Nintendo Shares Rise 25% Following Successful Pokemon GO Launch

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Saelune said:
elvor0 said:
Saelune said:
I am so glad we have Sun and Moon coming out. If Pok?mon becomes solely a mobile game series, then all the good will Nintendo has built with me since well...birth, will be worthless.
Eh I don't really see that ever happening. Main series Pokemon shifts consoles like no tomorrow. I think Pokemon GO exists for fun, even if it is making them buttloads of cash, rather than an indication of Nintendo moving towards a mobile orientation.

OT: Probably should've seen this happening....and bought nintendo shares.
Oh, I hope you're right, but Nintendo's businessman CEO really has me worried. Iwata dies, he takes over, and suddenly Nintendo has phone games on the brain. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo was the pure gaming company, run by developers. They weren't doubling as a computer software or media company. They made games and gaming consoles.
Mobile games were brought up at an investor's meeting by Iwata himself before he passed on, this isn't a new initiative.

Kibeth41 said:
Steve the Pocket said:
It's funny how this happened because Nintendo grossly misinterpreted their fans' message. The fans said "Hey, Nintendo, why can't we play Nintendo games on our phones?" and what they meant was "Hey, Nintendo, the days of dedicated handheld gaming devices should be long gone now that my phone is just as powerful." But what Nintendo heard was "Hey, Nintendo, we like playing allegedly-free cow clickers designed to milk us for money instead of real games you just buy. You should start making those." And it seems to be working out for them so far. This has me concerned.
You're pretty wrong.

People wanted Pokemon in real life. They got it as close as possible.

Besides, I can name about 5 reasons from the top of my head why handheld consoles are far superior to mobiles in terms of gaming, and why Nintendo are unable to put a lot of their mainstream handhelds on mobile consoles.
Exactly.

The only mobile game I can think of right now that is about as close to a dedicated handheld's game is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, and it has probably the best control scheme I've come across so far for a mobile game that allows you to walk around in towns, and guess what? it's still rubbish - I make guides for FFBE and I still mess up the movement everytime I try and record gameplay.

Pokemon GO actually has an amazing control scheme, the fact that you move by actually moving in real life takes out all the shit you have to deal with with touch screen games; and the microtransactions are very tame, near useless if you live anywhere near a few pokestops.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
And people didn't like the Idea of Nintendo going mobile.

I'm legitimately curious if cell phone apps will eventually make their handheld platforms redundant. Nintendo was tailor made for mobile cell phone gaming.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Steve the Pocket said:
It's funny how this happened because Nintendo grossly misinterpreted their fans' message. The fans said "Hey, Nintendo, why can't we play Nintendo games on our phones?" and what they meant was "Hey, Nintendo, the days of dedicated handheld gaming devices should be long gone now that my phone is just as powerful." But what Nintendo heard was "Hey, Nintendo, we like playing allegedly-free cow clickers designed to milk us for money instead of real games you just buy. You should start making those." And it seems to be working out for them so far. This has me concerned.
You're pretty wrong.

People wanted Pokemon in real life. They got it as close as possible.

Besides, I can name about 5 reasons from the top of my head why handheld consoles are far superior to mobiles in terms of gaming, and why Nintendo are unable to put a lot of their mainstream handhelds on mobile consoles.
And all five of those reasons are "Apple is too stubborn to make a phone with ports for physical-control attachments".

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
And why Apple? Not everyone owns nor wants an iPhone.
Because Android phones with ports for physical controls have existed for years, as have some that have them built in. But Nintendo being Android exclusive would cut out about half their market.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
wulfy42 said:
I thought the app was free? How are they making money.

Even people who have never heard of pokemon are playing this game. I've yet to try it, but I will probably eventually install it on my ipad and try it out. I'd even get my wife involved....if there are no hidden in game purchases that she could buy (she has spent thousands of dollars on them in the past so I avoid getting her involved in anything like Candy Crush etc anymore.
Investor interest and confidence, and you can spend real money on buying shit like potions, incense, balls, etc. if you're too lazy to walk around to collect items from pokestops. Or if you simply don't have any nearby pokestops.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Have you actually played the game or are you condemning from ignorance? It's actually a neat little game that has a fair amount of problems but overall is fun for me and my friends to walk around the city playing.