Nintendo President Says Wii U Sales Are "Not Bad"

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Doom972 said:
Also, calling an 8-bit console a next-gen console would be like me tying a leash to a cardboard box and calling it my pet. People would nod in agreement but would probably think that I need some mental treatment. Just because it's not properly defined, it doesn't mean that people don't expect a next-gen console to have next-gen technology.
Treblaine said:
Not it isn't.

If it was then it would be a worthless descriptor.

We've had this conversation before, I remember vaguely, and it seems you're still making the same argument I refuted months ago.
Then can I say it's a worthless descriptor? Because that's what it is: It's about the era they come out, not their power. For example, here's 2 consoles that came out in the 7th Generation (The one Before): The HyperScan [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperScan] and The Zeebo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeebo]. These two systems are downgrades from the current gen, and I can prove it:

These consoles just plain suck, but they are considered 7th Generation because they came out when the 7th Generation was! In conclusion, Generation = Time, Generation =/= Power.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Treblaine said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
'Next gen' is not a descriptor of technology, it simply refers to which period in which a console is released.
Not it isn't.

If it was then it would be a worthless descriptor.

We've had this conversation before, I remember vaguely, and it seems you're still making the same argument I refuted months ago.
You didn't refute anything. You simply stuck your fingers in your ears.
And yet the rest of your post is covering a load of points I distinctly remember showing to be irrelevant months ago.

There is an exact case of you sticking your fingers in YOUR ears.

I'm not going to fight you Jeffers, I know there is reason in you.

Mr.Mattress said:
Generation = Time, Generation =/= Power.
Nintendo proves that it's better to spend money in marketing than hardware. That's not the old definition, it's an entirely new and not widely accepted definition.

It was a wonderful bit of PR, just rebrand the and segregate the Gamecube to help create a false dichotomy of comparing it against PS3 rather than against the PS2.

If Sony pulled the same thing EVERYONE WOULD FLIP THEIR EVER LOVING SHIT! If the Playstation 4 was released and we learned it was nothing but a PS3 with a new controller, and a 3x higher price tag... you thought there was a shitstorm over PSN going down.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Treblaine said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Generation = Time, Generation =/= Power.
Nintendo proves that it's better to spend money in marketing than hardware. That's not the old definition, it's an entirely new and not widely accepted definition.

It was a wonderful bit of PR, just rebrand the and segregate the Gamecube to help create a false dichotomy of comparing it against PS3 rather than against the PS2.

If Sony pulled the same thing EVERYONE WOULD FLIP THEIR EVER LOVING SHIT! If the Playstation 4 was released and we learned it was nothing but a PS3 with a new controller, and a 3x higher price tag... you thought there was a shitstorm over PSN going down.
Actually, if Sony pulled that off, I would say "Yeah, I was expecting that. They're finally playing smart again. Sure, I won't buy it, but that's because I'm not a fan of Sony". No, it would be people who scream "Nintendo's consoles aren't truely this generation!" (like you) who would cry bloody murder when there wasn't any murder.

And I'm sorry, find me the Nintendo commercial that says "Oh, sure, the Wii is not as powerful as the 360/PS3, but hey, a generation isn't defined by power!" It is the old definition, your trying to create a new one.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
You know, for a next gen consol--

*Sees random discussion about next gen consoles*

Never mind...I'm not taking that bullet. have fun, kiddies!

OT: it might be because I'm older or something but when the WiiU was announced, all I could manage was a "eh". When the Wii was announced, though, I was excited and curious about the new technology. I even bought a Wii (Of course, i was later disappointed but still). I dunno, it could be just me.

Nintendo worries me anyway. Not just because of this but because of the decisions they've been doing lately.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
They're finally playing smart again.
No, that's not playing smart, that's treating its customers like idiots and exploiting them. Even you admit you wouldn't fall such a phony PS4 console, you just would admire Sony for exploiting other gamers who didn't know.

Nintendo repeatedly referred to the Wii as "next gen" in relative to Gamecube, and refused to allow any comparison between PS2 and Wii, only the likes of Wii and PS3.

Regardless of semantics, I don't care if Nintendo somehow declares that WiiU is an 11th generation console, it doesn't mean that it does not have the mediocre graphics for a price far higher price than other consoles that do jsut as well or better.

Xbox 360 proved right on launch day it's superior graphics with games like Call of Duty 2, Condemned Criminal origins and Dead or Alive 4 where it was immediately apparent the graphical quality was a whole leap above anything on PS2 or Gamecube or Xbox. WiiU has shown it's just an overpriced poorly supported Xbox.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Treblaine said:
Mr.Mattress said:
They're finally playing smart again.
No, that's not playing smart, that's treating its customers like idiots and exploiting them. Even you admit you wouldn't fall such a phony PS4 console, you just would admire Sony for exploiting other gamers who didn't know.
I don't like Playstations though. That's the only reason I wouldn't buy: My PS1 when I was a kid only had Spyro, my PS2 only had the Kingdom Hearts series and Shadow of the Colossus, and My PS3 hasn't played a video game since 2010.

Nintendo repeatedly referred to the Wii as "next gen" in relative to Gamecube, and refused to allow any comparison between PS2 and Wii, only the likes of Wii and PS3.
Because Generation is time, not graphical power, and when the Wii first came out, no one compared it to the PS2, because back then no one was like "Ah, Graphics are what make a Generation, not the time they were released!" And Nintendo didn't refuse anyone to compare it to the PS2, people simply didn't.

Regardless of semantics, I don't care if Nintendo somehow declares that WiiU is an 11th generation console, it doesn't mean that it does not have the mediocre graphics for a price far higher price than other consoles that do jsut as well or better.
If they said they were 11th Generation, then yeah, I would agree that that's not true. But they aren't declaring themselves that, they are saying it's 8th Generation, which is true.

Secondly, I have a WiiU now, and I can tell you it does not have Mediocre Graphics. As evidence, here is Trine 2: Directors cut, which Creator Frozenbyte has declared the best version of Trine 2 on a console:

Compared with Trine 2 for the Xbox Live Arcade:

WiiU's Trine 2 > Xbox 360's Trine 2

Xbox 360 proved right on launch day it's superior graphics with games like Call of Duty 2, Condemned Criminal origins and Dead or Alive 4 where it was immediately apparent the graphical quality was a whole leap above anything on PS2 or Gamecube or Xbox. WiiU has shown it's just an overpriced poorly supported Xbox.
Bold accusation, and a down right incorrect one.

Condemned Gampelay:

It looks like a Poor Man's Shenmue and it can't even run 720p.

Call of Duty 2 Gameplay:

Just look at that hand when he's reloading his gun! That's Graphical prowess right there... Except it looks horrendous! And again, it can't run 720p! Not only that, there's no debris, no blood on the victem who died, and the bodies look like molded clay.

Dead Or Alive 4 Gameplay:

I would have given you this one, if it didn't look only slightly better then Dead or Alive 2 for the Dreamcast:

All in All, all these games graphics look horrendous, especially compared to late Xbox games like Halo 2. You cannot claim that the Xbox 360 was a graphical powerhouse right off the bat, when all of it's games looked like crap off the bat!

Kirke

Apr 3, 2011
I wonder if Nintendo is making a habit of releasing a next-gen console before everyone else with silly name? It's gonna be difficult for them Generation 9 then. Frankly I'm not sure they can top WiiU in terms of name.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I think once we see the PS4/Xbox720 on the playing field, we're going to see an all around drop in console sales overall. And it won't be pretty.