Nintendo NX Launching in March 2017, Legend of Zelda Delayed

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Lufia Erim said:
So... what exactly is it? I still don't understand. I mean i try to keep up with gaming news and i have no idea what it is, imagine people who don't read gaming news at all.
Ummmmm we don't reallly know....

Nintendo have said its not a replacement for the WiiU or Handhelds, but that could just be an attempt to not kill current hardware sales.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Gorfias said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I've had some good times on my Wii U, but I think before this year is out, I'll have played out all my games on it with the lack of support for it this year.

Here's hoping they do well with the next machine, they can't keep missing the mark. A couple more like this and they may not be around anymore.
They've had an odd go of it:
NES wins
SNES wins
N64 32 million. Meh.
Gamecube 21 million. Yikes.
Wii 102 million (generation winner?)
Wii U 12 million 3/5 through life cycle.

Handheld market is keeping them in the green.

Whatever comes next, it should suit the casual and hardcore gamer. Versatile control schemes. Right now, I worry if my Wii U remote breaks, I have a brick on my hands.

But if they can go from the Gamecube disaster to the Wii triumph, I have to think they can survive even if teh NX is a disappointment.
To be fair, the SNES sold less than the NES (still massively successful though).

Also, this NX news comes alongside Nintendo showing quarterly losses for what seems to be the 3rd year in a row. Their operating income is in the green, but not by a lot all things considered. All it takes is for the US market to stop caring about handhelds. And with Nintendo putting more games on to smartphones I think they're preparing for the eventuality of phone games being better than handheld consoles, and that's not a physical market Nintendo can compete with. Capcom and Square Enix are already there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Petromir said:
Nintendo have said its not a replacement for the WiiU or Handhelds, but that could just be an attempt to not kill current hardware sales.
I'd trust them, except the last time they said this was the DS line. Remember how the DS was going to be a "third pillar" in the Nintendo line? Just waiting for that new Game Boy.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Gorfias said:
Oh yeah, totally agree. That's why I said a couple more like this, because it would take more than just the NX failing. But I'd like to see them get back to their roots to be honest, solid controller and plenty of 3rd party support would be good.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
AzrealMaximillion said:
I think they're preparing for the eventuality of phone games being better than handheld consoles, and that's not a physical market Nintendo can compete with. Capcom and Square Enix are already there.
I'll have to see what Capcom and Square Enix games are out there for handheld. I have the Vita and it's really the only handheld I play except for maybe Candy Crush on my phone. I just don't get the touch screen thing yet.

I like Bayonetta 2's stylus gameplay but it has me looking at the pad rather than my 55" LED. I still need that traditional gamepad style (perfected, IMHO, by the PS2). But my kids? They play on phones. Just as point and click camera's are dead, so too will be hand helds. They get it even if I do not.

chozo_hybrid said:
Gorfias said:
Oh yeah, totally agree. That's why I said a couple more like this, because it would take more than just the NX failing. But I'd like to see them get back to their roots to be honest, solid controller and plenty of 3rd party support would be good.
The Wii U has a great, solid controller that lasts an unprecedented 80 hours per charge. The problem is, some games make no use of it and others still require that the tablet be used to get to choose the controller. Therefore, if my tablet dies, I have no way I know of to simply play with the controller. They need that versatility. If the NX is BC, I wonder if it will have that versatility: allow us to play Wii U games without the tablet? While I am VERY spoiled by Gen 7 being around for ten years, if the NX comes out in 2017, I got a very normal 5 years out of the Wii U. Cannot complain too much.
O