Nintendo Patches Out Same-Sex Marriage in Tomodachi Collection

May 14, 2013
Darken12 said:
Sticky said:
Want that to happen? Petition Nintendo. Don't blame a mere coder and/or QA person whose mere job is to fix logical problems with how the game is currently defined.
False dichotomy.
Only if you've never programmed a day in your life. If you are working as part of a team, you have only two choices: Fix it or get out.

Darken12 said:
Implies there is no possibility of fixing a bug without that kind of undesirable results. There is. Don't paint the programmers as tragic victims who had no other choice but to do this. There were other ways of accomplishing their goals. They just did not care.
Oh they had another choice:

They could lose their jobs.

Is that what you want? I mean, Nintendo would just go find someone else to fix the bug. And in the end nothing would have changed anyway. But do you think that programmer is going to lose his job over what amounts to something that he has to do every day?

I find it kind of interesting that you would rather this person get fired fighting this futile battle over a misunderstanding in the game instead of doing what would be the actual, moral thing to do if he really wanted to make change: Which is petition the higher levels to try and allocate resources to implement this feature.

Do you seriously think this was as easy as pressing a big red button called "Fix Bug Without Being a Bigot"? Do you think they just happened to press the one right next to it that was called "Fix Bug(Special Homophobia Edition)"?

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Sticky said:

Nope. They could have taken the trouble to resolve the male-pregnancy issue without banning same-sex marriage. That was an option too.

Let's get one thing straight: unless you work for Nintendo and were there when they were handling this bug, everything you're saying is purely hypothetical. The option to fix the bug in a different way was always there. Whether it was the programmer's fault or if it was their management who refused to let them fix the bug in a different way, or if it was a direct order from the upper echelons stating that gay marriage was a mistake that should have never happened. I genuinely do not care. The outcome is the same.

And as I have repeatedly stated, I care far more about the outcome than the intricacies of where and why it went wrong, especially when those intricacies are used to excuse away the outcome.

May 14, 2013
Darken12 said:
Sticky said:

Nope. They could have taken the trouble to resolve the male-pregnancy issue without banning same-sex marriage. That was an option too.

Let's get one thing straight: unless you work for Nintendo and were there when they were handling this bug, everything you're saying is purely hypothetical.
Yeah, maybe I don't know for 100% fact how this particular instance went down. But I do know how large programming teams work, and I know how game companies typically function. And you very clearly do not. I would go as far as to say that you've never had to work with another large group of people in a company organization before based purely on how you say they should have solved this problem.

Let's get one thing straight: when you work in a section of a project, be it bug fixing, patching, testing, or adding features. You stay there, you do not overstep your bounds. Because the second you do that in a professional environment, you're out. Gone, period.

Here's how this situation likely went down with my experience with programming teams and bug fixing: Someone noticed the bug and filed a QA report on it. A QA tester verified the bug and forwarded it to the appropriate team for fixing. The team examined the bug and fixed it.

They didn't start adding features

They didn't start trying to find ways to keep the bug

They didn't start trying to re-form the team and make a whole new scenario where same sex marriage was possible

Why? Because that's not their job. They aren't managers, they aren't going to supersede the chain of command. And if that QA tester went back and found the bug un-fixed, that programmer would be in trouble.

Maybe you don't understand this, but people with good jobs at Nintendo don't want to risk their position. No one does, no one is going to take a stand over something that is, for all intents and purposes, unintended behavior with the game. The job of making a same-sex branch in the game code falls squarely in the realm of management. Not these bug testers

So you can take your hypotheticals about how these people should have gone over their manager and made a completely new branch of this project and find a manager who wouldn't fire your ass on the spot for even suggesting that.

Even the mere suggestion of that at some companies is akin to mutiny. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand how large of a project you're proposing is. I guess as long as someone else is doing it, then it's real easy to say "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE THIS WAY" from the sidelines, right?

Darken12 said:
And as I have repeatedly stated, I care far more about the outcome than the intricacies
Then you care more about feeling good than actual truth or facts. The devil is always in the details, and you so casually saying "ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT THE PROGRAMMERS AT NINTENDO ARE WRONG" completely misses why they did that, what the correct approach is, and how in the future this could be addressed.

Turning everything into a bad guy / good guy scenario only paints you as being extremely emotionally charged.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Sticky said:
Turning everything into a bad guy / good guy scenario only paints you as being extremely emotionally charged.
That's not what I'm doing. I am expressing my opinion in an open forum. You are the one repeatedly challenging my opinion and using hypotheticals to try and sway me. I have repeatedly stated that I do not care how or why it happened. I do not care if it was a programmer who did it wilfully, or because he didn't know better, or because it's a tyrannical workplace environment. I do not care if it was a direct order from the higher-ups and the programmers were doing what they were told. I do not care about the programmers and I am not blaming them for anything. My anger is directed at Nintendo as a company for the end result that we are currently witnessing.

You do not agree? That is perfectly fine. I have no intention of swaying you to my point of view. Feel free to keep on thinking whatever you want to think.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Darken12 said:
Sticky said:
That's not what I'm doing.

