Nintendo pulling some hostage bullshit.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
http://twinfinite.net/2017/08/2d-metroid-samus-returns/

Pretty much if you want more 2D Metroid you'd better buy Samus Returns at launch. Not a month from it's release, you have to buy it the day it comes out.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The article says nothing about -having- to buy it at launch. The person interviewed only says that future titles will depend on how popular this game will be. Which is understandable, since even making a 2d metroid game costs quite a bit of money. If it's not worth making such games, why bother?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Well Metroid has always been a niche series and basically everyone was literally begging Nintendo to make a new "proper" metroid game.

Now Nintendo is finally doing what everyone was crying at them for by giving us not one, but 2 Metroid games. if Samus Returns and Prime 4 don't sell then it'll be sad but fair enough if Nintendo decides not to keep supporting he franchise in the future.

the future of Metroid is just like the future of Fire Emblem was before Awakening released and the series kept selling badly. Fire Emblem was going to die as well if Awakening didn't sell and luckily it did sell.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm with the others, I'm all for calling Nintendo out, but this is a bit much.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nintendo is full of bullshit business practices but waiting to see if a game sells before making another is hardly one of them.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Regardless of whether they say it or not, a game selling well is more likely to lead to getting more of it.

Calling it hostage bullshit is a bit much. Every game's a hostage situation for their hypothetical sequel then if you're going to put it that way.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
IMO the problem with metroid is and has been for the longest time it introduced this really cool sci-fi world and then hasnt done much of anything with it for 30 years. Its got the same problem that I feel destiny has, it has a really cool story/premise that no one wants to tell.

Im really only going to be interested in the franchise if it moves beyond Samus and the metroids but people call for more samus and metriods so thats what were getting

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Series like Metroid and Starfox are mainly popular with western audiences, and despite what alot of people think...Nintendo doesnt need us.

Thats a big reason why they get little love.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Hostage bullshit? More like general business practices. Product doesn?t sell? Future iterations of that product will have little to no chance of being made. Happens with movies, happens with books, happens with toys, and cars, and food brands, and yadda and yadda and yadda.

The consumer determines the the success or failure of the product. If Product A does not sell, then there will be no Product A 2.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
InsanityRequiem said:
Hostage bullshit? More like general business practices.
As well as lazy headlines and reporting. The actual statement Sakamoto says is "Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid." That's it. That's all he says. The site (which isn't host to the article Sakamoto's interview came from) is the one putting words in his mouth. But then again, Sakamoto just musing on making another 2D Metroid depending on fan feedback isn't histrionic and melodramatic. It's just bizarre how people who claim to be uninterested in Nintendo are the ones most obsessed with the company

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Last I checked Nintendo were running a business. The only reason why Nintendo release the occasional Metroid game is purely for Western audiences that want it. I they can't move Metroid in the West, there is no other market that it will make returns on.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Aiddon said:
InsanityRequiem said:
Hostage bullshit? More like general business practices.
As well as lazy headlines and reporting. The actual statement Sakamoto says is "Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid." That's it. That's all he says. The site (which isn't host to the article Sakamoto's interview came from) is the one putting words in his mouth. But then again, Sakamoto just musing on making another 2D Metroid depending on fan feedback isn't histrionic and melodramatic. It's just bizarre how people who claim to be uninterested in Nintendo are the ones most obsessed with the company
Not just that, but seem to have lost intelligence completely. Business does business practice that happens all over the world and said practice has exists for decades if not hundreds of years? Other business do it and everything is fine, Nintendo does it, Nintendo is awful and horrible and worst company ever and deserves death! It?s mind boggling how people?s hatred makes them forget the most basic, learn as a kid, business practices.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Guess I'll join the list of people thinking this is a little overblown.

Of course future Metroid games are dependent on how the franchise sells, that's just business. Nintendo is not going to make them out of the goodness of their heart. And from a business perspective, you can't really blame their caution, considering the poor reception of the last two games (deserved or otherwise).

Anyway, I'll probably pick up the new game, so that's at least one sale. Interested to see how it compares to AM2R.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
What's your preferred alternative? That they make it regardless of how well they imagine it would sell?

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Well, they'd better port it to Switch if they want me to buy it, since I'm done buying 3ds games.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
gsilver said:
Well, they'd better port it to Switch if they want me to buy it, since I'm done buying 3ds games.

it's obviously much easier and faster to develop a 3DS game than it is to develop an entirely new HD Switch game like Metroid Prime 4 is.

so if having to play Samus Returns on the 3DS is a problem for you while you wait for Metroid Prime 4 then that's entirely your loss. you're only robbing yourself of a good time.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Ok, here's my issue, what number does it need to make? I have no issue that it won't sell. But if they expect it to surpass Mario or Zelda, they're out of their fucking minds. What's it to be the best selling game that month making at least six digit sales and it's still not enough.

We had this before, with Seth from Capcom saying they'll localize AAI2 if someone won EVO using Phoenix Wright. Or when Square said if you wanted the 3DS Dragon Quest games, you'd better buy the Warriors spinoff on PS4. They still made Nintendo foot the bill. And this was after that whole Bravely Default thing happen.

How about instead of putting pressure on the fans, make new ones? Put up some ads on tv. If you can do it for Fire Emblem and save that franchise, why not make a TV commercial? Put it up on comedy central or CN/Nick if its ESRB is an E?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
RaikuFA said:
Ok, here's my issue, what number does it need to make? I have no issue that it won't sell. But if they expect it to surpass Mario or Zelda, they're out of their fucking minds. What's it to be the best selling game that month making at least six digit sales and it's still not enough.

We had this before, with Seth from Capcom saying they'll localize AAI2 if someone won EVO using Phoenix Wright. Or when Square said if you wanted the 3DS Dragon Quest games, you'd better buy the Warriors spinoff on PS4. They still made Nintendo foot the bill. And this was after that whole Bravely Default thing happen.

How about instead of putting pressure on the fans, make new ones? Put up some ads on tv. If you can do it for Fire Emblem and save that franchise, why not make a TV commercial? Put it up on comedy central or CN/Nick if its ESRB is an E?
Don't think their announcement was to put pressure on their fans.