Nintendo Offering "Insane Incentives" to Digital Publishers

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Nintendo Offering "Insane Incentives" to Digital Publishers

According to an unnamed developer, Nintendo may be rethinking its publishing model.

The original Wii was a groundbreaking success, but it's no secret that they let some opportunities slip through their fingers. The most notable examples include its underdeveloped online features and lack of digital downloads, features which Sony and Microsoft consoles are well-versed in. Nintendo wants into this lucrative digital market, and according to an unnamed European developer, it's willing to put its money where its mouth is by offering lucrative incentives to publish full retail games on the eShop.

"They're offering insane incentives for publishers to sell retail games as downloads on the console," the developer said. "You'd be stupid not to take advantage of it and go retail box-only." While this information is unconfirmed by Nintendo, Wii U Daily noted that this is the same source that correctly revealed Wii U's achievement and cloud-networking systems to the public.

While we don't have specifics, the source explains that Nintendo will offer developers and publishers competitive revenue cuts much higher than what Microsoft and Sony currently provide. Even more significant is that the system will be much more supportive of indie developers. The source claims that "it's a whole different ball game than WiiWare. They've learned a lot from that mess."

If this information is true, then it suggests that Nintendo has learned from its mistakes with digital distribution. This wouldn't be surprising; the release history of the 3DS alone shows that Nintendo is a company that takes these lessons to heart. The only remaining concern is whether the Wii U's hard drive storage (rumored to be approximately 8GB) can support or be expanded to support full-sized retail games.

Source: Wii U Daily via <a href=http://www.edge-online.com/news/nintendo-offering-insane-incentives-eshop-support>EDGE

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
If they open up just a little bit to Steam, I would not even be able to contain my excitement.

With a little bit of tweaking, Portal 2 could have the definitive version on the Wii-U.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
say what you will about Nintendo, they're willing to improve from past mistakes unlike a lot of other developers and publishers. After all, the Wii and the 3DS are arguably the results of trying things that didn't work the first time around but trying them again due to improved tech

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Could be awesome. Though games are not small at all anymore. I would be interested to see if they are going to offer a better version of the WiiU that is more suited for digital downloading. I really hate their store on the 3DS. They need to do away with how a lot of it works. Like going directly to actual memory units rather than blocks.

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Fanghawk said:
The only remaining concern is whether the Wii U's hard drive storage (rumored to be approximately 8GB) can support or be expanded to support full-sized retail games.
They confirmed that you can buy any external hard drive and plug it in for more storage a long time ago.

"Wii U uses an internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage." (http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/)

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Nintendo offering publishers incentives? Since when did this become Bizarro World?

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
phoenixbeast said:
Fanghawk said:
The only remaining concern is whether the Wii U's hard drive storage (rumored to be approximately 8GB) can support or be expanded to support full-sized retail games.
They confirmed that you can buy any external hard drive and plug it in for more storage a long time ago.

"Wii U uses an internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage." (http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/)
Yeah but come on, if you're going to offer full retail games as digital downloads you need more storage than that. If you have to buy more storage from the get go what's the point?

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Hazy992 said:
phoenixbeast said:
Fanghawk said:

Yeah but come on, if you're going to offer full retail games as digital downloads you need more storage than that. If you have to buy more storage from the get go what's the point?
Oh I know that, I was merely answering the question in the article. However its at least preferable to proprietary memory types that cost a fortune for not that much storage. Would I prefer a larger hard drive on launch so I didn't have to worry about it? Obviously, yes. Am I happy that I can go buy a 50 dollar drive from Newegg or Amazon and probably never run out of space? Oh yeah. And for some people, they might never use the storage they have. If it keeps costs down, then I'm fine with it.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
phoenixbeast said:
Hazy992 said:
phoenixbeast said:
Fanghawk said:

Oh I know that, but its at least preferable to proprietary memory types that cost a fortune for not that much storage. Would I prefer a larger hard drive on launch so I didn't have to worry about it? Obviously, yes. Am I happy that I can go buy a 50 dollar drive from Newegg or Amazon and probably never run out of space? Oh yeah. And for some people, they might never use the storage they have. If it keeps costs down, then I'm fine with it.
It just seems odd that they're playing this up so much but then don't even give you the storage to save one game.

And however you look at it, 8GB is pitiful. The original Xbox had that much 11 years ago. It doesn't even save all that much in costs. They could easily just stick an 80GB hard drive in there.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
subtlefuge said:
If they open up just a little bit to Steam, I would not even be able to contain my excitement.

With a little bit of tweaking, Portal 2 could have the definitive version on the Wii-U.
Well, prepare for a smidgin' of excitement then, my friend, because both Nintendo and Valve have said that it could happen.

Okay, it ain't exactly an out-and-out confirmation that it will happen, but at least we know that the door's open...

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
That's good news although i'm more intrested in what pricing models they plan to impliment, atm consoles are in dire need of something to bridge the gap between triple AAA and £10-$15 XBLAs. Atm retail is killing off B and niche games

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Will digital games cost half as much as boxed ones? no? then then no they havent learned.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
phoenixbeast said:
Fanghawk said:

Playing games off an external harddrive over USB sounds like it'll cause some loading time problems. But I may be wrong there.