Nintendo Shoots Down Online Play for StarFox 64 3D

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
The title might as well say "Nintendo Shoots Down Half the Fun for Star Fox 64 3D".

Nintendo's great and all, but they REALLY need to get their online model a little more modern. No one has friends anymore, we just want to play against faceless folks online, safe from any sort of social backlash!

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Developer: Nintendo, Nintendo, come in!
Nintendo: Nintendo here. What's the situation?
Developer: We've got a online multiplayer on interception!
Nintendo: Do a barrel roll!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
HankMan said:
What's the point of StarFox 64 (in 3-D) if no one else can see it when you... wait for it
do a barrel role?
"Roll" possibly, or is there a hidden mode in Starfox where you take on the role of a barrel for a mission? :p

Joking aside, I think this is stupid though. I just naturally assumed that on a device boasting 3d and online features as its strongest aspects that one of the flagship titles would... well, have 3d and online features. As I dont give a flip about 3d, Starfox 3DS will be a let down for me.

It would have been nice if they had perhaps at least included the original Starwing as well, I remember playing that for hours when it came out (possibly a lot more than I played Starfox).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
If they could just make a game containing the multiplayer from Starfox Assault with online capabilities I would buy that for sure. I loved the multiplayer in that game. I loved the whole game for that matter. Not sure if I will buy this however. I already got it on virtual console...

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
still accurate

just replace wii with 3ds[/QUOTE]I lol'd.

No idea why they aren't letting Starfox play online multiplayer since that would be really fun, and the only time I would actually play multiplayer...
I really hope Nintendo's next gen system has a really badass multiplayer system, because that is it's biggest shortcoming.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Kid Icarus: Uprising is the only reason I bought a 3DS.

But I'm thinking Nintendo missed a golden opportunity with this decision.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I spy an error within the article on-foot fighting was added in assault and was not an option in 64

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
chickenhound said:
I spy an error within the article on-foot fighting was added in assault and was not an option in 64
It was, in multiplayer. Shooting down an Arwing on foot was a great moment.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, if we need the gyroscope to assist in maneuverability, how do we do a barrel roll? Quickly toss the 3DS in a circle and catch it again?

Tom Goldman said:
chickenhound said:
It was, in multiplayer. Shooting down an Arwing on foot was a great moment.
I remember doing that. Great fun. Although sneaking a B-bomb onto a tank from behind was a little bit more fun.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Wow Nintendo really don't have a clue about anything these days do they?

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Look, ports are not a bad thing. But lets be honest with ourselves that there are good ports and bad ports. Super Street fighter 4 was a great port. they took time and adapted it for the system that it was only like any one should, they added multiplayer as well as the 3D graphics and even went so far as to better use the 3DS interface for game play.

Nintendo is very content to recycle its crap and send it as is. If this was there first or second offense we might let it slide, But they do it EVERY time for every system they gave. they NEVER put in any effort, this is insulting to the loyal fans of their respected games. if they are going to go down this road, place it in the Eshop. This way you can impress those with the 3d and slightly better textures but save people money cause you did not spend allot to release it.

Then use that money to make a proper FRESH starfox game, lords know we REALLY need one. Starfox command came close but it hardly followed up the 64 remake of the super Nintendo. Lets EXPAND starfox, surely there are epic battles to fight? New challenges without doing the stupid crap in his spin off games.

What with the reduced features on the 3DS, terrible eshop support reported so far and a lackluster line up it's becoming pretty hard for the core players to stand behind this system. It has potential, but it MUST be used.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Ninten-DON'T understand the importance of online play. Forget 3D and motion controls. The most important innovation in games, to me, is online multiplayer. I love to join a party of over 8 and play in a sandbox (e.g. GTA IV and Minecraft), and who can ignore Call of Duty's multiplayer?

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
And the 3DS continues in its spot on my list of items I will not be buying any time soon...

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I'm still not sure about this anyways. I was kinda hoping they'd give me an excuse to not go on ebay and get Lylat Wars for about £3 with this. But it doesn't look like it aside from updated graphics.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
mjc0961 said:
]Yes there is. For all these lame re-releases we're getting, that time and effort could have gone into making something brand new. We could have had a brand new Zelda, a brand new Starfox, and so on. Instead we're getting a big pile of "been there, done that." Sure, it's kinda nice for people who for some reason skipped on the VC releases and those who are far too obsessed with graphics than anyone should be, but for the rest of us, it's just a waste of time.
Do we really want a new Starfox, especially after Rareware's abortions? Or do we want to have a game from the series when it was actually rail shooter starfox, not generic adventure clone number 3 starfox.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Well...this is seriously disappointing....and surprising. I haven't played SF64 in a while let alone multiplayer for the game so idk how well it would hold up today....I was half expecting a fully revamped multiplayer mode. Starfox Command for the DS had wifi dogfights so this is all the more dumbfounding.