Nintendo Shares Tumble Following Wii U Reveal

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Screw shareholders, bunch of parasites really. Producing nothing of value while reaping the rewards, and generally making things suck for customers, employees, and suppliers in order to maximize short term gains.

The public company system is one of the things that causes many social problems. Shareholders are willfully negligent absentee owners who take no responsibility for how their money is being spent. And they don't have to take responsibility because they are shielded from legal liability by corrupt laws.

The nice thing is Nintendo as a company doesn't seem to care about winning or losing, the care about making cool stuff. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose, but they keep trying new things.

And the touchpad controller will enhance gaming for some genres just like motion controls did for others.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Xanthious said:
This doesn't surprise me in the least. People were expecting something that would cater more to the hardcore gaming crowd and they brought out some bastardized abomination between a Wii and an iPad. This thing will ultimately be too expensive and complicated to attract any of the casual "Wii Audience" and will just be too little too late and far too many gimmicks to get all that many hardcore gamers to buy into it. Thats going to leave nobody but the die hard Nintendo crowd.

Nintendo just doesn't understand or doesn't want to admit that the hardcore audience doesn't want all the gimmicks. They could give a fuck about a 6 inch screen crowbarred into the controller. They don't want motion controls. They want a simple old school controller on a quality console that people like because it's a good console not because all the meaningless extraneous bullshit Nintendo thinks is the future of gaming.

Ultimately by trying to cater to everyone Nintendo will likely throw it's self back into the days of the Gamecube sucking hind tit behind both Sony and Microsoft.
You can throw the word gimmick around as much as you want, but pointers, gyroscopes, and touchscreens are about as far from gimmicks as you could possibly get. I may not be all too excited about the WiiU, but nobody can rightfully argue that these things haven't improved certain beloved genres and opened up possibilities for all new types of games. Can you honestly argue that your favorite game wouldn't have benefited from being able to navigate the menus with a touchscreen?

As for "hardcore gamers," (I hate that term as well- it's generally used as a substitute for "people who are too insecure to play games with color") the only thing they'll care about is the comfort of the new controller, (price goes without saying) the quality of the games, and the online functionality, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody here knows jack shit about any of these 3 things, so any bashing of the console at this point I'm personally going to boil down to bias.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
beema said:
I'm guessing the stocks fell based on the astoundingly stupid name alone.
It's like they don't realize how naming their console that opens them up to an endless stream of "Nintendo wants to Wii on U!" jokes.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
They announced a new console, with far more processing power and better tech than either the 360 or the PS3
Yep, and people will already be playing or be able to play most of the big AAA titles on the Xbox 360s and PS3s they already own. Furthermore, even if the numbers and raw power is above what the 360 and PS3 are capable of I doubt it will be large enough to get people to justify upgrading just to play the same games they are already able to play.

an interesting new controller that adds a touchscreen display to a traditional controller layout (as opposed to another waggy-stick)
And who under god's hot sun wanted this? It may have some interesting functionality but ultimately it just screams gimmick. They want to have "traditional controls" how about they throw a few analog sticks, a D-Pad and some buttons on a controller and leave well enough alone.

and a slew of highly anticipated third-party titles available at launch
These will likely have already been out for the other systems for months already why would anyone who already owns a PS3 or Xbox give two shits that some old games are coming out for Nintendo's new system. Also, as I've said a few other times what kind of third part support is it going to be? Is it going to be like the PS3/Xbox has or will it be the kind like the Wii has (I urge to you check out Madden or Call of Duty on Wii to see what I mean) where it's technically the same game but it's been changed all to hell to make use of all the extraneous gimmicks.

Nintendo have announced they intend to price it competitively against the 360 and the PS3. Which, considering its a fair bit more technologically advanced, is pretty damned impressive indeed.
Sure is, but I doubt it will be impressive enough to get people to drop another 300-400 just to play the same games they are already playing on their current console.

There aren't 'far too many gimmicks'.
Yes there are.

