Nintendo Launching New Mobile Push, Working on Next Console

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Sarge034 said:
I'm more interested in the news Nintendo is developing a new console. I know everyone is already on that dev cycle again, but still. Of all the tings they could be hemorrhaging money on right now I don't thing a new console needs to be one of them... :/
Except for the fact that Sony and Microsoft are doing it too. Consoles have extremely long development cycles. The Wii was in development almost as soon as the Gamecube hit the market. The same can be said for Microsoft and Sony. Them developing another console over the span of 6 years is just another day in business for them. It's not anything new.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Dragonbums said:
Sarge034 said:
I'm more interested in the news Nintendo is developing a new console. I know everyone is already on that dev cycle again, but still. Of all the tings they could be hemorrhaging money on right now I don't thing a new console needs to be one of them... :/
Except for the fact that Sony and Microsoft are doing it too. Consoles have extremely long development cycles. The Wii was in development almost as soon as the Gamecube hit the market. The same can be said for Microsoft and Sony. Them developing another console over the span of 6 years is just another day in business for them. It's not anything new.
I would invite you to read before you speak. Might lessen these "foot in mouth" situations...

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Sarge034 said:
Dragonbums said:
Sarge034 said:
I would invite you to read before you speak. Might lessen these "foot in mouth" situations...
In terms of what? Companies starting development of new consoles almost immediately after they released one on market?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Dragonbums said:
In terms of what? Companies starting development of new consoles almost immediately after they released one on market?
*sigh* Your fanatic Nintendo defense is obscuring the words again. I said I know everyone (MS/Sony/Nintendo) is developing a new console right now, but I think Nintendo would be better served to hold off for a year or two and redirect those assets to other departments. Nintendo doesn't need another new console as much as it needs a console with staying power. The Wii U is a very nice system but because of certain limitations and restrictions it will die a slow, quiet death. What they need is to direct their efforts into making the Wii U a lasting asset (like 360 level longevity AND popularity) or else they're just going to keep funneling vast amounts of money into console development and end up with Wii U levels of sales over and over and over. I was just saying I don't think this is the best move, business wise.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Sarge034 said:
Dragonbums said:
*sigh* Your fanatic Nintendo defense is obscuring the words again.
What does that even mean? You replied to me with a vague as all hell comment and tell me my fanatic Nintendo Defense is clouding my words again?

I said I know everyone (MS/Sony/Nintendo) is developing a new console right now, but I think Nintendo would be better served to hold off for a year or two and redirect those assets to other departments.
Other departments like what? Their video game department? This NX console isn't going to see the light of day for almost another decade. That is more than enough time to reflect on whatever it is you think they need to budget on. And seeing as how you already noted that you are aware Sony and Microsoft do the same thing- why is it a bad news on Nintendo's part when they announce the obvious for any hardware manufacture?

Nintendo doesn't need another new console as much as it needs a console with staying power.
They never said the Wii U was going anywhere, anytime soon.

The Wii U is a very nice system but because of certain limitations and restrictions it will die a slow, quiet death.
The Wii U is doing average. Neither the Xbone or the Wii U are going to catch up with the PS4. The Wii U has been making a profit ever since Mario Kart 8

What they need is to direct their efforts into making the Wii U a lasting asset
I could of sworn all those new games coming out for it during the Spring and coming years was Nintendo doing exactly that.

(like 360 level longevity AND popularity)
Of all the examples your going to use, your gonna go with the Xbox 360? The console that continued the trend of still not making Microsoft any real profits since it's inception and the one that is only still in production because enough of the Microsoft fanbase doesn't want an Xbox One?
I mean, the PS2 had staying pattern all the way up to the early days of this gen. The same cannot be said for it's past competitors.

