Nintendo Says No To Same Sex Relationships For Tomodachi Miis

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
epicdwarf said:
Ok so from the sound of it Nintendo is in one hefty pickle. They are shipping the same game to the states, but the LGBT community is angry that there is no same-sex relation-ships. Why not just request it to be a feature in the sequel or a free update? Saying "NINDTENDO IS HOMOPHOBIC AND MUST BE PUNISHED IF THEY DON'T GIVE ME WHAT I WANT" will solve nothing. In fact, it may result in Nintendo from localizing and releasing more games in the US.
This is actually what the dude proposed. At least thats what it said in a different site. Either way, I am surprised this guys view has gathered this much attention. Its really odd to me

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
...And here I thought Mii's were asexual and genderless. So like, in all seriousness, is this just a group creating an issue out of a perceived wrong? Is there something I'm not seeing? They're clearly non human entities, I fail to see how one qualifies more as male or female, hell, mine looks like a god damned pervert who could pass off as either sex if I shaved his fu-man-chu mustache off.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I had never heard of this game until now and im now I'm even less interested in it. Well done Nintendo.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
It's 2014 and we *still* do not have total equality for gay marriage and relationships in games? It makes me sick.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Eh the sad thing is that miiquality or at least the video made by the starter looked like it was by all means a delicate touch to an sensitive issue and asked for a reasonably inclusion nicely knowing enough about the thing he was asking for that something like that most likey isn't doable by release, but a patch or in another sequel to the game. He also doesn't mention anything about bugs and tells people to NOT BOYCOTT the game.

Then the SJW's ran it over, with a truck, doing 90. I get pushing your agenda, but misinformation, disinformation, out right attacking , not even considering the other side for a moment and the lovely term " Your either with us or against us" thrown around isn't what people fighting for the "Right" side do.

Seeing what's become of this Tomodachi scandal in a matter of days that seems like it's only going to go downhill from here, for people that don't have a stake in the claim about the issues already, I wonder who they'll actual see as the bad guy? At least start getting one thing right here, there isn't suppose to be a bad guy here, that not the creators intentions and in his words he says it's not going to help anything getting angry at them directly.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Eve Charm said:
Eh the sad thing is that miiquality or at least the video made by the starter looked like it was by all means a delicate touch to an sensitive issue and asked for a reasonably inclusion nicely knowing enough about the thing he was asking for that something like that most likey isn't doable by release, but a patch or in another sequel to the game. He also doesn't mention anything about bugs and tells people to NOT BOYCOTT the game.

Then the SJW's ran it over, with a truck, doing 90. I get pushing your agenda, but misinformation, disinformation, out right attacking , not even considering the other side for a moment and the lovely term " Your either with us or against us" thrown around isn't what people fighting for the "Right" side do.

Seeing what's become of this Tomodachi scandal in a matter of days that seems like it's only going to go downhill from here, for people that don't have a stake in the claim about the issues already, I wonder who they'll actual see as the bad guy? At least start getting one thing right here, there isn't suppose to be a bad guy here, that not the creators intentions and in his words he says it's not going to help anything getting angry at them directly.
And its not like Nintendo is averse to having gay characters in their games. I'm sure Animal Crossing has been mentioned several times, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn actually had a lesbian romance subplot between two of the characters.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
While I believe it's still within their right to make the game as they see fit, as is their want to avoid making social statements, I completely agree with you. There's no legitimate reason; beyond social stigmas; to not include these options.

The problem is:
Nintendo is a company that has a philosophy of "non-offense". There entire design and marketing strategies are geared towards being as inoffensive to any give person or group as possible.

However, at times (like in this instance) their attempts to be inoffensive go so far that they end up offending one group or another; simply by their social stance of "no comment".

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
RatherDull said:
Well, that's one more company to add to the block list for homophobia.

