literally the dumbest pirates on earth complain about their stupidity backfiring on them' rather than a 'One of the Big Three catches pirates, punishes them accordingly' story.

...because seriously, this is really stupid of those pirates. My god.
Ah righty, it makes sense, I wasn't sure how often this sort of stuff happens. It is kind of written in stone as one of the founding pirate codes to abide; thou shalt not commence piracy upon the table of the feasting prey. Or, something...like that maybe. It's been a while.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yeah, right. Because false positives never happen.
They can't just take peoples entire potential purchased library away over something unrelated.
I smell a well-desereved lawsuit.

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
Word on other forums is that the bans are temporary, for 15 days. That said, need to wait and see if they do gain back access after 15 days or if it's merely speculation.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ok, but isn't this what Sony and Microsoft do anyway to anybody detected online attempting the same? And also a stance that Nintendo has stuck to previously? Just not sure why this would deserve a news article really. Apart from the terrible intellect of these pirates whom I can only imagine must be kids with uninformed contacts or idiots.
As has been said, this seems to be going along the same tune as those articles laughing at Overwatch cheaters whining about their bans. It wouldn't be as newsworthy if people's weren't acting indignant and angry that they were being punished.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Originality said:
Word on other forums is that the bans are temporary, for 15 days. That said, need to wait and see if they do gain back access after 15 days or if it's merely speculation.
Well I really don't see any basis for thinking it's only for 15 days, since Nintendo didn't say that. Sounds like the kind of sweet lies little trolls tell themselves when they get punished for trolling.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
From what I've seen, there are people who are now complaining about this and think Nintendo is crossing the line here.

Yes, they are complaining that they pirated a copy of an unreleased game, and Nintendo is now banning them for playing the game online days before the game was released.

This is just like those people that used hacks in Overwatch, and then complained when they got banned. What the fuck did they think was going to happen?

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
loa said:
They can't just take peoples entire potential purchased library away over something unrelated.
How could they be getting "false positives" when the game hasn't officially been released yet, and as a result there's no way to connect to the servers Pokemon SuMo would need access to without the game?

They definitely can, it's part of their Terms of Service for using their service.
And they said that if the games have already been downloaded onto your 3DS you still have access to them.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
loa said:
No lawsuit will be sereved because in addition to admitting in court that you somehow obtained a copy of the game before it was available to the public and implicating either yourself or others of illegal activity, Nintendo gets to decide who connects to their servers no matter what, and even then, unauthorized usage is covered in their ToS that all people agree to when connecting to Nintendo online anyway, so all you're going to do is invite an army of lawyers to tear your lawyer into shreds and force feed you the pieces.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Normally, I'd say good on that company, but Nintendo's still on my shitlist big time.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Veldie said:
Oh man I feel so bad for those poor thieving pirate scumbags. Oh wait they are thieving scumbags so fuck em.

Hey thieves eat shit and fall off your horse.
Tell 'em to read the Manga first, Gyro!

Seriously, though, it's their own damn fault for pirating the game. Noone should be surprised they're being punished for doing something illegal.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
loa said:
How can you get a false positive in this situation?

The pirates went online with a game that wasn't out yet.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Madara XIII said:
Veldie said:
Oh man I feel so bad for those poor thieving pirate scumbags. Oh wait they are thieving scumbags so fuck em.

Hey thieves eat shit and fall off your horse.
Tell 'em to read the Manga first, Gyro!

Seriously, though, it's their own damn fault for pirating the game. Noone should be surprised they're being punished for doing something illegal.
Nyoho tell them yourself, Johnny.

saphiren

Full diving
Jul 8, 2009
altnameJag said:
loa said:
How can you get a false positive in this situation?

The pirates went online with a game that wasn't out yet.
There were, in fact, retailers that broke street date. It's not an impossibility (although statistically speaking the large majority of bans were correct).