or else they're just going to keep funneling vast amounts of money into console development and end up with Wii U levels of sales over and over and over. I was just saying I don't think this is the best move, business wise.
Your entire opinion is based on the ungrounded fact that this new console is going to replace the Wii U much earlier than the rest of the competition and major assumptions on what Nintendo is currently doing with their money in regards to game development.
You admit that these companies making a new console immediately after they release their current ones is the norm and yet Nintendo doing it is a bad idea.
That literal opinion can also be said to Sony and Microsoft. Why should they think of making a new console NOW when they can put their assets into making their console lasts a billion years?
Wii U sales aren't the hottest in terms of the competition, but what companies care for in the end are profits, and the Wii U has been doing that for a while now (not to mention the extremely high attach rate for games.)
The Gamecube and the original Xbox were neck in neck in terms of sales and yet Nintendo was in the black for the system entirely while it was a money sink for Microsoft.
The Wii U staying power is going to be as long as whatever the current gen will last. Nothing more, nothing less. To this day the PS2's longevity was an anomoly no other console (Sony or otherwise.) has encountered.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Dragonbums said:
What does that even mean? You replied to me with a vague as all hell comment and tell me my fanatic Nintendo Defense is clouding my words again?
First, I'd like to point out you quoted me first and blatantly ignored what I said. Second, you might not remember but we had a nice long attempted discussion about Nintendo, gosh, 3 years ago now? So yes, I know just how rabid your Nintendo fanboyism is and how unwilling you are to discuss differing opinions.

My point is that MS needs a new console because the xbone sucks. Sony needs a new console because, well, they're Sony and MS is making a new console. Nintendo doesn't need a new console. The Wii U has the potential to last just as long as the 360 if they take the time and the necessary steps to cultivate it. You want to know exactly what I'm talking about? How about more new IPs. How about increased 3rd party coding support to increase the amount of third party games. From a business management perspective console R&D is not the most prudent use of those resources.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Sarge034 said:
First, I'd like to point out you quoted me first and blatantly ignored what I said. Second, you might not remember but we had a nice long attempted discussion about Nintendo, gosh, 3 years ago now? So yes, I know just how rabid your Nintendo fanboyism is and how unwilling you are to discuss differing opinions.
You say I'm unwilling to have a discussion with you and in the 3 years you went mostly afk on this site I've had plenty of discussions with other users in regard to Nintendo. Regardless of whether or not we shared the same viewpoints. In all this time I have discussed Nintendo with those people only three of them (including you.) have tried to dismiss everything(and I mean everything not accidentally overlooking a couple sentences.) to make ad hominme "fanboysim" attacks.

Right now we aren't having a discussion on anything. You literally started off your sentence saying that my "NDF" fanaticism is "blinding" me again. Which isn't the way to get ANY sort of discussion going on on anything. You want a discussion you start by making your opening comment a discussion. Not petty Escapist grade insults.

Now are you going to actually address the multiple points I made to your last post or not?

My point is that MS needs a new console because the xbone sucks. Sony needs a new console because, well, they're Sony and MS is making a new console. Nintendo doesn't need a new console.
That's literally just your opinion dude. I could literally apply your argument to Microsoft's and say that maybe they should focus on the Xbox One having more staying power and they don't need to make a new console, just focus on making the X1 better.
And considering how the only reason you can come up with for Sony having another console in development is 'well because it's Sony' shows that this wasn't a very thought out point of reasoning.

The Wii U has the potential to last just as long as the 360 if they take the time and the necessary steps to cultivate it.
Is that not what they are doing right now? Where you absent when they released and have upcoming releases for a slew of games for the Wii U this summer? It's like I'm repeating myself since you took to ignoring my entire comment to give me a lecture on "Nintendo fanboyism".

You want to know exactly what I'm talking about? How about more new IPs.
Nobody talking about Codename S.T.E.A.M, nobody talking about Splatoon, nobody talking about the two new big IP's Miyamoto said he was working on during E3. And the ones that are made apparently don't count.

How about increased 3rd party coding support to increase the amount of third party games.
Western Third party companies have already washed their hands off the Wii U due to technical reasons that aren't really all that of an excuse. Funnily enough Nintendo gets along swimmingly with indie games, and Shovel Knight did an amazing job despite being a timed exclusive to the Wii U.

From a business management perspective console R&D is not the most prudent use of those resources.
And the ever classic internet armchair business man/woman who has no info on anything in regards to a companies financials telling said company how they should run their business based on opinions.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Sarge034 said:
Dragonbums said:
*sigh* Your fanatic Nintendo defense is obscuring the words again. I said I know everyone (MS/Sony/Nintendo) is developing a new console right now, but I think Nintendo would be better served to hold off for a year or two and redirect those assets to other departments. Nintendo doesn't need another new console as much as it needs a console with staying power. The Wii U is a very nice system but because of certain limitations and restrictions it will die a slow, quiet death. What they need is to direct their efforts into making the Wii U a lasting asset (like 360 level longevity AND popularity) or else they're just going to keep funneling vast amounts of money into console development and end up with Wii U levels of sales over and over and over. I was just saying I don't think this is the best move, business wise.
You people need to read the actual article interview instead of arguing.

