Nintendo President Explains Wii U Game Delays

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Nintendo, take as long as you like. I wouldn't care if I only got one WiiU game a year, because I know that given your devotion to quality, it'd be worth the wait.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
kajinking said:
This lack of games reminds me of my entire expience with the Wii. Bought it for Super Smash and Zelda and never touched it after that, so sad after so many fun hours with the Gamecube.

Just what exactly went wrong with Nintendo and consoles after the Gamecube?
Well, that's just your ignorance.
The Wii has lots of great games besides Zelda ans Super Smash. You just need to not be biased against them because they are on the Wii.
What is great and what is not is ultimately personal. And personally i think there were an absolute 0 of games that would be interesting on Wii. The only reason Nintendo is still afloat is because of people like you that will buy 30th mario or zelda game and play the same thing over and over again.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Strazdas said:
BiH-Kira said:
kajinking said:
This lack of games reminds me of my entire expience with the Wii. Bought it for Super Smash and Zelda and never touched it after that, so sad after so many fun hours with the Gamecube.

Just what exactly went wrong with Nintendo and consoles after the Gamecube?
Well, that's just your ignorance.
The Wii has lots of great games besides Zelda ans Super Smash. You just need to not be biased against them because they are on the Wii.
What is great and what is not is ultimately personal. And personally i think there were an absolute 0 of games that would be interesting on Wii. The only reason Nintendo is still afloat is because of people like you that will buy 30th mario or zelda game and play the same thing over and over again.
I need to add to this, because people really aren't taking advantage of the Wii catalog (which looks great on the Wii U through HDMI). Here's some Wii games I love that aren't Mario or Zelda (which are apparently discredited as being the same as prior releases even though they absolutely aren't):

No More Heroes 1/2 - (2 not on PS3)
Nights: Journey of Dreams
Muramasa
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower
The Metroid Prime Trilogy (which controls amazingly with the Wiimote)
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Zack & Wiki
Sin and Punishment
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Punch-Out! (My favorite boxing game)
Monster Hunter Tri (don't get it now though that the servers are shutting down, but it was there)
Trauma Team & other Trauma surgery games
de Blob
Dawn of Discovery (showed how motion control/pointer can make RTS viable on consoles)
Madworld
A Boy and his Blob
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Klonoa
Broken Sword
Monster Lab
Dokapon Kingdom
Shiren the Wanderer
The Kore Gang
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody

And that's just what happens to be on my shelf (not including Mario and Zelda of course, and excluding the Galaxy games feels like a crime), and also doesn't include some of the truly excellent Wiiware indie and low-mid tier games. It is absolutely worth building up a Wii collection. No, you're not getting Uncharted and Gears of War and shit, but that's the point. These games offer something different, and many of them have a pure..."magic" that can't be found elsewhere. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy or anything (though this means I'll immediately be accused of being one), I just really feel the need to oppose this notion that the Wii is a Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros player meant to collect dust once those are finished.

However, I've got no such love for the Wii U at this point, besides having ZombiU and an HDMI connection for my Wii games. I think that the Wii being SD resolution let publishers like Atlus go nuts due to low development costs. The tablet-controller is also more than likely a barrier, with devs afraid of making Wii U games that don't take advantage of it in some (meaningful) way. We're in that damned chicken and egg problem that the Vita has...nobody wants it because there's no killer games, and publishers aren't making games because there's not enough owners to sell them to. Something's got to give here or Nintendo could really start grasping at straws.

Sorry about the tangent there.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
kajinking said:
Bought it for Super Smash and Zelda and never touched it after that,
You my friend, have missed a lot of good games in that case.
I can't understand how people claim there's nothing good on the Wii? Good games don't just jump into your face.
If you want a good game then go search for it. Some of the games I've played which were absolutely fantastic I didn't find until 2 years after the game had been released, go to ebay and choose "wii" and "games" and look through that list and titles that seem interesting, check them up on a gaming site. I have a catalogue of maybe 30 wii games which of I only didn't like 1, half were OK games (whih is good to me as long as they don't suck) and I can honsestly say I toroughly enjoyed at least 10 of those games which have given me many hundreds of hours of gameplay.

EDIT:
I noticed many others have already pointed this out to you (first post and I jumped the gun a bit fast) and if a game is good or not is fully up to you but just naming two games of out hundreds and saying the whole console is shite is not a valid argument.

On Topic:

Yes it's sad that some good titles had to be pushed inot later release dates but looking at it ike this. If the game actually is being made, does it matter if you play it now or in 6 months? People need to chill a little and not rage over every little thing that doesn't go their way.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
Here's some Wii games I love that aren't Mario or Zelda (which are apparently discredited as being the same as prior releases even though they absolutely aren't):
And once again its worth repeating that all of the games you listed are absolutely worthless when it comes to my gaming therefore wii has 0 interesting games.