I do not care how or why it happened

My anger is directed at Nintendo as a company for the end result
So... basically you're painting it as a strictly bad guy/ good guy scenario?

(in an open forum, of course)

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Innegativeion said:
So... basically you're painting it as a strictly bad guy/ good guy scenario?

(in an open forum, of course)
No. I am merely expressing my anger and disapproval at this turn of events.

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
I love bigots or apologists trying to defend the action based on "Well, it was a bug so they should fix it, fuck all consequences!", because your computer can't really tell the difference between a bug and working as intended. If it could there wouldn't be bugs period. The only difference between 'bug' and 'working as intended' is your intentions. If a 'bug' came out that makes your game better, then really just say it's a feature because there's no real difference.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
JoJo said:
rasputin0009 said:
Nintendo has always been anti-gay. I'm surprised they even let Link be as feminine as he is and Zelda to cross-dress as Shiek. But I guess Link always saves a dress wearing Zelda in the end so it's okay.
Have they? I've never seen anything from Nintendo particularly anti-gay, I mean Nintendo games tend to barely even touch on romance and relationships really further than the fairy tale style "hero saves princess" angle a lot of their games seem to have. I suppose they could be criticized for lacking openly gay characters in most of their games but sadly that's currently a given for most media aimed at children.
Nintendo aims their products at children and are very cautious about controversial themes.
And its a necessary stance when you have a lot of games based on mascots and/or toons. (even if it makes them retrogade)

Still, I don't think you should call them homophobic, since they have Birdo, which is a transgender character! (and, well, since it has been hinted that it is Yoshi's girlfriend, then that could even make the egg-throwing dinossaur gay)
So I guess if you're a gay kid or what not you're not allowed to have self identifiable role models because bigots find anything that's different than them 'controversial'?

Cause you could make the same (bad) argument against having female or non-white protagonists too.

Bigots making people feel bad about who they are should be the more controversial stance, not people merely existing and being gay.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Same sex marriage is all well and good. Male pregnancy is a bit strange. If I was Nintendo (yes, the whole company) I'd have just run with it or tried to patch official same sex relationships in to engender a bit of good PR, but at least they're consistent either way.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Damien Granz said:
So I guess if you're a gay kid or what not you're not allowed to have self identifiable role models because bigots find anything that's different than them 'controversial'?

Cause you could make the same (bad) argument against having female or non-white protagonists too.

Bigots making people feel bad about who they are should be the more controversial stance, not people merely existing and being gay.
You have a very compelling argument. And you are completely right.

But, before throwing around words like "bigot" or calling my argument "bad", try to see the big picture here.

Nintendo is a company. It sells products. It is not an activist of any cause, nor a group of people trying to make the world a better place.

It is very convenient (and necessary for them, really) to do not take sides.
Those "bigots (that) find anything that's different than them 'controversial'" are consumers. Are voters. They have representatives of their points of view on the government, on rating boards ...
Are they the majority? I think it depends on the culture of the country. The times are rapidly changing to ensure the protection of the civil rights to gay people in a huge part of the world.

Still, Nintendo have to post a profit. It has to please shareholders, lest they simply go out of business.
And that is what I was saying. They cannot have Fox News using them as a target for bad journalism. They don't want fervorous christian parents refusing to buy their children DS's.
They gain nothing (and lost dearly) if they get a boycott from the more conservative part of society.
And older people are usually the ones that most resist change. They are the ones buying games for their kids.

That said, I don't find them homophobic. They just avoid the issue. (and even slipped in a transgender in their character roster)
Yes, sometimes not taking a stance is bad enough. I would be criticizing it if their core demographic were mostly teenagers or young adults (DC comics, for instance, took a good stand in a good moment). But, in Nintendo's case I find it justifiable.

The day will come when Nintendo, Disney, McDonalds, will all have an role model for that gay kid you mentioned. It is inevitable.
One day Samus won't take orders from a male figure and will have a girlfriend. Then Fox Mcloud could get married to a male wolf.
We are just not there yet, and, unfortunately, a company can't deny this fact.

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Damien Granz said:

You have a very compelling argument. And you are completely right.

But, before throwing around words like "bigot" or calling my argument "bad", try to see the big picture here.
I'm not necessarily saying you're a bigot, but the only people that actually find a gay (or non-white, non-male, etc.) protagonist, especially in a game where the protagonist is supposed to be 'yourself' as controversial are bigots, and that an argument that revolves around "He who throws around the largest unwarranted shit-fit gets their way" is somewhat inherently bad and self fulfilling.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Nintendo is a company. It sells products. It is not an activist of any cause, nor a group of people trying to make the world a better place.

It is very convenient (and necessary for them, really) to do not take sides.
Except they've inherently taken sides by being "You can make yourself (unless you're gay/bi)". It's harmful to the people that are being discriminated against that people are trying to say that the 'neutral' stance is "Go fuck yourself". That might seem like the neutral stance if you're apathetic to the issue at hand because it doesn't effect you, but you're confusing 'neutral stance' to 'statistically more common outcome'.