New hardware might be and most likely is a portable console.
The new hardware according to Nintendo will have the same architecture as their console, so there will likely be a lot more games like SSB that will be launched on two platforms with a lot less development investment/time required.
The reason to provide the information about the new hardware right now is so people don't think they are abandoning the Hardware business.

The new console will likely have the same cycle as their previous efforts 5-6 years from the previous one.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
keniakittykat said:
A phone that focuses on gaming as a priority instead of a feature? Sign my ass up!
Wouldn't that basically be a Gameboy with a built-in phone?
I was about to get into a fangirl rave about how awesome it is and everything, but then I realized I basically was describing the Ngage... Maybe it's not the best idea after all.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Las7 said:
You people need to read the actual article interview instead of arguing.
Yeah, discussing the article would of been a much better alternative than having to spend 80% of my post refuting nonsense ad hominems that do nothing to address what was said in the article or what I actually said in general.

New hardware might be and most likely is a portable console.
I speculated that as well since this news also co-incides with their partnership DEeNA(?) Perhaps as a way to wring more control on their IP's in the global market. Who knows though. We won't get any more info until years down the line anyway.

The new hardware according to Nintendo will have the same architecture as their console, so there will likely be a lot more games like SSB that will be launched on two platforms with a lot less development investment/time required.
The reason to provide the information about the new hardware right now is so people don't think they are abandoning the Hardware business.
I'm curious about this really being an "offshoot" console in the same line as the DSi or 2DS. Who knows. Of course I also know why Iwata reclarifyed that they weren't abandoning the hardware sector. I mean, I assume you saw our argument from beginning to end. So I'm also assuming you know that this wasn't what was up for debate in the first place, but rather a completely different argument than that.

The new console will likely have the same cycle as their previous efforts 5-6 years from the previous one.
I mean that was what I was trying to argue in the first place. Or rather, this new console is in no way any indication that they were replacing the Wii U so soon.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Exactly, this is what they said and I don't expect for them to even stop developing for the Wii U until the end of 2016. The new games will simply share arcitecture with the Wii U, new Handheld device and eventual Home Console. This is what they have said they are working on - unified architecture. Which in essence allows them to easily make the same game for consoles and handheld titles. The 3DS is simply had a different focus with 3D and I'm guessing that due to this focus there was some time and money invested in 3DS games to make use of this focus. I expect their next handheld perhaps to meld a new technology but also allow less resources to be used in game development for one game appearing on two different type of devices.
So far Iwata has said that the IPs on mobile will be developed by them but will be specifically designed around mobile and thus most likely will serve in increasing mind share towards full fledged titles on a handheld or console platform. They have gone out and said that they don't want to stigmatize parents towards the brand because of in app purchases for example. So possibly free to $5 mini games that show of particular levels or demos for their full fledged titles.

In any case a unified account system with cross buy for most games.
Nintendo doing seperate mobile games to raise mindshare(with the young audience) but not really focused at the begining towards making profit(at least thats what they are saying right now).
Information on the Console will be released next year at E3 and it would be logical for next handheld to be revilead than and released Nov/Dec 2016. Than next year they announce the next Console and so forth.

This is at least what I gathered from the interview and what seems logical for Nintendo as a brand. They don't want to stop supporting the Wii U until another two years have past and if they unify the architecture they could simply render their mobile games for console launch titles so their next launch is not hampered by lack of support from 3rd Parties.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Dragonbums said:
You say I'm unwilling to have a discussion with you and in the 3 years you went mostly afk on this site I've had plenty of discussions with other users in regard to Nintendo. Regardless of whether or not we shared the same viewpoints. In all this time I have discussed Nintendo with those people only three of them (including you.) have tried to dismiss everything(and I mean everything not accidentally overlooking a couple sentences.) to make ad hominme "fanboysim" attacks.

Right now we aren't having a discussion on anything. You literally started off your sentence saying that my "NDF" fanaticism is "blinding" me again. Which isn't the way to get ANY sort of discussion going on on anything. You want a discussion you start by making your opening comment a discussion. Not petty Escapist grade insults.

