Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
People point to the N64 and GameCube failing as reasons Nintendo shouldn't make a powerful console, when power had nothing to do with why those consoles failed. The N64 and GameCube failed because Nintendo made stupid decisions with those consoles, like sticking to cartridges and using mini-discs.

Nintendo didn't HAVE to make a console/handheld hybrid. All they had to do was make a console on par with the PS5 and Series X in power, not make a stupid decision with the hardware like they did with the N64 and GameCube, and make it easy to develop for, and that console would get third party support, which means more sales. It's actually really simple to make a console that sells well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Almost no one, but you and a few minor others actually care. I actually don't care that they're making the most powerful console the mankind, because they prefer making actual video games. I'll take a company that still cares about making games. Not making movies and trying to be "cinematic masterpieces". At least Nintendo bothers to remember that they're still a gaming company.

Most families don't care about about Nintendo's console being most powerful. Most kids don't care. Most teenagers definitely don't care and only would care for the shallowest reasons. The same applies to some kids too, but not the super young ones. Just freaking stop. Nearly no one on the thread freaking cares. And don't bother responding, cuz I will not say anything back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvis Starburst

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If power doesn't matter, then why bother making new consoles at all? Why don't we all just keep playing on the NES?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The Switch is like the 5th best selling console ever and still selling as it is current gen. The Wii is the 7th. I would hardly call them failures.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There is a very simple explanation, Nintendo doesn't like so sell consoles at a loss. Power costs money, so they will do their own thing and be successful at it, your input is not needed.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Every since the NDS and Wii, Nintendo has shifted away from directly competing with Sony and Microsoft, and instead adopted a strategy of differentiation. For the most part, this has worked out for them. The DS and Wii were very successful. 3DS less so, but still nothing to scoff at. Wii U is the sole exception. And of course Switch has proven a big hit, earning a 5th place of best selling systems ever, but notably still has a few years of life in it, so will probably end up 3rd in the end.

Nintendo will not make a powerful console unless doing so would make them stand out from the competition. The only way I can see that happen is if both Sony and MS give them reason to, and as things stand, neither has or will do so.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Every since the NDS and Wii, Nintendo has shifted away from directly competing with Sony and Microsoft, and instead adopted a strategy of differentiation. For the most part, this has worked out for them. The DS and Wii were very successful. 3DS less so, but still nothing to scoff at. Wii U is the sole exception. And of course Switch has proven a big hit, earning a 5th place of best selling systems ever, but notably still has a few years of life in it, so will probably end up 3rd in the end.

Nintendo will not make a powerful console unless doing so would make them stand out from the competition. The only way I can see that happen is if both Sony and MS give them reason to, and as things stand, neither has or will do so.
Bingo. Nintendo doesn't want to directly compete with Sony and MS, but be an answer to them.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Well personally while Nintendo does make stupid I am glad they are not focused on pure power. It brings balance and dilutes the big markets need to go "look at the various details on this tree bark and leaf" and "8000k resoultion that can make you fall into the tv."

Nintendo can keep being the "low tech" alternative as despite not reaching the same sales its not like those console were abject failures.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't understand why Nintendo can't just make a powerful console like Sony and Microsoft with no stupid hardware decisions.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I don't understand why Nintendo can't just make a powerful console like Sony and Microsoft with no stupid hardware decisions.
They want to and don't have to.

Like think about it even if say the Sony fan or Microsoft fan had the home console at home think about how many of those people still owned a gameboy.

While is competition were all focused on power Nintendo did the smart thing and filled the areas their competitors were ignoring.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Why compete directly when you can find other niches in the market that are underserved, if not ignored entirely?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Four words: Red Ring of Death. You are kidding yourself if you think that Microsoft and Sony don't make stupid hardware decisions.
Not to the extent of Nintendo. The N64 and Gamecube would have done MUCH better if they used CDs.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm not sure Sony is Sony anymore. By that I mean, at some point, Microsoft may really turn on them. In some ways, they are an underdog now. Sony is a good sized company, twice the size of Nintendo. Microsoft is monster. They can sell at a loss and make up the money elsewhere. They can buy up the best developers on a whim. I think Nintendo rightly realizes they would get squished going head to head with these guys.

So they make consoles that display well what they are supposed to display.

BTW: I like my Wii U just fine.