Nintendo on Supply Issues: "Sometimes we Get it Wrong"

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Zontar said:
RaikuFA said:
Zontar said:
RJ 17 said:
"Sometimes" you get it wrong? You got it wrong with Amiibos. You got it wrong with NES Classics. You got it wrong with Switches. I've got a strong feeling you're going to "get it wrong" with the SNES Classic.
Don't forget the Wii, that thing could have outsold the PS2 had they actually kept a proper supply of it when the thing was selling out around the world. That's when they consistently started having supply problems.
Don't forget someone died trying to win one. Plus, this issue can go back to the NES with Mario 2 and Zelda 2. The pulled the same shit with Earthbound.
With those titles given the era I can say that it was at least justifiable that they'd underestimate demand, but after the absolute failure that was the Wii's launch you'd think they'd have realised people actually *gasp* want their games.
But then they used Earthbound's low sales to justify not localizing it's sequel.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fox12 said:
And yet Sony and Microsoft don't have this problem...
This. The PS2, highest selling console of all time, did not have this problem. How is Nintendo having this problem for now 4 console launches in a row and Amiibos?

And why are people still covering for them?
Wasn't there a stocking issue with the PS2? Like, the first month or two? At least they "got it wrong" and fixed it instead of telling people they're SOL.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CaptainMarvelous said:
FalloutJack said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
I can't speak for the internet at large
Right, so you understand me, then. Good to know.
Oh come on now, cherry picking? You're better than that.
No no, see, this is actually an object lesson. I'm not trying to say that I know the internet better. I'm pointing out that the lack of overall research that an individual does shows that you can't just make the claim 'Everybody does a thing'. It's just a hasty generalization that I'm taking the piss out of. You're right. We DON'T know. That's the point I was making. Now, what I DO know is that there is a movement of Nintendo fans who come out of the woodwork to defend the nest. This is a thing that happens. I don't know their numbers either, but their existence shows a certain untrueness to the argument posed by the other guy. I will, in fact, demonstrate my point by not doing any research at all, thus proving it.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
FalloutJack said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
FalloutJack said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
I can't speak for the internet at large
Right, so you understand me, then. Good to know.
Oh come on now, cherry picking? You're better than that.
No no, see, this is actually an object lesson. I'm not trying to say that I know the internet better. I'm pointing out that the lack of overall research that an individual does shows that you can't just make the claim 'Everybody does a thing'. It's just a hasty generalization that I'm taking the piss out of. You're right. We DON'T know. That's the point I was making. Now, what I DO know is that there is a movement of Nintendo fans who come out of the woodwork to defend the nest. This is a thing that happens. I don't know their numbers either, but their existence shows a certain untrueness to the argument posed by the other guy. I will, in fact, demonstrate my point by not doing any research at all, thus proving it.
Buuuuut do you not see the disingenuity if you only spark up these observations if the point disagrees with you? There's plenty of people making assumptions with no research, why single out the only guy who did some?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
RaikuFA said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fox12 said:
And yet Sony and Microsoft don't have this problem...
This. The PS2, highest selling console of all time, did not have this problem. How is Nintendo having this problem for now 4 console launches in a row and Amiibos?

And why are people still covering for them?

Wasn't there a stocking issue with the PS2? Like, the first month or two? At least they "got it wrong" and fixed it instead of telling people they're SOL.
My bad on that statement.

You bring up a good point with the SOL treatment Nintendo gives to its customers. The Wii was awful for stock issues for a year straight. The Wii U was bad for a while as well. When supply issues hit Nintendo, they hit hard and long.

A manager at the local EB Games straight up said to me a month ago, Nintendo isn't replenishing Switches full on until July. They're stuck getting maybe 1 or 3 a week if lucky and they can't put them on hold. Kind of lends weight to the artificial shortage meme that Nintendo gets hit with. There's a fuck ton of people who bought a copy of BOTW but no Switch because pre-orders ran out immediately.

It makes Nintendo look bad every time this happens. And every time they come off as a company doing 90s style business tactics to drum up demand. That stuff drives people away.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CaptainMarvelous said:
There's plenty of people who make claims based upon deciding their conclusion before their apparent research and get it wrong. There's others that only say they did the research and didn't do any. And you know what? I can't really tell one from the other, because there is no way to really verify if they have or not. It seems unlikely that one person wishing to throw their weight around really did what was claimed, though. In my case, I'm just using plain old common sense. Nintendo appears to have alot of fans who will shout at those with a grievance. They should not have gotten it wrong, but they did.