Guffe said:
[
I can't understand how people claim there's nothing good on the Wii?
Maybe you should think about the fact that people have different preferences?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Strazdas said:
Guffe said:
I am thinking about that.
I mean I have everything varying from fighters, rpg:s to FPSs that I find good among my games for the Wii. The only thing there really isn't are strategy games but those are more computer anyway (Fire Emblem is of course an alternative)

I just think people who own a Wii maybe often have either a PS or an Xbox besides the Wii and since all big titles are on those two they won't bother searching for games to the Wii and then claim there are no good games to it. Of course it's just a theory but it certainly seems like everyone who talks about the bad library for the Wii haven't even looked properly for games to play.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Guffe said:
Strazdas said:
Guffe said:
I mean I have everything varying from fighters, rpg:s to FPSs that I find good among my games for the Wii. The only thing there really isn't are strategy games but those are more computer anyway (Fire Emblem is of course an alternative)

I just think people who own a Wii maybe often have either a PS or an Xbox besides the Wii and since all big titles are on those two they won't bother searching for games to the Wii and then claim there are no good games to it. Of course it's just a theory but it certainly seems like everyone who talks about the bad library for the Wii haven't even looked properly for games to play.
Why should people actually have to go searching for good games to play on a system? It's a competative market with all the new triple As hitting selves all the time as well as the fact that older gamers like me don't have the time to try out a bunch of games we might not know a lot about.

Like I said before there was never anything that lured me back to the Wii after playing Twilight Princess and Brawl, I know about No More Heros 2, and Super Mario Galaxy but those just didn't seem like must buys for me.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
kajinking said:
Guffe said:
Strazdas said:
Guffe said:
Me saying something about searching for games
Why should people actually have to go searching for good games to play on a system?
True (the quoted part) the creators should be advertising games enough so people can find them easily and that way wake interest. But then again you are the first one in a long time to say this :p Most people whine about the AAA titles and go search for the awesomeness in less known Indie titles these days...

But yes, I can see the point in advertisment being huge, especially for people who maybe don't have that much time to roam around searching for the occasional diamond in a huge gaming market but those who want to play it safe.
Still doesn't change the fact there are loads of good games to the Wii thou ;D

I got to say thou on this site maybe a year ago or so there were a lot of threads about Wii games popular at the start of 2012 (Operation Rainfall (Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandoras Tower), Skyward Sword etc in several threads) and if you lurked around here back then they were impossible to miss.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
No console is ever going to have a library tailored exclusively to you. However, a console which has the Galaxy games, Muramasa, FAST Racing League, Xenoblade, Last Story, SS/TP, Sin And Punishment 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Animal Crossing, No More Heroes 1&2, Kirby's Epic Yarn and more is doing pretty well.

You're still wrong though. Your initial claim was that Nintendo's only still around because people keep buying Mario and Zelda, and that they're all the same game. Not only do Mario and Zelda games tend to be incredibly different from each other, but other users then went on to show you games they played which didn't revolve around Mario or Zelda. So there you go.
There is a difference between a console not being tailered to me and it having 0 games im intrested in, dont you think?
Nintendos financia sucess is held mostly by mario and zelda. this is not wrong, as all those other games, while not a loss, is not profitable enough to uphold the hardware gigant like nintendo. I didnt say they are the same games, i said there are 30 of them (an extragaration i admit).

Guffe said:
Not hard enough it seems.
So if i have 100 games list (and i do) that i want to play on other platforms, i should go and look for some forgotten Wii game that i might like because all the "heavy hitters" are not interesting? why should i do that? im sure there are some wii games shoved to the back of the list that i might enjoy, but is that enough to justifying buying the console? no.

Guffe said:
[Still doesn't change the fact there are loads of good gamesgames i like to the Wii thou ;D
Fixed that.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Your problem is that you're basically arguing that everything should be marketed as much as possible, which a) is already a huge problem in the industry, b) doesn't work for non-AAA games with niche appeal, and c) would just turn gamers off with a constant stream of ads and marketing. An industry where every game is given a $50 million marketing campaign is an industry which is going to turn its own consumers off its games, and bankrupt itself with its need for advertising.
All of this coudl be avoided if games were marketed correctly.
you know, you shouldnt market a slaighter FPS (See: Seriuos sam) as a strategy game. something those 50 million marketing campaigns seems to fail at.
COD is an example of good marketing campaign . they know their audience - passive agressive teens with lack of attention span - and they market towards it.