Such a shame, I really liked Nintendo too.
Meanwhile, Birdo, a transvestite (dinosaur?) is in a committed relationship with Yoshi. I'm not sure where Nintendo's head is at.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Nintendo homophobic though. More like apathetic. They don't want to shake things up with controversy, especially when they're aiming their games at children (and their parents). After losing half a billion dollars, playing things safe is probably the most practical business move. Remaining quiet on the subject of homosexuality is not the same as condemning it, and though I fully support gay marriage, I am a little annoyed when people call something homophobic because of a lack of homosexual relationships. The same thing happened when Fire Emblem Awakening came out.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
If you want businesses to shift on this you've got to prove that your money is where your mouth is. If the market is big enough, people will cater to it.
With the climate now, all you see is negativity towards companies who aren't being as progressive as they possibly can, you don't see many 'attaboys' or 'good jobs, let's support you' for devs who get it right, and there are those who do so. I've not seen one word about how TESO got same sex relationships right in including quests where you rescue a female ship captain's wife or a guy's husband and it's just casually presented in the quest text like it's no big deal. Zenimax does this without making a production about how great and progressive they are in their PR and it is simply not mentioned at all by the people who claim they want exactly this thing in games. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy the game, even though I enjoy it, but if your only trick is going negative that's just going to turn people off.

r0seyp0m

Oct 11, 2012
"Gay marriage isn't legal in Japan"

That's funny, considering they seem to like their lesbian anime girls a ton. Way to go, Japan.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
xaszatm said:
RatherDull said:
Worgen said:
I don't think this is out of malice or anything, Nintendo just has a long tradition of not wanting to be yelled at by religious nut jobs. They didn't like any religious iconography on games released on their systems, they had midway remove the blood from Mortal Kombat 1, and they wouldn't allow Binding of Issac to be released on the ds or 3ds.
When it comes to issues of LGBTQ, if you're not with us then you're part of the problem.

The biggest issue being faced is apathy or indifference to the issue and having it be ignored.
RatherDull said:
Eve Charm said:
RatherDull said:
Fasckira said:
RatherDull said:

I wouldn't be so quick to judge them, they've got to keep in mind what the current viewpoint in their home country is as opposed to what they may feel.
Home country view is irrelevant when they're so deeply involved with Western affairs.
Well to be fair, people asked for a game that was already made, be brought over for the west, so they did. Despite the bad reporting, this was never an option in the game, and the US version is the same code as the original version. the game wasn't made with western affairs in mind.
Then it should have been in the original game.

We didn't excuse Chik-fil-a for coming from a Christian background and we shouldn't excuse Nintendo here.
Look, the "You're either with us or you're against us" mentality will not be healthy for the LGBQT community. People who are "against" us fall into two different groups: hate and ignorance. People who hate the LGBQT community are people in which the more vile tools of protest, while not encouraged always, are certainly understandable. People who are ignorant of said biases, however, must be made known about the bias. Attacking people who are ignorant are a fast way to make people hate the attacker. Knowledge and understanding is what is ultimately required for the LGBQT community to be universally accepted in the world community. By attack blindly with anyone who disagrees with you without checking to see why they disagree with you will do more bad than good in the long run.
Wow! I'm just flabbergasted. So the only options are they either "hate" you or they are "ignorant"? There is no option for "some people don't agree with us" that isn't based on hate or ignorance? You know the more I see of this debate the more it become very very clear that far too many of the supposed aggrieved parties are the ones that truly are the ignorant hate filled bigots.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
RatherDull said:

And lets ignore the fact that since this game came out in Animal Crossing: New Leaf (a game that came out after this game) has two very visible queer/transgenders characters, and in Pokemon X and Y you can run into an NPC in the Battle Maison where the trainer tells you how wonderful it is to become a Beauty ( a female only trainer) after she used to be a Black Belt ( a male only trainer) and proclaims how wonderful modern medicine is.

Yep. Definitely homophobic stuff right there.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
faefrost said:
xaszatm said:
RatherDull said:
Worgen said:
I don't think this is out of malice or anything, Nintendo just has a long tradition of not wanting to be yelled at by religious nut jobs. They didn't like any religious iconography on games released on their systems, they had midway remove the blood from Mortal Kombat 1, and they wouldn't allow Binding of Issac to be released on the ds or 3ds.
When it comes to issues of LGBTQ, if you're not with us then you're part of the problem.

