Nintendo Still Atop The Charts

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
s69-5 said:
AceDiamond said:
Pendragon9 said:
I'm frankly still surprised the Ps2 is still selling. We all knew the Wii would find a market, but nobody expected the PS2 to continue dominating the market. It's more casual than the Wii. xD
Has more shovelware too

But I joke because I love my PS2...if I could still find it that is.

Anyway this is again unsurprising and I have to ask why people are still surprised by this. Yes Sony had a good thing going with the PS1 and the PS2, doing many of the things that people now berate Nintendo for doing (i.e. trying to make gaming more mainstream) and unfortunately the PS3 was their decision to try and go for broke and dominate the tiny HD market.

So it's only natural that the original industry leader would make a comeback eventually, that's the nature of competition.
Something else I had noticed coming into this gen. No company has dominated for more than two consecutive Gens. (Nintendo [NES & SNES], Sony [PS1 & PS2]). I guess that remains correct, with Nintendo having pulled into that position once again.

Though the original industry leader would probably be Atari (maybe Magnavox?)
Good point I did neglect to mention Atari, and Sega really can't become an industry leader again since they no longer make consoles.

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
Its not that the Mario games are bad, its just they're, well, samey. But why fix something that works? That's why games like Mario Party 24390 will sell more than something like No More Heroes, the latter of which brings some actual action to the Wii.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Treblaine said:
I'd also wonder how much of an uneven playing field this is:
-Wii games are sold at a lower price, especially around the world (£29 in uk = $45) while 360/PS3 games seem to be getting more expensive (now usually £45 = $72). Wii may sell more but may not be earning as much revenue.
You also need to figure in the significantly lower development costs for the Wii, which could easily help cope with the lower prices.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Kwil said:
PhiMed said:
jamesworkshop said:
Wow 3 years running and nintendo is still kicking ass and taking names still don't understand how many people think Wii owners don't buy games when over half of the top ten best sellers are Wii exclusive titles
Because their connection rate (games sold/consoles sold) is MUCH lower than microsoft and sony's. Put another way, if Wii owners bought as many games as their microsoft and sony counterparts, there wouldn't be any ps3 or 360 games on the list.
Care to back that up with some actual stats.. anywhere?

Last time I looked, Wii attach rate (games sold/consoles sold) was beating the PS3. Xbox360 was still in the lead, but it's had an extra year for people who bought the consoles to increase their collections.
Stats, huh? Well, I guess it depends... on whether by "many people" the OP meant people impotently raging on forums (you and me) or if by "many people" he meant executives of development firms (people we should actually care about).

I guess if you're using attachment rate to try to decide which console to buy, total attach rate might mean something. My guess, though, is that the "many people" this guy is talking about are the several executives (including, most recently, the CEO of Ubisoft) who have said they're considering stopping making titles for the Wii because nobody buys games for it.

Nintendo's first party attachment rate is awesome... and that's not surprising. Nintendo owns some of the best-selling franchises of all time. But no one's trying to convince Nintendo to make a game for their own console. I'm relatively sure they're already sold on that idea.

The wretched sales of third-party titles on Nintendo's past two consoles have forced developers to look at third-party attach rate, because that's going to give them a better idea of what kind of potential sales they're looking at with a particular exposure. Wii is WAY behind in this category.

3RD PARTY ATTACH RATES

Wii 3.1
PS3 4.4 (about 140% of the Wii's)
360 5.2 (about 170% of the Wii's)

You also have to keep in mind that any attach rate reported for the 360 is artificially deflated because many people who've suffered hardware failure own multiple consoles. Also, these numbers were collected prior to the release of Modern Warfare 2, which probably adds somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.5 to the attach rates for the PS3 and 360 (and 0 to the Wii).

So, how do those numbers strike you?

Here's the article, Mr. Argumentative. It's at gamasutra, which is, indeed, somehwere.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20988

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
Treblaine said:
-Wii games are sold at a lower price, especially around the world (£29 in uk = $45) while 360/PS3 games seem to be getting more expensive (now usually £45 = $72). Wii may sell more but may not be earning as much revenue.
You also need to figure in the significantly lower development costs for the Wii, which could easily help cope with the lower prices.
True, but you also have to take into account the fact that Sony and Microsoft's development costs for most of their sales are zero. Most of their games are third-party titles, which are almost pure profit for the console company. Most of Nintendo's are first-party, which they actually have to spend time and money producing.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
PhiMed said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Treblaine said:
True, but you also have to take into account the fact that Sony and Microsoft's development costs for most of their sales are zero. Most of their games are third-party titles, which are almost pure profit for the console company. Most of Nintendo's are first-party, which they actually have to spend time and money producing.
If the games are third party, wouldn't that mean that the console manufacturer recieves little to no revenue? I mean, the game is made by someone else entirely, so that would seem to make sense.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
PhiMed said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Treblaine said:
If the games are third party, wouldn't that mean that the console manufacturer recieves little to no revenue? I mean, the game is made by someone else entirely, so that would seem to make sense.
They receive substantial revenue for licensing. Sometimes they are able to negotiate a cut of the sales, as well, depending on the development firm. It's a business model that often guarantees revenue with virtually no risk. It's a pretty good model, and it's how Sony's PS2 dominated the market last gen.

You didn't think they let them release those games for their consoles for free, did you?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
PhiMed said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Treblaine said:
Every console game has a certain % cut to the console manufacturer. That's why console games are often priced higher than their PC counterparts: There's no such cut attached to the PC sales.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
PhiMed said:
DrDeath3191 said:
PhiMed said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Treblaine said:
They receive substantial revenue for licensing. Sometimes they are able to negotiate a cut of the sales, as well, depending on the development firm. It's a business model that often guarantees revenue with virtually no risk. It's a pretty good model, and it's how Sony's PS2 dominated the market last gen.

You didn't think they let them release those games for their consoles for free, did you?
Okay then, now I know.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
PhiMed said:
DrDeath3191 said:
PhiMed said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Treblaine said:

Okay then, now I know.
... And knowing is half the battle.

http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/101/670/317/PeKLaLRiIkze4SL.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.