Nintendo are releasing a new, high-powered console with a traditional controller, which also has the potential to do lots of interesting new things if the developers choose to take advantage of it.
I've seen a lot of traditional controllers and NONE of them have a 6 inch touch screen in them. The "potential to do lots of interesting things" is a nice way of saying "Shit load of gimmicks". Honestly, how hard is it to release a system that gets by on being a good system not on extraneous bullshit that people don't want.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jumwa said:
Treblaine said:
Wait... the "gaming enthusiasts" hate this now?

Err dual analogue sticks and more graphics power is just the kind the things "we" want.

I think the reason stock is tumbling is because stock-holders are idiots who think the ONLY way Wii is successful is as a toy for the lowest common denominator. Seriously, anyone can buy stock and THINK they know why a company is successful.
If you're one of those who'd dare call themself a "gaming enthusiast" but have something to offer up to the internet other than hateful bile, than it's nice to meet you. But I've not encountered many of such an ilk.

I watch all the news with a mostly detached interest, as my gaming is done almost purely on PC, but it doesn't seem Nintendo could say or do anything that wouldn't get it a heap of vitriol from most outspoken gamers about the internet.
Well I am enthusiastic about gaming. That makes be a gaming enthusiast. And so should be the descriptor of all people enthusiastic about gaming no matter how broad or narrow. Everyone HERE is a gaming enthusiast, if they weren't enthusiastic about this they wouldn't watch E3 and they wouldn't even read this thread.

I do not like you hostile characterisation that "outspoken gamers" will just arbitrarily resort to vile vitriol. That is tabloid slander, you should not say such things. You are bitterly complaining about people about people who complain to bitterly.

You are using sweeping generalisations and stereotyping. Just because some very vocal and visible enthusiasts make an ass of them-self does not mean ALL enthusiasts are like that, that should be the most logical and apparent thing just following the definition of the word "enthusiast".

"I watch all the news with a mostly detached interest, as my gaming is done almost purely on PC"

Why are you here then? Do you care about Nintendo the company or their products? Or are you just being a judgemental voyeur to cast your aspersions on others. I see that everywhere and I don't like it, it's like all the people who watch Big Brother at the fighting and arguing. But the central issue is they are still just 10 people who - out of the 7 Billion people on this planet - are doing nothing of any interest, their petty concerns of arbitrary rationing and tasks are utterly irrelevant to the public.

But what people do like is the drama of conflict; in this case not violent conflict but verbal.

And they get off on being the superior outsider, with no stake in the issue at hand there is the Schadenfreude of seeing them bring each other to misery over nothing. So many pundits criticising every insult, every reaction, every sulk, every scheme.

It makes me sick and I see it everywhere, even in myself and must remind myself not to do it.

If you don't care about Nintendo and their hardware, why are you in this debate?

I game a lot on PC but I am still enthusiastic (to an extent) about this Wii U and very likely will get a Wii soon or maybe a Wii U depending on various factors.

But please, do not generalise individuals' very reasonable concerns as mere contrary-ism of a bitter and spoiler group

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Screw shareholders, bunch of parasites really. Producing nothing of value while reaping the rewards, and generally making things suck for customers, employees, and suppliers in order to maximize short term gains.

The public company system is one of the things that causes many social problems. Shareholders are willfully negligent absentee owners who take no responsibility for how their money is being spent. And they don't have to take responsibility because they are shielded from legal liability by corrupt laws.
Not to get too sensationalist, but I agree. At least in part and in theory.

The current shareholder system encourages a lot of bad economic practices. I've seen far too many profitable, functioning companies tank because the stock markets demand an eternally increasing profit. It's not enough for shareholders that you turn a consistent profit and make a good product that consumers enjoy, you have to be making MORE profit than you did last time.

It's that system which leads to so many companies taking big needless gambles that bankrupt them, or laying off employees to increase profit margins only to find their products/services quality declines because of it and sales suffer more. Even a temporary fluctuation in the economy ends up causing trouble in a business that was working fine, because the shareholders just wont tolerate even a momentary slipup, even if it's a global recession!