The biggest issue being faced is apathy or indifference to the issue and having it be ignored.
RatherDull said:
Eve Charm said:
RatherDull said:
Fasckira said:
RatherDull said:

I wouldn't be so quick to judge them, they've got to keep in mind what the current viewpoint in their home country is as opposed to what they may feel.
Home country view is irrelevant when they're so deeply involved with Western affairs.
Well to be fair, people asked for a game that was already made, be brought over for the west, so they did. Despite the bad reporting, this was never an option in the game, and the US version is the same code as the original version. the game wasn't made with western affairs in mind.
Then it should have been in the original game.

We didn't excuse Chik-fil-a for coming from a Christian background and we shouldn't excuse Nintendo here.
Look, the "You're either with us or you're against us" mentality will not be healthy for the LGBQT community. People who are "against" us fall into two different groups: hate and ignorance. People who hate the LGBQT community are people in which the more vile tools of protest, while not encouraged always, are certainly understandable. People who are ignorant of said biases, however, must be made known about the bias. Attacking people who are ignorant are a fast way to make people hate the attacker. Knowledge and understanding is what is ultimately required for the LGBQT community to be universally accepted in the world community. By attack blindly with anyone who disagrees with you without checking to see why they disagree with you will do more bad than good in the long run.
Wow! I'm just flabbergasted. So the only options are they either "hate" you or they are "ignorant"? There is no option for "some people don't agree with us" that isn't based on hate or ignorance? You know the more I see of this debate the more it become very very clear that far too many of the supposed aggrieved parties are the ones that truly are the ignorant hate filled bigots.
OK, maybe I over-exaggerated the point I'm making still stands and ironically the one you're yelling at me for. I was trying to explain to the other person that having a "It's us against them" mentality was wrong because the world is very grey, I must have forgot to put other examples into my explanation and I apologize. This subject has been making me angry for the exact same reason as you and I tend to not think when I'm angry. I do apologize for any misunderstandings.

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
HA! Well Nintendo's damned if they do and damned if they don't on this one. I wonder what flavour they'll choose. Nintendo has been having a rather rough go of things lately, it's all rather Fockeresque.

Feb 28, 2008
I don't understand what the problem would have been in programming the game in the first place to ignore gender or sex distinctions when it came to Mii relations? This is essentially what happens with The Sims, where there is no big deal made of having same-sex relations and it is treated as yet another possible interaction between the avatars. Wouldn't it have been more of a deal to have programmed in the fact that [male/female] Mii can have relations with [opposite gender]?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
RatherDull said:
No. The "with us or against us" mentality is the problem. Not part of the problem, but the whole bloody problem.

I refuse to associate with people who think in black and white. And I don't care if they're black, white, straight, gay, or enchanted motorcycles. Such people have brought nothing but trouble into my life with their obsessive and manipulative behavior, trying to rob me of my own will, of my own choices and instead guilting me into "falling in line". Because they think they know what's good for me. Or because they don't bloody care about me as a person, only as another number to add to their ranks. Or because they just need to look down on others to feel good about themselves, the poor sods.

If you treat me as an object or a tool, then kindly go somewhere else. I'm not playing that game.

You do not own me. You do not get to tell me which side I have to pick to be "right". Hell, you don't even get to tell me to pick a side at all. Good luck with your quest for justice. Just make sure you don't cut off the nose to spite the face. That never accomplished anything.

Apr 5, 2008
RatherDull said:

Well...I don't think you over-reacted quite hard enough here. Maybe a mass protest, death threats or burning buildings down is in order?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
To be fair to Nintendo, I like to believe that initially not including same-sex relationships came from a place of ignorance - or apathy (considering the initial release was Japan only) - instead of hatred.

However, now that it has been brought to their attention through the Miiquality campaign, and they are bringing it out globally, for them to shrug this issue off as "Oh, this isn't reality, and gays aren't a thing in our quirky and whimsical world" is extremely disheartening to see.

"Your friends. Your drama. Your life. Except if you're not straight." is the message it sends out, whether Nintendo wants it to or not.