Nintendo Offering "Insane Incentives" to Digital Publishers

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Elmoth said:
Strazdas said:
Will digital games cost half as much as boxed ones? no? then then no they havent learned.
They haven't learned that it's a good idea to piss off retailers? Which it would. That's been the problem with digital availability of games, it'd put retailers out of business and so they put pressure on the digital download serves, saying that they'll stop selling those games if they're cheaper.
good. retailers should die out. the sooner the better.
MetalMagpie said:
Playing games off an external harddrive over USB sounds like it'll cause some loading time problems. But I may be wrong there.
of course it will, USB2 is pretty much limited at 5,25MB/s altrough USB3 is faster (dont remember the numbers atm), but still it cant beat a 7200rpm HDD (and even that causes oading problems) not even talking about the SSD Hard drives.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Kinda seems like they're trying too hard.
Well, they kind of have to... they do have 27 years of terrible third-party relations to overcome, after all.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Hazy992 said:
And however you look at it, 8GB is pitiful. The original Xbox had that much 11 years ago. It doesn't even save all that much in costs. They could easily just stick an 80GB hard drive in there.
I wonder if it's a question of size/weight rather than costs. Just speculating on the grounds that the Wii is noticeably much smaller and lighter than the Xbox360 or PS3. Maybe they view that as one of their selling points?

My boyfriend's mother is one of the only people I know with a Wii. And she likes the fact that it tucks away into a little nook in her TV stand (with the controllers in a drawer and the games with the DVDs). So she doesn't need to make lots of space for something she doesn't use very often.

Just a thought.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
MetalMagpie said:
Hazy992 said:
And however you look at it, 8GB is pitiful. The original Xbox had that much 11 years ago. It doesn't even save all that much in costs. They could easily just stick an 80GB hard drive in there.
I wonder if it's a question of size/weight rather than costs. Just speculating on the grounds that the Wii is noticeably much smaller and lighter than the Xbox360 or PS3. Maybe they view that as one of their selling points?

My boyfriend's mother is one of the only people I know with a Wii. And she likes the fact that it tucks away into a little nook in her TV stand (with the controllers in a drawer and the games with the DVDs). So she doesn't need to make lots of space for something she doesn't use very often.

Just a thought.
I dunno, it looks kinda bulky to me. It's certainly bigger than the Wii. Hard drives aren't exactly massive though

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
weirdguy said:
ah, doing what the industry does best...large bribes.
Giving initiative is not giving bribes.
The developer already get a cut from all sales (well duh, they made the game). Nintendo just increased the amount they get. That's not a bribe, that's business.

Strazdas said:
Elmoth said:
Strazdas said:
Will digital games cost half as much as boxed ones? no? then then no they havent learned.
They haven't learned that it's a good idea to piss off retailers? Which it would. That's been the problem with digital availability of games, it'd put retailers out of business and so they put pressure on the digital download serves, saying that they'll stop selling those games if they're cheaper.
good. retailers should die out. the sooner the better.
You might want that, Nintendo might want that, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. And they don't want to piss them off. Boxed console sales are still well over 50% of the total sales. That could change a bit with Nintendo because you will require an external disk and you can play them on other consoles as if they were on a disk. But even then I doubt it will change significantly enough to make an impact.

If Nintendo pissed of retail, retail stop selling WiiU, Wii, DS and 3DS games. Nintendo is fucked and no 3rd party developer would even think about developing for Nintendo.

That's why PC games cost 60 euro on release on Steam instead of some normal 30.

EDIT:
Ah, while I'm at it. Nintendo said that for now there will be the up to 8 GB internal memory, but Reggi said that that isn't 100%. They might increase that.

TBH, I would be fine with 30GB internal memory. I already have a 500GB external HDD which I use as backup for my PC and Wii games and I find it better because I can simply take my HDD and go to a friend. On of their major advertising about their online distribution is the ability of playing those games on other consoles.

Maybe they should add a way to connect a HDD with SATA III or II standards directly into the console. That would be a good solution for people who don't need mobility but want to reduce the loading time.

But then again, the problems start with pricing. It's rather hard to find a balance with what to cut out and what to add. The majority of player will be buying boxed games and a hard drive would just increase the cost for no reason.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
If it's compatible with SDHC cards then their isn't a problem. I can get a 32 gigs for less than 30 bucks. The only problem with the cards I see is that they are slow and I wouldn't be able to replace it with an SSD drive.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Aiddon said:
say what you will about Nintendo, they're willing to improve from past mistakes unlike a lot of other developers and publishers. After all, the Wii and the 3DS are arguably the results of trying things that didn't work the first time around but trying them again due to improved tech
Give me a brake, Nintendo just have no time (or apparent experience) to create a appealing online service in time for the WiiU launch this year and have desperately dropped their pants offering their ass to anyone who already have a working service established to see who's interested to "get on"

Better hope those "incentives" cover the cost of porting existing games over to this console since there are a LOT of games behind and to port all of them will take manpower, (let alone TIME) away from titles already being made for this current gen PS3 and Xbox360 systems. And IF they did in fact port all the multi-platform titles ever released on the other systems the Next Gen will already be here

People or should I say "hardcore" gamers beyond Nintendo fans have already Invested FAR too much in their respective systems (PS3, 360 and PC) to give the Will a passing glance because there re-releasing the same game again on a uncertain, less hardcore multilayer populated (people who want to play hardcore games actually need players of skill to play against) network. Gamers are not as easy to convince to buy the Wii anything as you would've convinced my grandparents, mom or someone who haven't played a video game their entire life.

PS2 and old Xbox game re-releases are an exception to this rule since my current PS3 don't play PS2 games and have considered AND bought the games again even when I already OWN the original PS2 title

Nintendo REALLY want to bring us rowdy, curse like pirates when 'competing online' gamers into their little Wii oriented happy place to offend their "family oriented" fan-base?

This is not a improvement from past mistakes, more like a cheap workaround

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
You might want that, Nintendo might want that, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. And they don't want to piss them off. Boxed console sales are still well over 50% of the total sales. That could change a bit with Nintendo because you will require an external disk and you can play them on other consoles as if they were on a disk. But even then I doubt it will change significantly enough to make an impact.

If Nintendo pissed of retail, retail stop selling WiiU, Wii, DS and 3DS games. Nintendo is fucked and no 3rd party developer would even think about developing for Nintendo.

That's why PC games cost 60 euro on release on Steam instead of some normal 30.
Boxed console sales are statistically over 50% because most platforms that sell digitally hide thier sale numbers for one reason or another and they dont get counted. For example steam sales are at 0 when counting PC games sales which is biviuosly a skewed statistic. If Nintendo does it alone, sure it will be a struggle, and know how well Nintendo develop their games... well... lets not. But if they worked together, it would be very easy to bring the retailers out of the loop. but ofc no company want that, because now they got an excuse to overprice games.