Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hawki said:
Zero is offputting in another sense that it's yet another damn reboot for the series.
Same deal with the "new" Metroid game really, just another remake/rehash/remaster of an old game.
I'm more cordial to the existence of Samus Returns than Zero. Key differences exist in that:

-Samus Returns is the first remake of a game, Zero is the second.

-Zero rebooted an entire series, making it the second reboot the series has had. Metroid has managed to keep one single storyline that's more or less congruent.

-General consensus was that Return of Samus hadn't aged well, so it's understandable why it would have a remake. In contrast, I'd argue that Star Fox 64 has aged relatively well, and had already got a graphical overhaul on the 3DS anyway.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hawki said:
Zero is offputting in another sense that it's yet another damn reboot for the series.
Same deal with the "new" Metroid game really, just another remake/rehash/remaster of an old game.
i don't see you having any issues with Sony constantly shoveling out all their rehashes of things like Crash Bandicoot, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us and now Medievil as well....

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
Gee, imagine that, people not liking motion controls. Can't imagine why...
Splatoon and Metroid Prime 3 are Perfect examples of good motion controls.

the only bad motion controls in Star Fox Zero were the Landmaster levels. otherwise i didn't have any issue with them whatsoever. most people are just bitching without even trying them

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hawki said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hawki said:
I'm more cordial to the existence of Samus Returns than Zero. Key differences exist in that:

-Samus Returns is the first remake of a game, Zero is the second.

-Zero rebooted an entire series, making it the second reboot the series has had. Metroid has managed to keep one single storyline that's more or less congruent.

-General consensus was that Return of Samus hadn't aged well, so it's understandable why it would have a remake. In contrast, I'd argue that Star Fox 64 has aged relatively well, and had already got a graphical overhaul on the 3DS anyway.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing or even a step back, but I can't count it as a "new" Metroid. I played the original 1991 game to death and I can tell this barely counts as an HD facelift. As far as I'm concerned the last Metroid game still is Other M, which I guess scared Nintendo from doing a sequel or even a new entry for... 8 years now.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I honestly don't understand why you get your knickers so much in a twist or get such a rager bout Nintendo. Like no one was really that hard on it. I at most mocked how bored the translator was on their reveal and criticized their their third party line up and possibilities being a portable system and that's bout it and i only said one of those here. Most things I seen been long those lines.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Commanderfantasy said:
kenu12345 said:
I honestly don't understand why you get your knickers so much in a twist or get such a rager bout Nintendo. Like no one was really that hard on it. I at most mocked how bored the translator was on their reveal and criticized their their third party line up and possibilities being a portable system and that's bout here and i only said one of those here. Most things I seen been long those lines.
That would be my big question as well. I don't understand the quick to anger responses out of him when anyone dogs Nintendo in any way. I'm thinking some kind of autism. Or a disproportionate response trigger in the medula-oblongata.
Because they're dumping on something he likes and it's a perfectly normal response to counter. Furthermore, the logic used to dump on Nintendo is either A) Cripplingly flawed B) uses obsolete data or C) trying to project their opinion as the universal consensus. I don't know what it is, but for some reason Nintendo being praised just bugs some people and quite frankly those people need to find new problems to be concerned about.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm not saying it's a bad thing or even a step back, but I can't count it as a "new" Metroid. I played the original 1991 game to death and I can tell this barely counts as an HD facelift.
Not played either, but, really? Considering Samus Returns has swivel aiming, the counter system, extra bosses, and the Aion system, isn't that more than just a prettier re-release.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm not saying it's a bad thing or even a step back, but I can't count it as a "new" Metroid. I played the original 1991 game to death and I can tell this barely counts as an HD facelift.
Not played either, but, really? Considering Samus Returns has swivel aiming, the counter system, extra bosses, and the Aion system, isn't that more than just a prettier re-release.
don't forget newly added story cutscenes.

which isn't much granted but it's still more than simply just making it prettier like Sony did with Last of Us.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
which isn't much granted but it's still more than simply just making it prettier like Sony did with Last of Us.
I don't think it really fair to compare the two.

Samus Returns is a full-on remake of Metroid 2. It follows the basic outline, but aside from that very little remains of the original. There's probably not a single asset or line of code left. It plays and feels considerably different too. It's essentially an entirely new game built on the same concept. I think a better comparison would be to something like Black Mesa (Half-Life) or maybe Doom '16 (OG Doom, obviously).

The Last of Us Remastered is only an updated re-release. 90+% the same game, but with some upgraded models/textures and maybe some extra features . It bears more similarity to Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD than to Samus Returns.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:
i think it's totally fair.

if he's going to shit on Nintendo for "rehashing" old games, then it's only fair that his Beloved Sony should also be criticized for putting out the Rehashstation 4. you never hear him moaning about Crash, or Medievil etc being Remastered.

