Nintendo Knows Wii Storage is a Problem

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Nintendo Knows Wii Storage is a Problem

With Wii Channels and downloadable games galore, Nintendo is watching the storage room on Wii owner's systems.

Wii Channels and WiiWare games take up space, and system owners have been clamoring for a simple solution that would allow them to store all their content on the console. In the weeks before E3, Nintendo representatives denied [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/73410] any announcement of a hard drive. The trade show came and went without any word of an attachable data housing unit.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime says that despite all the anti-hard drive talk, the company is watching closely.

"We have said publicly that we're looking hard at the storage situation, that we're working on a range of solutions. We have nothing to announce now. But certainly it's an issue we are aware of and we're working to find a solution and we will," stated Fils-Aime.

This question started out as an issue for only "geeks and otaku [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84463]", as one Nintendo representative unfortunatly stated. But as more Wii owners purchase more games and content, Fils-Aime explained that the problem of room on the Wii will become more widely recognized.

"From an Americas-centric perspective, here is the reality we see. We have a consumer base who loves Virtual Console. We have a userbase who really is enjoying WiiWare content. So for us, our challenge really is how do we satisfy all these consumers who are loving all of the product we make available on a download basis?" questioned Fils-Aime. "As we continue to have things, as you point out, like Mario Kart that has its own channel when you're playing from an internet perspective, we're just making this challenge tougher and tougher. So in our view this is becoming much more of a mainstream problem, which is why we have a sense of urgency to solve it."

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/23/wii-storage-issue-becoming-a-mainstream-problem/]

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
GoldenShadow said:
All they need to do is allow a USB Harddrive to connecto to the Wii.
Yeah or make SD cards also be able to store game data.

Only thing I can think of that doesn't require them having to make a solution involving them producing some kind of Hard Drive for the Wii.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I've never understood why they didn't offer a hard drive in the first place. Of course they'll find a solution, it's not rocket science. I hope it's affordable though (around $40 would be okay).

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
With the new Guitar Hero game 'announcing' that the Wii will have full access to the DLC options it hasn't had previously, it really does look like the time is now for them to sort something out. I don't fancy having to play swap and switch with the available space in the same way I have to do with my MP3 player every week.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
GoldenShadow said:
All they need to do is allow a USB Harddrive to connecto to the Wii.
Yeah or make SD cards also be able to store game data.
Although I completely agree, since you don't necessarily have to pay Nintendo for those things, I'll bet $100 that they come out with some proprietary piece of crap.

PEWPEWGreenLaser

Jul 23, 2008
Human Bomb said:
Even a Nintendo branded HDD that doubled as a stand wouldn't be too bad.
I was actually thinking the same thing. But it'd probably play out a lot like the 360 HDD if that happened. Proprietary, expensive, etc.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
It was all planned from the beginning you know, there was a meeting. Of the secret sort of course, when they where making the Wii. When they got to storage there was at first great confusement of the very small memory capability, Flash memory is cheap. You can go to staples and get a 8 gig thumb drive for like under a 100 bucks.

The reason why it came with so little is they are planning on selling you the memory later. the SD card and USB port was just a comfort package. In reality the Memory expansion will attach to your remote and sell for 60 dollars, and you can expand your memory to each controller, BUT you need to buy a NEW controller that has Wii motion plus built in you see.

Only then may you re-buy old games that you already have on emulator anyways and play games that have pretty much been on newgrounds.com for years on Wii-ware.

It's all part of their master plan. I used to feel good about my Nintendo purchase, but now I kind of see the writing on the wall. The evil arcane style writing, that summons demons and creates pacts with the devil.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Merlark said:
It was all planned from the beginning you know, there was a meeting. Of the secret sort of course...
Do they meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows?

FuzziBunni

Jun 11, 2008
I like the platform idea. That way we wouldnt have some crazy contraption that Nintendo would think up just hanging out the back of the system. If it isnt a platform, it will most likely be a white plastic Mario to stand in a memory card slot :p