Nintendo Switch Online Service Delayed to 2018 and Will Cost $20 a Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Switch Online Service Delayed to 2018 and Will Cost $20 a Year

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1409/1409824.jpgNintendo has revealed its online service for the Switch. It's a modest $20 a year, but it's also delayed to 2018.

Every since the Nintendo Switch launched in March, we've been waiting to hear what Nintendo's online service was going to look like. Now we know more details, but Nintendo has also delayed the service until 2018.

The Switch's online service will run you $20 a year, but you can also opt for a one-month subscription for $4 or a three-month subscription for $8.

As previously announced, the voice chat and online lobbies for the Switch won't be on the device itself. Instead, those will be built into a dedicated phone app. That app won't be fully available until the service launches next year, but Nintendo plans to release a "free, limited version" of the app this summer.

Also included in the service for subscribers is a selection of free versions of classic games with "added online play," and users will be able to as many of the game as they want, as long as they have an active subscription. Nintendo has so far confirmed that Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario will be available on the service.

Nintendo confirmed to Kotaku [] that "Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will be able to play a wide variety of classic games, including Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario. More games will be announced at a later date. At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration, but we have nothing further to announce at this time."

There's still no word on when or if Nintendo might bring a Virtual Console to the Switch, and when asked, it replied, "We have nothing to announce on this topic."

Obviously, the delay of the Switch's online service is bad news, but at least you'll be able to play online for free until it launches. There are still some unanswered questions about how the app will work, how many headsets you'll need to hear voice chat and game sound, and other small details. If you want to see more, you can check out Nintendo's official Switch Online page here [http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/]

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Biggest question I have is whether I'll need to buy in to this stupidity to get the level of group play that was in xcx when xc2 comes out...

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
ffronw said:
As previously announced, the voice chat and online lobbies for the Switch won't be on the device itself. Instead, those will be built into a dedicated phone app.
But why? Why is it the only way instead of an option?

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
Not going to lie, this sounds bloody awful. Was contemplating buying a switch to play games with my gf, but it gets harder to every time I read something about it.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
More free internet, finally a lengthy enough period to put its through its paces for a whole year of online titles.

Jun 20, 2013
ffronw said:
As previously announced, the voice chat and online lobbies for the Switch won't be on the device itself. Instead, those will be built into a dedicated phone app.
Oh goddammit, I completely forgot about that. What a fucking objectively, inarguably, absolutely indisputably stupid move.
Aside from the obvious reasons that is dumb, their apps have a good track record of not working on my phone due to obsoleteness. I shouldn't have to upgrade my phone to use some basic features on a brand new goddamn 300 dollar game system. What fucking indefensible garbage.

Honestly, 20 dollars is a steal, but shit, I would rather just pay the same amount as PS+ or Live and have it work the way it should (as in not requiring an app).

I forgot about this ball of idiocy and was actually saving up for the thing. Now I'm reconsidering. God-fucking-dammit Nintendo, can you just not fuck up for once? I actually kind of hope the smartphone idea crashes and burns just out of my own personal loathing for the idea. Petty, I know, but I just find it so abhorrently stupid. The person who came up with that should just stop >_>

</venting ... whining ... whatever you want to call that>