Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU Clock Speeds May Have Been Revealed

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
JUMBO PALACE said:
IF the price point is low enough I'd still consider it if they're more generous with the games than they were with the Wii U. The fact that there was no proper Zelda on the console and the only Starfox was a remake with forced in motion controls is just a travesty.
I think this is the big thing. Nintendo has to hit the right price point. $199 would be ideal, but it absolutely cannot cost more than $249. If it does, it's likely to make the Wii U look like a successful console.

I think this is one reason that Nintendo chose the X1 chip to begin with. They have to have a price point in mind they want to hit, and keeping costs down will be a paramount consideration, I am sure.

Kahani said:
Of course, the problem with such speculation is that there's no evidence that anything called "Tegra X2" exists at all. In fact, the only evidence for it is the same speculation claiming that the Nintendo NX will use it. And yes, the fact that it was still referred to as the NX should tell you just how reliable and up-to-date that speculation was.
All evidence at this point seems to lean toward the chip that was thought to be called X2 is one of two things. Either a heavily modified X1 that is only used in the Switch, or a cancelled update to the X1. The newest Tegra in the works now is the P1, based on the Pascal architecture.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Kibeth41 said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
My issue with Steam has been the awkwardness of controls. The Steam controller isn't exactly the be-all end-all solution to games. Also, I'd rather play quality games designed around a particular control scheme, rather than play quality games hindered by an inferior control scheme which they weren't tailored for.

And while this is a point more specific to me, and many others might disagree with. I'd rather own an inferior console that doesn't require me to modify the controls and specifics for every new game that I play.
I can't speak to the Steam controller as I've never used it. The Steam Link is compatibile with any usb/wireless controller of your choice though. I'm not quite sure what you mean by modifying the controls and specifics for every new game you play. If you're at your desk you've got a keyboard and if you're on the couch you've got a controller. You can even use those new lapboards if you really don't want to leave your keyboard behind when playing on the couch. Of course the cost comparison starts to get a lot more equal once you start going down that route.

JUMBO PALACE said:
the only Starfox was a remake with forced in motion controls is just a travesty.

Kibeth41 said:
I always resent that. Fans are always super adamant that they wanted the game to stay true to the originals. And the motion controls weren't "forced in". The game was built with them as a heavy consideration. With that in mind, I'll always agree with Jirard, in that they're odd to get used to, but ultimately made the game better. I sincerely believe that gyro controls could really improve conventional FPS games. Since it moves the scheme closer to mouse and keyboard accuracy.

But that's a conversation for somewhere else.
Fair enough. Opinions and whatnot. Motion controls aren't for me but I'm glad you enjoyed StarFox

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
My issue with Steam has been the awkwardness of controls. The Steam controller isn't exactly the be-all end-all solution to games. Also, I'd rather play quality games designed around a particular control scheme, rather than play quality games hindered by an inferior control scheme which they weren't tailored for.

And while this is a point more specific to me, and many others might disagree with. I'd rather own an inferior console that doesn't require me to modify the controls and specifics for every new game that I play.
That and PC gaming isn't very big for a lot of very good reasons, such as needing a larger investment in order to play the latest titles even decently and the sheer bulk of hardware components leading to a variety of x-factor problems. For all of PC gaming's bragging the bulk of software sales are still done on consoles. And let's face it, the PC gaming argument is also centered around one thing: the "power" argument, the safe space for the insecure. It all goes back to that when you get down to it

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Aiddon said:
Kibeth41 said:
And let's face it, the PC gaming argument is also centered around one thing: the "power" argument, the safe space for the insecure. It all goes back to that when you get down to it
Sheesh did someone who plays games on PC kill your dog or something? There are plenty of reasons to play games on PC other than being "insecure". Play games on whatever device you want and have a good time. I don't see a reason to start throwing insults around.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But does it videogames good??

All this spec measuring hasn't got in the way of me enjoying Zelda titles before. I...think. it's the price and body count that keeps me up at night digging expensive graves.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Karadalis said:
Aaaaaand there goes the 3rd party support.
Probably not. The biggest obstacle to Wii U ports was not that it was underpowered, but that Nintendo stubbornly stuck to PowerPC architecture, which nobody else was using. The ARM-based Tegra processor, along with proper official support from major engines such as Unreal 4, means that porting games to Switch will be a lot cheaper and lower risk than Wii U ports ever were. They don't have to sell nearly as well to make a profit, which in turn makes them more likely to be made if they're on another system anyway.

In particular, I'd bet we see a fair few ports from Android. While mobile games are obviously not ideal on a console, it's at least an improvement over the desert of a library that Wii U offered us if you were interested in anything but first-party games.

P.S. Thanks

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Someone recently pointed out to me how similar this is to the SEGA Nomad ...

Like the Switch it is a portable that can be "docked" (OK you just plug it into the TV with RSA cables), it has "home console level" graphics (nowhere near the top of the line of course) and you can even plug a Genesis controller into it so you and your friends can play together.

The only difference it doesn't have a giant library of games like the Nomad which ran Genesis games - just drop in the Genesis cartridge.

Now all that is to be seen is the price (the Nomad got hit pretty hard @ $180), battery life is of concern and lastly whether developers are willing to rework their games for significantly lower specs of the system.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Eh, nevermind the specs. Let's hope Nintendo manages to turn this thing into another RPG and JRPG powerhouse like the 3DS. Bravely Default 3! Dragon Quest! Shin Megami Tensei! Fantasy Life! Fire Emblem! I want it all, goddamnit!