*Shrugs*

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
FalloutJack said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
There's plenty of people who make claims based upon deciding their conclusion before their apparent research and get it wrong. There's others that only say they did the research and didn't do any. And you know what? I can't really tell one from the other, because there is no way to really verify if they have or not. It seems unlikely that one person wishing to throw their weight around really did what was claimed, though. In my case, I'm just using plain old common sense. Nintendo appears to have alot of fans who will shout at those with a grievance. They should not have gotten it wrong, but they did.

*Shrugs*
Fair enough, I guess. My perception is a little different but I have my own biases too.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
xaszatm said:
lol
Gamefaqs,
Even bigger lol.
this website,
meh.
Now you're just being silly.
Destructiod,
Back to the lol.
I mean seriously...

You list off all those sites as though their opinion on anything should be taken seriously. GameFAQs? 4Chan? KOTAKU?! Come now. Granted, it's hard to come up with reputable sources, but all the sites you've cited have communities that equate to cesspools. I'm surprised you didn't throw in reddit for good measure. :^)

From what I saw, the only thing that people were griping about was, indeed, the presentation.......as in the actual commercial itself. They were excited for the product - a combo handheld-home console - but the commercial for the product was just silly. "Hey guys! Lets stop playing actual basketball to go play videogame basketball!" "Oh look! All my hipster yuppie friends are having a rooftop party! I'll go hang out with them!.....and play videogames!"

It was still better than WiiU's marketing which had people wondering if it was a peripheral to the Wii. It showed what it was and what it could do: go from console to handheld with a literal snap. Play console-quality games on a portable system. It displayed all the function of the device without needing to say a word...but the actual imagery was just stupid.

Regardless of whether or not Nintendo made more Switches than the XBox One is completely irrelevant...considering the fact that the entire purpose of what I was previously harping on - market research - is to determine how much demand there is. If they low-balled it so much as to fail completely in meeting the demand, then they fucked up their market research, regardless of if they made more products than one of their competitors. It's simple, really: if you do proper market research, there shouldn't be stories about "There were literally 5 of these in my area and now they're all gone and won't be restocked for a few months."

As a product-producing company, that is never something you want happening.

But no, let's continue to push the narrative that Nintendo always purposefully limits stock to artificially create demand even though anyone with a basic economic knowledge knows how stupid and short-sighted such a plan that is on something so frivolous as a video game console.
I'm not trying to say it's a purposeful conspiracy, I'm saying it's flat-out incompetency. :^)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
RJ 17 said:
You list off all those sites as though their opinion on anything should be taken seriously. GameFAQs? 4Chan? KOTAKU?! Come now. Granted, it's hard to come up with reputable sources, but all the sites you've cited have communities that equate to cesspools. I'm surprised you didn't throw in reddit for good measure. :^)
On the other hand, combined all of those websites (including Reddit, for that matter) make up the vast majority of the outspoken and vocal part of the gaming community, so... what does that say about the state of the gaming community online?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
RJ 17 said:
On the other hand, combined all of those websites (including Reddit, for that matter) make up the vast majority of the outspoken and vocal part of the gaming community, so... what does that say about the state of the gaming community online?
That it amounts to a festering cesspool that you shouldn't listen too. Which can be said about almost all the internet (at least the internet that features comment sections). As such, if your "market research" is nothing more than "lets see what GameFAQs and 4chan has to say" then you're doing it wrong. :^)

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Aiddon said:
Gee, it's almost like there are only so many hours in the day to create units and that the only way you can truly gauge demand IS WHEN THE PRODUCT IS RELEASED. Not that people have ever let facts get in the way of gossip
Right? It's not like the hype gates were overflowing when it was first announced either.

What gets me is when people say it's deliberate to make sure every unit sells. It doesn't work like that! Take a Macroeconomics 101 class! Unless they're secretly behind the scalpers too, deliberately under producing is just leaving money on the proverbial table. It'd be stupid.

My best guess is the guys over at Nintendo Japan saw that "wow, we've got a lot of unsold Wii Us and those cost us a lot to make. Lets scale things down a bit so we don't greatly overproduce this time."

Either that or the Switch was rushed out the door before they could finish a larger production run (which would explain a few of the QC issues).