Nintendo, not just remasters but remakes an entire 26 year old game boy game though? how bloody dare they!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:

if he's going to shit on Nintendo for "rehashing" old games, then it's only fair that his Beloved Sony should also be criticized for putting out the Rehashstation 4. you never hear him moaning about Crash, or Medievil etc being Remastered.

Nintendo, not just remasters but remakes an entire 26 year old game boy game though? how bloody dare they!!!!!!!!!!
LMAO, the logic on display.

Someone wanting a NEW Metroid game when it's been 8 years since the last one is completely different than getting a 1-year old game released on a new platform.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:

LMAO, the logic on display.

Someone wanting a NEW Metroid game when it's been 8 years since the last one is completely different than getting a 1-year old game released on a new platform.
LMAO! That's still less time than it's been since we've had a new Medievil Game. Medievil 2 came out in 2000 and Medievil on the Rehashstation 4 is the SECOND time they've decided to rehash the first Medievil.

How bout give us a new game instead Sony?

And Nintendo already told him he's getting a new Metroid Prime game. Metroid Prime 4 is confirmed to be in development for the Switch, which is a HELL of a lot more than Sony can say for Medievil or Crash Bandicoot.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Y'know, I could swear we've been here before...

There's a world of difference between Samus Returns and Last of Us. Samus Returns is a full-fledged remake, where you rebuild a game from the ground up. It's to Return of Samus what Resident Evil REmake is to the original Resident Evil game. The Last of Us is more of a re-release. It's the equivalent of a book getting another print run, only while the book gets a more snazzy cover, the game gets a graphical improvement. You can technically re-release a game in its original graphical state (e.g. Return of Samus on the e-shop), but I'd hardly call a slight graphical improvement a "remake" in the same vein.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
And Nintendo already told him he's getting a new Metroid Prime game. Metroid Prime 4 is confirmed to be in development for the Switch, which is a HELL of a lot more than Sony can say for Medievil or Crash Bandicoot.
Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to release a Metroid for the WiiU...

Sony doesn't own the rights to Crash Bandicoot...

Since when is Medievil one of Sony's big 3 franchises like Metroid is for Nintendo...?

Plus, Sony lets franchises end without milking them forever...

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
Since when is Medievil one of Sony's big 3 franchises like Metroid is for Nintendo...?
Medievil was a popular PS1 franchise back in the 90's. why does it need to be one of the biggest Sony franchise's? it's still a rehash they're putting out on the PS4.

also FYI, as much as i love Metroid, sales wise it's nowhere as big as other franchise's like Pokemon, Splatoon and Animal Crossing.

Phoenixmgs said:
Yeah that's Clearly why we saw the Last of them....oh wait

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Phoenixmgs said:
I have to question at this point if Metroid can be considered a "big three" franchise for Nintendo. Mario, Zelda, sure. But there's Nintendo IPs that have definately eclipsed Metroid in popularity and sales at this point (Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc.)

Phoenixmgs said:
-Advance Wars
-F-Zero
-Golden Sun
-Mother
-StarTropics

Nintendo doesn't exactly lack IPs that have ended, for better or worse (those are just ones off the top of my head).

That said, I wouldn't attribute this to artistic integrity for either Sony or Nintendo. An IP will generally get made until it's not longer profitable to do so. Sure, from what I understand Mother ended pretty well, but when the last Golden Sun game ended on a cliffhanger 8 years ago...yeah.

Yoshi178 said:
Medievil was a popular PS1 franchise back in the 90's.
Say what?

I played MediEvil back in the day, but when was it popular? It had two games plus one remake, and I've never heard anyone discuss it until...well, these threads.

Yoshi178 said:
also FYI, as much as i love Metroid, sales wise it's nowhere as big as other franchise's like Pokemon, Splatoon and Animal Crossing.
Splatoon?

Animal Farm, maybe, but Splatoon? A franchise with two games? Yeah...no. I "like," rather than "love" Metroid, but I don't think anyone could argue that Splatoon is a larger franchise than it.

Yoshi178 said:

I think a series needs a bit more than one sequel to enter "milking" territory. If that counts, then by definition, Splatoon is also being "milked."

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
Splatoon?