At the same time, it's a system that does help companies raise initial capital, and the alternative is likely giving banks greater control over businesses. I'm not sure that's a better solution. Perhaps employee stakes in the business? I wont presume to know the answer.

Regardless, I'd be pleased as punch to see a move towards more sustainability in business.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Once again, this just proves the need to delete the word "gimmick" from the English language.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Jumwa said:
Electrogecko said:
I think that most of the people on this site would like to think that they're a gaming enthusiast who is capable of having an intelligent and relatively unbiased conversation.
I wasn't insulting anyone's intelligence. You don't need to be dumb to just be a hyperbolic internet rager on a public forum, you just need some reservoir of anger that's unquenchable or a thirst to criticize everything because it's a safer way to avoid people "one upping" you online.
I didn't mean to offend you or accuse you of anything. I'm just saying that though the Escapist has it's fair share of ragers, (I may very well be one of them on Nintendo's behalf) most, if not all the people here consider themselves gaming enthusiasts and among them there are many that enjoy gaming for gaming's sake and don't want to be part of any forum drama. I think the Escapist far surpasses most sites in terms of etiquette and people willing to try to get passed their personal biases.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Jumwa said:
I watch all the news with a mostly detached interest, as my gaming is done almost purely on PC, but it doesn't seem Nintendo could say or do anything that wouldn't get it a heap of vitriol from most outspoken gamers about the internet.
You're close, but not quite there. Let me just make an edit or two... Ah, here we go:

"It doesn't seem [ANY COMPANY] could say or do anything that wouldn't get it a heap of vitriol from most [PEOPLE] [on] the internet."

If you think this is ONLY poor poor Nintendo getting a fist to the face from the internet, you need to venture online more. The internet is a hateful place, my friend. Blacker than my shower drain after I roll around in pig vomit and petroleum all day long.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Treblaine said:
Well I am enthusiastic about gaming. That makes be a gaming enthusiast. And so should be the descriptor of all people enthusiastic about gaming no matter how broad or narrow. Everyone HERE is a gaming enthusiast, if they weren't enthusiastic about this they wouldn't watch E3 and they wouldn't even read this thread.

I do not like you hostile characterisation that "outspoken gamers" will just arbitrarily resort to vile vitriol. That is tabloid slander, you should not say such things. You are bitterly complaining about people about people who complain to bitterly.

You are using sweeping generalisations and stereotyping. Just because some very vocal and visible enthusiasts make an ass of them-self does not mean ALL enthusiasts are like that, that should be the most logical and apparent thing just following the definition of the word "enthusiast".

"I watch all the news with a mostly detached interest, as my gaming is done almost purely on PC"

Why are you here then? Do you care about Nintendo the company or their products? Or are you just being a judgemental voyeur to cast your aspersions on others. I see that everywhere and I don't like it, it's like all the people who watch Big Brother at the fighting and arguing. But the central issue is they are still just 10 people who - out of the 7 Billion people on this planet - are doing nothing of any interest, their petty concerns of arbitrary rationing and tasks are utterly irrelevant to the public.

But what people do like is the drama of conflict; in this case not violent conflict but verbal.

And they get off on being the superior outsider, with no stake in the issue at hand there is the Schadenfreude of seeing them bring each other to misery over nothing. So many pundits criticising every insult, every reaction, every sulk, every scheme.

It makes me sick and I see it everywhere, even in myself and must remind myself not to do it.

If you don't care about Nintendo and their hardware, why are you in this debate?

I game a lot on PC but I am still enthusiastic (to an extent) about this Wii U and very likely will get a Wii soon or maybe a Wii U depending on various factors.

But please, do not generalise individuals' very reasonable concerns as mere contrary-ism of a bitter and spoiler group
This is so silly. Really? You want to try and take the discussion to this place?

I didn't generalize. Nowhere did I say that all gaming enthusiasts behaved so. In fact, I enjoy posting on multiple gaming forums where it's not the norm to get upset about any news. However, I have noticed on the Escapist that it is a trend here to just rage about every bit of news on Nintendo in particular, and on gaming at large.