Now are you going to actually address the multiple points I made to your last post or not?
Went mostly AFK, hu? You a mod or the web admin? You know my viewing habits? Just because YOU didn't see me doesn't mean I wasn't here. You wanna know why those three people (including me) called you a fanboy? Because you are. In my first post, the one you responded to, I alrady admitted MS and Sony were also in a new console dev cycle and the first words outta your mouth were to the effect of "Wut about MS and Sony? They're doing the same thing. LEAVE BRIT, I mean, NINTENDO ALONE!!!" If you can't, or choose not to, comprehend what's being said how can there be a discussion?

That's literally just your opinion dude. I could literally apply your argument to Microsoft's and say that maybe they should focus on the Xbox One having more staying power and they don't need to make a new console, just focus on making the X1 better.
And considering how the only reason you can come up with for Sony having another console in development is 'well because it's Sony' shows that this wasn't a very thought out point of reasoning.
Yes, these are ALL just opinions. That's the point of a forum, to express opinions. You attacked my opinion with your opinion and I rebutted with an opinion. Odd, right?

But the difference between the Wii U and the Xbone is that the Xbone is fundamentally flawed as a system. There are problems with it at a basic os level that can not be fixed. For example, the UI is almost un-navigate able when you try to use other features when playing a game. These are core os things so the only way to "fix" them is to start from scratch. The Wii U on the other hand is a great piece of hardware and software. And is the pissing contest MS and Sony have not enough of a reason? If MS comes out with a console and Sony doesn't it makes Sony look like they're slower or worse than MS, but Nintendo isn't in that pissing contest. Nintendo is already out of time with the other two's console cycles. I say they capitalize on that freedom.

Is that not what they are doing right now? Where you absent when they released and have upcoming releases for a slew of games for the Wii U this summer? It's like I'm repeating myself since you took to ignoring my entire comment to give me a lecture on "Nintendo fanboyism".

Nobody talking about Codename S.T.E.A.M, nobody talking about Splatoon, nobody talking about the two new big IP's Miyamoto said he was working on during E3. And the ones that are made apparently don't count.

Western Third party companies have already washed their hands off the Wii U due to technical reasons that aren't really all that of an excuse. Funnily enough Nintendo gets along swimmingly with indie games, and Shovel Knight did an amazing job despite being a timed exclusive to the Wii U.
These three answers go together. As for the IPs you listed, those are a whopping 4 games in contrast to the landslide of Mario cart, Mario party, and other rehashes Nintendo relies on. Oh wait, there's more! More rehashes in the list of games coming out this summer, that is. Color me unimpressed. Your last point is actually an interesting one. I did suggest that some of those console devs go to 3rd party tech support, didn't I? Western devs have abandoned the Wii U because the architecture and controllers are so different. They can code one game and tweak it to run on the Xbone or PS4, but not the Wii U. What if they set people to making a dev kit for the Wii U that was more western friendly instead of just turning their noses up at them? THAT, that right there, is the money maker I think (in terms of the console division, of course Nintendo handhelds are their bread and butter). If you bring in the western devs again Nintendo can compete in the areas it's strongest; FPS, resolution, et all instead of being segregated by not having as many games.

And the ever classic internet armchair business man/woman who has no info on anything in regards to a companies financials telling said company how they should run their business based on opinions.
As I said before, these are all just opinions. Unless, of course, you have any of that information...

But I would caution you not to assume you know the person behind the handle. I could have an MBA, I could be part of Nintendo venting in anonymity, I could be a plumber who wears red overalls and saves princesses. You just never know.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Sarge034 said:
Went mostly AFK, hu? You a mod or the web admin? You know my viewing habits? Just because YOU didn't see me doesn't mean I wasn't here.
I didn't say you weren't here but you certainly were a lot less active than in previous years. Either way you were still absent from forum posting. There are a lot of people who lurk here and rarely post. Still doesn't make them less afk.

You wanna know why those three people (including me) called you a fanboy? Because you are.
And so is everyone on this forum. Someone is a fanboy of SOMETHING. Regardless of it being Nintendo or otherwise. It's not the fact that you are calling me a Nintendo fan. It's the way you are using that to somehow leverage your argument.