Think about it if it was in reverse, if there was only gay marriage and a bug came out and allowed opposite sex partners. Would you consider it 'neutral' stance to make a patch to ban opposite sex relationships? No you'd feel it was somewhat spiteful and foolish. You wouldn't consider your erasure or exclusion to be neutrality. Now, I know that you might be thinking 'make your own game/community' etc, but imagine now if this was the case in every community or sphere. Imagine if people didn't want you at their restaurants, bars, pools, schools, sports teams, in their movies, games, books etc... and it gets old very fast.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Those "bigots (that) find anything that's different than them 'controversial'" are consumers. Are voters. They have representatives of their points of view on the government, on rating boards ...
I'm unsure that I like the insinuation that discrimination is OK as long as you have enough money, and it has a pretty weak legal backing as it is, and one that's weakening every day. Also it's a bad matter of principle to be like "Well, something is bad but it's hard to change it because bigots might complain". It seems like a self fulfilling prophecy where you get in a loop or echo chamber of unchallenged hate because those that might challenge it are afraid of hurting the feelings of those shouting the hate, making bigots feel more powerful and more willing to keep shouting louder, etc.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Are they the majority? I think it depends on the culture of the country. The times are rapidly changing to ensure the protection of the civil rights to gay people in a huge part of the world.
Yeah, homophobes are in the minority and are becoming more so every day, but not because bystanders one day woke up and just had an epiphany or ex-bigots hearts grew 3 sizes one day. They did so because LGBT groups and straight allies have fought against the status quo, and straight allies and LGBT people started a dialogue with each other to find out that they're actually people and not some nebulous 'not my problem' other, one that bigots never wanted to happen.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Still, Nintendo have to post a profit. It has to please shareholders, lest they simply go out of business.
You say this though as if LGBT people or allies or people apathetic to them have no money to spend too though, and that's a myth that needs to be dispelled as well. A lot of people bend at the knee for bigotry because they think "If I don't take money from horrible people, then I won't have money at all", but that's not the case. That's what I mean by it being bad to stay silent in the first place as it creates that bigotry echo chamber where myths like this prevail.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
And that is what I was saying. They cannot have Fox News using them as a target for bad journalism. They don't want fervorous Christian parents refusing to buy their children DS's.
Yes, because right wing journalists will never use video games or modern technology or fads like rock music and flapper girls as a scapegoat for all of society's ills anyways.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
They gain nothing (and lost dearly) if they get a boycott from the more conservative part of society.
And older people are usually the ones that most resist change. They are the ones buying games for their kids.
See, again that's the harm that myth and echo chamber has done to you, is make you think that without taking money from horrible people they won't have money. That's why bigots want people to stay silent on issues, so that people who would otherwise be friendly like you think that without them you lose dearly and gain nothing.

Also, the core demographic for buying games aren't 55+ people, the core demographic for buying games are 20-30 year olds who are (increasingly every day) less homophobic. So they don't stand to 'gain nothing'.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
That said, I don't find them homophobic. They just avoid the issue. (and even slipped in a transgender in their character roster)
Even if I was to give them that one token transgendered character (and I don't, considering the Birdo thing came from a joke in a mistranslated manual from a game slapped together as a repaint of another game and was never intended to be a 'core' character, and the current status of said character's transgenderism is basically mute silence), they might not necessarily be doing this out of homophobic but out of like a general laziness, but it doesn't really change the fact that it's harmful.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Yes, sometimes not taking a stance is bad enough. I would be criticizing it if their core demographic were mostly teenagers or young adults (DC comics, for instance, took a good stand in a good moment). But, in Nintendo's case I find it justifiable.
I'm not sure where or why you believe that the core demographic for video games to be 55+ year olds. Especially a game about Miis.

Big_Boss_Mantis said:
The day will come when Nintendo, Disney, McDonalds, will all have an role model for that gay kid you mentioned. It is inevitable.
One day Samus won't take orders from a male figure and will have a girlfriend. Then Fox McCloud could get married to a male wolf.
We are just not there yet, and, unfortunately, a company can't deny this fact.
Well, first, I don't think anybody really cares so much to change established characters. I don't think really Samus 'needs' a relationship (gay or otherwise), etc. And also Fox and Falco are pretty much already a gay interracial married bickering couple as it is, the furry fandom's love for Krystal be damned. Katt was clearly Falco's beard. Jokes aside though, I do believe the day for inclusion will come too, but not as long as we assume that gay people or straight allies have nothing economic to contribute and stay silent as long as not staying silent will make bigots frown.

Because, as I said, it's bigots who want 'You're invisible and don't exist' to be the neutral stance. Especially in a game that's ostentatiously about 'yourself'. I could see an argument for a neutral stance for 'Mario' is that he's either straight or like, asexual, because asexual has been pretty much how he's always been portrayed except in like, maybe Mario 64 (he's kissed in other games by Peach but usually he just kinda sits there like a lump). But a neutral stance that the 'Damien' character is heterosexual isn't very neutral at all to me!