Animal Farm, maybe, but Splatoon? A franchise with two games? Yeah...no. I "like," rather than "love" Metroid, but I don't think anyone could argue that Splatoon is a larger franchise than it.
both Splatoon 1 and Spla2oon have sold more than any metroid game has. the Highest selling Metroid game of all time was Metroid Prime with 2.82 million sales. Splatoon 2 has sold 2.85 million copies so far and the original Splatoon sold 4.65 million copies.....sooooo yeah i would definitely call Splatoon a larger franchise than Metroid. Metroid has just been around longer.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Aiddon said:
Commanderfantasy said:
kenu12345 said:
I honestly don't understand why you get your knickers so much in a twist or get such a rager bout Nintendo. Like no one was really that hard on it. I at most mocked how bored the translator was on their reveal and criticized their their third party line up and possibilities being a portable system and that's bout here and i only said one of those here. Most things I seen been long those lines.
That would be my big question as well. I don't understand the quick to anger responses out of him when anyone dogs Nintendo in any way. I'm thinking some kind of autism. Or a disproportionate response trigger in the medula-oblongata.
Because they're dumping on something he likes and it's a perfectly normal response to counter. Furthermore, the logic used to dump on Nintendo is either A) Cripplingly flawed B) uses obsolete data or C) trying to project their opinion as the universal consensus. I don't know what it is, but for some reason Nintendo being praised just bugs some people and quite frankly those people need to find new problems to be concerned about.
It's cherry picked information, with the full picture or context being left out. It's the same thing people use to praise Apple products.

Nintendo has been the least popular home console since Super NES. Meaning they've lost the home market share the moment Sony and Microsoft stepped in to compete with them. The ONLY market they remained top dog was the Handheld market. The reason for this is because the Handheld market is the only market that their first party games can support them for a prolonged period of time. Nintendo has a history of treating 3rd party developers poorly and souring the relationship by making it harder for 3rd party devs to get their games on the Nintendo system.

I think the Wii U and even the Wii was a huge eye opener for Nintendo and they seem to have realized that they cannot live on a constant flow of Mario games. Because when you look at the Wii or the Wii U, the systems really sustained themselves (barely) on a trickle of Mario titles, from the Galaxy's to the "NEW" series. But there was a great lack of anything else on the system. And the attachment rates on those systems shows it.

The Switch may very well end up being a great console. But it cannot rely on Nintendo properties alone. NO console can survive on 1st party titles. It's the combination of 1st and 3rd party support that truly makes a system stand out. The current market is showing that PLaystation 4 is killing it in every aspect. Sony not only has great 1st party titles, but it gets all the 3rd party releases AND has a fucking VR option. When you way the pros and cons of the three major systems on the market, playstation 4 is the obvious choice, because it has the most diverse line-up of gameplay options.

The Switch has (already) 2 Mario and 1 Zelda right now. These three games are fantastic, but they are short lived for most people. Into 2018 what do people have to look forward to on the Switch? Bayonetta, another 1st party series now? Sure Yoshi will say pokemon, fire emblem, metroid prime, etc. But NONE of those titles are confirmed for 2018 and surely aren't coming in the next couple of months. Which means what is there really for 2018? Is the current Switch line-up supposed to last another 6 months, until new shit comes out towards the end of the summer (MAYBE)?

Look I have a Switch, I got it at launch. I played Zelda. Played Mario+rabids. And most recently I played Mario Odyssey. Then I haven't touched my Switch in two months now, and looking at the next few months of release dates....I have no reason to pick my Switch up against until at least the end of Feburary and that's only IF I want to REPLAY the bayonetta games.

And a note to Yoshi. I'm not vouching for Sony and saying the when they rerelease games like Last of Us, or Shadow of the Collosus, that is okay to do when it isn't okay for Nintendo. But those Sony remasters are coming WITH a huge string of other original titles. If you pretend that PC gaming does exsist, which for console players is usually the case statistically, then Sony released more exclusive titles in 2017, than total non-arcade games in the Switches entire library.

Now you could make the argument that Sony was already established in 2017 and it was barely the Switches launch year. Okay. But even if you compare Launch titles between them the PS4 had 24 titles and the Switch had 13. So no matter how you look at it, you can see how Nintendo is lacking and falling behind the rest of the industry.

To Nintendo's credit, they are in fact making changes and it does look like things will improve in terms of game support for the Switch. But until we start seeing real 3rd party games, launching in the same release window as all other platforms, then I do not think Nintendo's Switch will have lasting power. It's selling because of novelty and because of Zelda and Mario, but there isn't going to be a Zelda and Mario game this year, and possibly not even the next. So we have to see what the next stir the Switch can come up with.

Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:

You clearly do not understand what "milking" a franchise means. I mean you could have at LEAST put Uncharted the Lost Legacy there. By linking a game that is literally getting it's 2nd game FIVE YEARS after the first game, it is simply clear that you don't know what you are talking about and are simply grasping at straws in order to prove a point that doesn't even make sense in the first place.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It's a good console.
No shitty gimmicks apart from the gyroscope which can be helpful if used in moderation.
Maybe having one of the best zeldas and marios of all time on it right out of the gate helps too.