Nintendo Switch SD card recommendations?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I'm thinking about what Micro SD I should get should I get a Nintendo Switch, and I'd like a recommendation or two. Reason being is that I was thinking of getting a 128gb Sandisk Ultra, but, then again, I also want plenty of space for the odd digital version of a physical release, and the Dragon Quest Heroes duology takes up more space than the system allows by default (that's not counting the fact that the system can run Unreal Engine 4).

Can anyone give me any recommendations?, or will my choice do for my purposes? (if so, mind giving me a plan B, C, and so on?).

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
DarklordKyo said:
I'm thinking about what Micro SD I should get should I get a Nintendo Switch, and I'd like a recommendation or two. Reason being is that I was thinking of getting a 128gb Sandisk Ultra, but, then again, I also want plenty of space for the odd digital version of a physical release, and the Dragon Quest Heroes duology takes up more space than the system allows by default (that's not counting the fact that the system can run Unreal Engine 4).

Can anyone give me any recommendations?, or will my choice do for my purposes? (if so, mind giving me a plan B, C, and so on?).
Your choice is smack in the middle of size for micro SD cards currently on the market. It'll be large enough for...I dunno, 8-9 non-indie titles of significant size? Breath of the Wild clocks in at around 13-14 GB.

Meanwhile, the largest possible card currently on the market is 512 GB, and that's around $200 bucks.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
i just got my self a Sandisk 64 gb microSD card. if you want lots of Digital games go with a 256gb card otherwise a 64 or 128gb microsd card should be more than enough for physical game saves

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
I picked up a 128 GB Samsung microSD card today for $35, seems to me like the best balance of price vs. capacity, for now at least. I do generally prefer physical copies of games, but I'm not above the occasional digital download of a retail title, and once the Virtual Console comes to Switch, it'll start getting even more use.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Karthesios said:
I picked up a 128 GB Samsung microSD card today for $35
Holy crap you found a good one!!!

I found 64GB for 25euros, but when I went for 128GB I was always up in closer to 100euros.

So for me that would of course mean I get 1 or 2 64GB cards, but if I'd find one of those 128 for 35 it would most certainly be my first choice.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
How does data storage work on the Switch? Do you need to install stuff with its operation system to see the files, or can you allocate them manually? Something like making an ISO image file?

There are external wireless hard drives with SD slot for photographers and cameramen for example, but I don't think a factory pressed Nintendo SD card is that user friendly with its data. :p

Still, that would be cool.