Nintendo: NX Won't be Sold at a Loss, Will Focus Heavily on Mobile

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
He didn't say the NX is part of the mobile focus, I think he just means they want to make some good mobile games since it's a market they've barely touched. I doubt the NX is going to be a phone.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Yay! I can't wait for Tap Mario Tap and the Legend of Zelda Mobile! You want actual proper games? Pfft screw that, time to milk the mobile market!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Dead Metal said:
You're missing the point.
My point was that gaming/phone hybrids don't work. You can only do one with any chance of success. This isn't casual gaming we're discussing here, some bored person playing Angry Birds for 5 minutes while waiting for a bus, nothing like that. The NX is being touted as a proper gaming experience. If they try marrying it with a phone, it is going to fail.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
008Zulu said:
Dead Metal said:
You're missing the point.
My point was that gaming/phone hybrids don't work. You can only do one with any chance of success. This isn't casual gaming we're discussing here, some bored person playing Angry Birds for 5 minutes while waiting for a bus, nothing like that. The NX is being touted as a proper gaming experience. If they try marrying it with a phone, it is going to fail.
They're not marrying the NX with a phone. He first talks about the NX, he then later hads that along with the NX Nintendo will do more with the mobile market after the success of Miitomo.

He isn't saying that both will be the same, just that they're not putting all their eggs in one basket.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Is there something happening in Japan where mobile gaming is rising and console gaming is fallen?
Yes. Very much so. Japanese apartments are TINY compared what western countries consider normal. Having a dedicated "entertainment center" that can accommodate a game console is much more rare. Since TVs have become flatter, the norm for a an up-to-date residence is flat-screen mounted on the wall with all cords inside the wall, so that the TV takes up as little space as a wall painting or poster.

Handheld and mobile phone gaming is the much more popular option for the game-buying public.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Tatsumi Kimishima says two different things here. One is "the NX will not be sold at a loss". Despite what the comments section seems to think, that's not a bad thing. If it hadn't come with the Kinect, I imagine the Xbox One wouldn't have been sold at a loss either. It doesn't mean it will be underpowered, it means the NX will use components that will cost about $300-400 all up, which is fairly standard.

The second is that he says that Nintendo will "focus heavily on mobile". He's just repeating what was said earlier by the late Satoru Iwata. The only reason it's actually a big deal now is because Kimishima is not a developer, so that makes it worse apparently. And for those of you complaining about Miyamoto being put on app development, remember that he no longer produces Zelda or Metroid, arguably the two home console giants for Nintendo. His main production is Mario, and that can easily be recreated on a phone. So it's not that nonsensical.

And to the author: as I mentioned above, he says two different things. So don't try to link them together just to gets clicks.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
The Enquirer said:
In all seriousness Nintendo does seem to do well in the mobile market and they've got no real competition.
How about every smartphone ever? lol

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dragongit said:
So it will literally have 400 dollars worth of hardware in there.
No. Not selling at a loss means they will either break even or sell at a profit. Neither would be a shock, as Nintendo's done 'em both.

What it means is only that the cost of the hardware will not exceed the per unit price. And probably not actually retail price.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
There was one theory I heard that does sound rather interesting: that the new Nintendo consoles will go back to a cartridge system instead of discs. The downside is that the cartridges are more cumbersome to store and difficult to produce, but with the recent developments in harddrive technology (which cartridges are, for the most part), you could fit so much more on them. Hell, I've got a 1 TB harddrive that's about half the size of my Majora's Mask cartridge, and that one is still a bit old.

Imagine what you could do if you had 1 TB of harddrive to fill with just one game! Hell, 500 GB is still a pretty good size for most games! You can have all the swanky graphics you want, without the need to skimp on content! You could make music with highquality audio, all on WAV och OGG-files! Of course it still won't solve the general cost for developing games, but it's something.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
C117 said:
There was one theory I heard that does sound rather interesting: that the new Nintendo consoles will go back to a cartridge system instead of discs. The downside is that the cartridges are more cumbersome to store and difficult to produce, but with the recent developments in harddrive technology (which cartridges are, for the most part), you could fit so much more on them. Hell, I've got a 1 TB harddrive that's about half the size of my Majora's Mask cartridge, and that one is still a bit old.

Imagine what you could do if you had 1 TB of harddrive to fill with just one game! Hell, 500 GB is still a pretty good size for most games! You can have all the swanky graphics you want, without the need to skimp on content! You could make music with highquality audio, all on WAV och OGG-files! Of course it still won't solve the general cost for developing games, but it's something.
They will use Flash technology if this comes to fruition. HDDs are too large (physically), too loud, too slow and break too easily. Plus they already use SSDs in the Wii U and SD Cards in the 3DS, so that could just be a logical extension. If they use Flash tech then it is likely that they will support up to 128GB cards, as the largest modern game I know of (ESO) is 80GB in size.