Secondly, I said I have a detached interest, as you conveniently quoted. I didn't say I had no interest in the topic. Nintendo's new console was the one thing I was most interested to hear about at this years E3. Despite having no real intention to buy it (I couldn't make a judgement on that regardless until it was closer to launch and I knew more) I was just fascinated to know what they would unveil.

Even as a mostly former-console player, it just intrigues me to see the new and interesting things from Nintendo if for no other reason than it's different and makes me think.

Ciaran Lunt

Mar 25, 2010
so the most potential I have ever seen in a product EVER is going to fail for the same reason everything fails capitalism :-(
if thats how the stocks reacted think what 3rd parties will do

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Once again, this just proves the need to delete the word "gimmick" from the English language.
I agree. Now here is the REAL question. What ARE we, as consumers, to get from the new console? Now if I remember correctly Sony and Microsoft are trying to be this huge multi-media machine while Nintendo, since the beginning, have been focusing on just being a video game console. If, and that is a really big "IF", Nintendo can bring out 3rd party support and an online connection that can rival Sony and Microsofts connection, well than we now have a console that does the one thing that many of us "video game enthusiasts" want...a console just to play video games on. That is what I (Me, myself speaking) want. I want to put in a video game into my console and play a video game. If I want anything else, I already have a computer in the house.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
For fuck sake, a gimmick is a novelty with no real-world value or application! Are you so blind that you've completely missed what the DS brought to gaming?!? Touchscreens stopped being a gimmick the minute the iPhone became the most popular gaming system in the world! There have been more DS's and more iPhones sold than 360s and Ps3s combined. From where I'm sitting, that makes touchscreens the gaming norm now, and standard controllers are the gimmicks!

Seriously, the whole "touchscreens are a novelty" argument was out of date five years ago! The fact that Nintendo included traditional buttons as well to try and please luddites like you, and yet people are still bitching, shows just how spoiled and ungrateful gamers by and large have become.
And why Nintendo has every right to say "fuck you, you spoiled, hypocritical, hyperbolic BRATS". But then again, Nintendo seems to feed off faux-hardcore gamer rage. The more they whine the stronger Nintendo becomes. And ya know what I say? Good.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The Wii was a terrible console in my opinion. It offered the glorious prospect of motion controls and delivered a waggle stick I could use to play EVERY game from the sitting position. It offers me nothing in terms of the quality product I had grown to expect from Nintendo up to that point. The WiiU sounds like the abominable successor to the Wii's legacy. I never bought a Wii and I will never buy this unholy pile of every bit of technology Nintendo's ever shoved out its door.

Angry Nintendo fanboy since 2006, looks like that tour of duty gets to continue.

nadesico33

It's tragically delicious!
Mar 10, 2010
Even if the general processing power is simply onpar with the PS3 and XB360, they will be doing it on new generation hardware as opposed to 5-6 year old hardware. That means everything from smaller chipset size, to more efficient chipset design (IE, less power, less heat, so no/less chance of RRODs), and more a realistic ability to output HD visuals without, or less use of, hardware upscaling or performance hinderance.

While Nintendo is doing the Apple move and not talking specs (look at everything about iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, no specs talk, just "this is what it can do, and why its better than the last one"), IBM has already come out and stated that the CPU is based off the variant of the Power Architecture used in Watson. No one has stated anything about the GPU lineage yet, but the floor reports have already been speculating as the controller screen apparently has a relatively high resolution, and the system is able to run gameplay on both at the same time. This would require a pretty beefy modern GPU to do double output especially, with one of those being wireless.

While I also think the name is terrible, the capabilities and possibilities leave me quietly, cautiously optimistic.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Why were people expecting to see the Wii 2? It just got announced that they were going to have one, and it isn't planned for this year. People are idiots.

Anggul

Jun 10, 2009
It's going to be more powerful and capable of running any games, which means third-party developers will be more likely to make 'proper' games for it,along with the inevitable Nintendo titles like Zelda and hopefully Metroid.

This looks like a massive step forward from the Wii, I don't see why anyone would see anything bad in it.