Nintendo scrap Metroid Prime 4 development

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Saelune said:
I mean, they could in the meantime port the old Prime's to Switch (since the Switch is mostly ports) so that those of us who never even finished 1 could catch up.
Seconded. Also, I remember the worst parts was holding your wii mote at the screen for a long time during boss fights. Getting rid of that friction would be wonderful

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
If they're tossing 2+ years of development to start completely from scratch, whoever was in charge must have really fucked up and I'm actually very curious about what exactly happened. I'm disappointed that there will be a delay but I'm also very happy that we dodged that bullet and that somebody good will be put in charge.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
aegix drakan said:
Saelune said:
I mean, they could in the meantime port the old Prime's to Switch (since the Switch is mostly ports) so that those of us who never even finished 1 could catch up.
I would be ALL OVER THAT. The Trilogy being on WiiU was the thing that ALMOST made me buy one.
Everytime I wonder why I've never tried Metriod Prime and then I remember "Oh, it was a Wii game. That's why".

Nintendo just had to insist on motion controls for everything and ensured I'd never purchase one, no matter how tempted I got at times.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So it's going to be like the Retro Metroid Prime games?

Pass.

Also, this is what happens when you announce games too early everyone.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
Dalisclock said:
Everytime I wonder why I've never tried Metriod Prime and then I remember "Oh, it was a Wii game. That's why".

Nintendo just had to insist on motion controls for everything and ensured I'd never purchase one, no matter how tempted I got at times.
That makes no sense. Not all motion control is bad, and Metroid Prime Trilogy has some of the best on the system.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Dalisclock said:
aegix drakan said:
Saelune said:
I would be ALL OVER THAT. The Trilogy being on WiiU was the thing that ALMOST made me buy one.

your loss.

Motion Controls are objectively the best way to play the Metroid Prime games.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
CaitSeith said:
I suppose then that the aesthetics may keep being more consistent to the Prime series than how I was anticipating.
I guess we'll have to reserve judgment until Retro has actually done something.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Shame. Metroid Prime is a series that's worth continuing alone on the merit that there's literally nothing else that plays like it. And we haven't had one since the Wii. Hope that Retro is gonna make the best off it.

Jan 27, 2011
Dalisclock said:
aegix drakan said:
Saelune said:
Uhhh...Actually it's a Gamecube game. No motion controls at all in the original version.

The trilogy just got ported to the Wii at some point.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Aiddon said:
altnameJag said:
Good.
Other M basically proved that Nintendo shouldn't be the ones to write Samus to begin with.
Uh, they wrote her for Samus Returns. Oops.
... the game where Samus doesn't speak, doesn't have a personality and the "story" is "explore a bunch of caves"? OK.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
cathou said:
Chimpzy said:
Fucking jeez, that title tho.
if it's because on the way development was written, sorry, i basically put the french form of the word, thinking it was the same in english, i corrected it.
Good correction to make. But I'd still say "Nintendo scrapped and restarted Metroid Prime 4 development" cause right now based on the wording of the title, it makes it sound like it's just been cancelled entirely.

I'm pretty happy to know that Nintendo wasn't happy with things so far, and decided that it was in the wrong hands. Best to get a better game from people who know what they're doing with Metroid, rather than ship out a total fuck up. We don't need a second Other M (And I feel like it might've been going that direction in general, using stuff that game established as a baseline instead of the superior Prime titles). Granted, Other M had some good ideas. Just a lot of bad, bad, bad ones.

Of course, nobody likes delays. But eh, better to have a good game than a bad one. I can wait

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
your loss.

Yeah, after playing shooters with motion controls it's REALLY hard to go back. Every other scheme just seems so clunky and restrictive

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
Dalisclock said:
aegix drakan said:
Saelune said:

your loss.

I just hope if they release a Remastered Trilogy on the Switch it has the option to switch between controller and motion controls.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Dalisclock said:
aegix drakan said:
Saelune said:

your loss.

I just hope if they release a Remastered Trilogy on the Switch it has the option to switch between controller and motion controls.
nah. i'd rather they spend their time making the gameplay as awesome as possible rather than giving us the option to go back to an inferior control scheme.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
aegix drakan said:
Dalisclock said:
aegix drakan said:
Saelune said:
Uhhh...Actually it's a Gamecube game. No motion controls at all in the original version.

The trilogy just got ported to the Wii at some point.
Metroid Prime 3 is a Wii game. not a Gamecube game.

and the controls of Metroid Prime 3 were so good they added them to Prime 1 & 2 in the trilogy collection.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Aiddon said:
altnameJag said:
Good.
Other M basically proved that Nintendo shouldn't be the ones to write Samus to begin with.
Uh, they wrote her for Samus Returns. Oops.
... the game where Samus doesn't speak, doesn't have a personality and the "story" is "explore a bunch of caves"? OK.
you can play trash like Other M if you prefer Samus talking if you want to.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
you can play trash like Other M if you prefer Samus talking if you want to.
Plus a story with a silent protagonist still requires writing and storyboards. And the guy who did that: Sakamoto, the same guy who wrote Other M. And is the main producer for the franchise. Then again, looking back at the Other M discourse it was very....suspicious. And problematic.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Just pointing out, Samus speaking isn't a bad idea in of itself - she did it in Super Metroid and Fusion after all.

Samus speaking in Other M is easily one of the game's least problematic issues. I'll go so far to say that story/dialogue/characterization issues in the game pale to how it controls like arse.

I wouldn't mind a Metroid game in the style of Other M if it used a much, MUCH better control scheme.