Nintendo Pushes Wii Party as Way to Pick-Up Girls

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Pushes Wii Party as Way to Pick-Up Girls

A new promotional video for Wii Party depicts a strange world where Wii skills attract women above all else.

It's not surprising that Nintendo's latest Wii Party [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Party-Nintendo/dp/B003O6DZSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1286125204&sr=8-1-spell] promotion video shows teenagers having fun while playing the title's multiplayer mini-games and ignoring a rocking dance party. But what's absolutely hilarious is the side-plot of a "geek" type character that uses his Wii Party skills to take the girl of a collar-popped "preppy."

I don't know what kind of dance parties you've been to lately, but the one shown in this video has a back room where the elite break away from the fun to play the Wii. Specifically, they leave to play Wii Party, a new title from Nintendo that's similar to Wii Remote [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Play-Remote-nintendo/dp/B000KRXAGE/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286125357&sr=1-1].

The video starts off with the geek watching the girl he loves walking into the party with the preppy, who appears to have a scowl on his face 90% of the time. When the girl, geek, preppy, and Asian girl with an unexplained position in this love triangle enter the Wii room, the geek's Wii Party skills help him win over his future wife.

Between overly big laughs due to the pressing of a button on the Wii Remote, the preppy is seen getting really annoyed every time the geek does something well. And man, it makes him feel good when he can beat out the rest of the players in a mini-game, as you can tell by his chest-pounding and cries of "Who's the man?!" By the end of the video, the preppy is so annoyed by the others having fun with Wii Party that he storms off, probably to go get a weapon to fix things the only way he knows how.

I'd say the message of the promotion was subliminal in some way, but it's quite humorously obvious. I guess Nintendo is trying to say that men with Wii Party skills will beat out those with superior looks, sweaters worn over collared shirts, and pent-up anger any day.

Source: GoNintendo

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
I guess Nintendo is trying to say that men with Wii Party skills will beat out those with superior looks, sweaters worn over collared shirts, and pent-up anger any day.
Huh. Well, I have none of those things. If this truly is the case, then my chances of ever getting a girlfriendd are well & truly f*cked according to Nintendo.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Watching that hurts my brain. Please make it stop. And while you're at it, can I have a new Mario Party game instead of this?

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
That video is ridiculous and greatly misrepresents today's youth.

According to history, this can't fail.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
The geek kid barely won any of those. The preppy boy did.
What the video is showing is that if you're a jerk and are arrogant then you will eventually lose in life.

The girl and geek guy were just harmlessly flirting while playing some wii - something anybody can do at a random party.

Although I did find it amusing when the wiimote she hid on herself 'meowed' = definite sexual innuendo

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Why did I watch it.

Why..

At least its a really long ad, which looks aimed at the US, so I'm unlikely to see it on TV over here.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
That was the most gloriously stupid thing I've seen in the past four weeks.

Also, it hurts to see how far Fred has fallen since he left Scooby and the gang. He doesn't even have his ascot anymore.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I see no way how this game could be fun unless you are seven or totally drunk. And in the latter case you probably have not enough hand-eye-coordination to win.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
It might just be the ghetto town I was raised in, but the preppies aren't the ones getting the girls these days. It's the wannabe-gangstas that are getting the girls these days. Might just be here though.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I hate to admit this but the Wii does attract girls to it more than the other consoles
I mean, I've seen girls play Wii Sports and get excited about it and I was like meh

of course, I also know a few (way fewer) girls who actually wanna play CoD or Halo or whatnot so obviously those are the girls who I'll be most attracted to xD

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
What's with all the hate on "preppy" types? Just because someone is good at things and happens to look good doing it?

Girls don't just fall into bed with guys like that ya know.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Part of me died only to be reborn again as a dark spirit of revenge that will kill every single idiot guy that will try to pick up girls using Wii..or any other console on that matter. Let the thousand years of terror begin! *maniacal cackle, coughing and lightning strikes in background*

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Here is how Wii Party actually works:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-wii-party/17-3301/

This is quick look on a website called Giant Bomb. Basically it's three dudes playing the game for about twenty minutes. It's hilarious and probably the best way to really get a feel for a game.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Speaking as a 'preppy' geek, I'm a little confused here. Which role do I fill?

-Zen- said:
Also, it hurts to see how far Fred has fallen since he left Scooby and the gang. He doesn't even have his ascot anymore
Shaggy is stuck at the local Subway, eating sandwiches in a cloud of pot smoke. You probably wouldn't even recognise him any more...

Quaxar said:
I see no way how this game could be fun unless you are seven or totally drunk. And in the latter case you probably have not enough hand-eye-coordination to win.
Ever played Wii sports whilst drunk? It's hilarious! (even more so if everyone else playing is more drunk)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, and I can see where they are going and why they did it that way.

To be entirely honest though I think Nintendo might be a little more in touch than you might be giving them credit for. Not so much because of the Wii skills, but because certain video games, like Guitar Hero and the like are becoming part of that kind of a scene. They even used this (briefly) in the last season of Heroes.

Of course that doesn't change a social pecking order where these geeks probably wouldn't have been at the party to begin with, except for perhaps the girl, girls tend to get into parties unless they are totally nasty and she's not. She might not get any real attention if she's a nerd, but she might be there hoping to meet someone or whatever (going by the role).

Chances are you would have a bunch of drunken jocks who all know each other on the machines making a big joke out of the whole thing.

The marketing is obvious, but I think it bridges a middle ground between fantasy and reality to the point where it looks vaguely possible to a viewer, and sort of caters to a nerd fantasy.