In my first post, the one you responded to, I alrady admitted MS and Sony were also in a new console dev cycle and the first words outta your mouth were to the effect of "Wut about MS and Sony? They're doing the same thing. LEAVE BRIT, I mean, NINTENDO ALONE!!!" If you can't, or choose not to, comprehend what's being said how can there be a discussion?
This comment right here is why I'm taking umbrage to your entire attempt at "discussion". It's so full of blatant mockery that it isn't actually going anywhere. I never said anything of the sort of "Leave Nintendo alone". I was confronting you about an opinion that I personally feel doesn't really hold up in light of the fact that what Nintendo is doing is the norm of practically every single hardware business out there. And instead of actually arguing me over these points you are brushing off my opinions with "Oh man here comes the NDF"

Yes, these are ALL just opinions. That's the point of a forum, to express opinions. You attacked my opinion with your opinion and I rebutted with an opinion. Odd, right?
"Attacked"? This isn't an attack. This is me doing basic argument and discussions. You can either debate it with me, or leave. But nobody here is attacking you. You make a comment, expect for people to rebuttal it.

But the difference between the Wii U and the Xbone is that the Xbone is fundamentally flawed as a system.
Again, that is completely subjective. You have some users on here who will argue that the Wii U is a fundamentally flawed system.

There are problems with it at a basic os level that can not be fixed. For example, the UI is almost un-navigate able when you try to use other features when playing a game. These are core os things so the only way to "fix" them is to start from scratch.

The Wii U on the other hand is a great piece of hardware and software.
And again I know plenty of users who will say not only the opposite of that but also back it up with specs. That is not to say that the Wii U doesn't have great hardware and software, but it isn't exactly up to par horse power wise with it's cometitors. Whether that affects enjoyability or not is entirely subjective to the user playing it.

And is the pissing contest MS and Sony have not enough of a reason? If MS comes out with a console and Sony doesn't it makes Sony look like they're slower or worse than MS, but Nintendo isn't in that pissing contest. Nintendo is already out of time with the other two's console cycles. I say they capitalize on that freedom.
Just because they aren't in direct neck to neck competition with Sony and Microsoft doesn't mean in the slightest that they should release a console 8 years later after the competition already did. They may be out of the way, but they are still in a console competitive market.

These three answers go together. As for the IPs you listed, those are a whopping 4 games in contrast to the landslide of Mario cart, Mario party, and other rehashes Nintendo relies on. Oh wait, there's more! More rehashes in the list of games coming out this summer, that is. Color me unimpressed.[/quote]

A landslide of rehases? Like what exactly? Mario Party hasn't seen another game in practically years. Same as basically every other franchise Nintendo has. Starfox hasn't seen a new game since the Gamecube era. What exactly constitutes as a rehash? You say this in light of the fact that most of the new IP released on other consoles are essentially the same thing with a new coat of paint. But I guess as long as shooting clone 1 has a mustachioed white dude while clone 2 has a grizzled white dude they are totally unique. And if a "landslide" of rehashes involve game installments spaced out in 4-6 year intervals then I wonder what your opinion is on other games like Assasins Creed.

Your last point is actually an interesting one. I did suggest that some of those console devs go to 3rd party tech support, didn't I? Western devs have abandoned the Wii U because the architecture and controllers are so different. They can code one game and tweak it to run on the Xbone or PS4, but not the Wii U. What if they set people to making a dev kit for the Wii U that was more western friendly instead of just turning their noses up at them? THAT, that right there, is the money maker I think (in terms of the console division, of course Nintendo handhelds are their bread and butter). If you bring in the western devs again Nintendo can compete in the areas it's strongest; FPS, resolution, et all instead of being segregated by not having as many games.
Every single console generation Western Devs have had wildly different reasons for why they won't support Nintendo. Last gen it was being destroyed by Nintendo first party IP. This year is't weird harware- which is hypocritcal considering how that didn't stop them even a little bit from making games up the ass for the Play Station 3 which is notorious for being the most hair pulling console to develop for to ever exist.
Also what is "Western friendly" development. You either know how to code for hardware or you gtfo. They had dev kits for the Wii U for practically a year and it isn't Nintendo's fault that they sat on it until Sony and Microsoft gave them dev kits.

As I said before, these are all just opinions. Unless, of course, you have any of that information...

But I would caution you not to assume you know the person behind the handle. I could have an MBA, I could be part of Nintendo venting in anonymity, I could be a plumber who wears red overalls and saves princesses. You just never know.[/quote]