Nintendo Switch Super Bowl Commercial

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Is it just me or this probably the best bit of marketing Nintendo's done in a LONG time?

even if it isn't it's still definitely a reminder on how bad the Wii U marketing was.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yoshi178 said:
Is it just me or this probably the best bit of marketing Nintendo's done in a LONG time?

even if it isn't it's still definitely a reminder on how bad the Wii U marketing was.

I mean if you're already looking forward to it, sure. However, the 99% of Super Bowl watchers who've never heard of the Switch before will probably find it mediocre at best. Only once does Ninty show that the handheld and home console system are one and the same; expect people to think this is a general advertising pitch for Nintendo rather than for a single product.

Also, it was really hard not to notice how they only showed the same 4 games (Splatoon, Kart, Zelda, Rock-Em-Sock-Em-Robots The Videogame)[footnote]No, I don't count 1,2,Switch as a game. It's a tech demo being sold as a full-priced item.[/footnote] repeatedly.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Avnger said:
the 99% of Super Bowl watchers who've never heard of the Switch before will probably find it mediocre at best.
that doesn't matter. the ad clearly shows off that it's a new system and the many different ways you can play it AND it's been shown to millions with the ad clearly trying to come off as a "cooler" type of product aimed more at teenagers and young adults than anything.

Avnger said:
Also, it was really hard not to notice how they only showed the same 4 games (Splatoon, Kart, Zelda, Rock-Em-Sock-Em-Robots The Videogame)[footnote]No, I don't count 1,2,Switch as a game. It's a tech demo being sold as a full-priced item.[/footnote] repeatedly.
You think Nintendo Gives a shit if you count 1 2 Switch as a game or not?

and ARMS isn't a hard name to remember at all. not only that, there is literally only 1 robot character in the game, at least from what we've seen of it so far.

and what's wrong with that having just 5 different games in there? those 5 games also happen to be the same 5 games that Nintendo is trying to push on the marketing front hardest at the moment given that they're the Switches biggest launch and launch window games.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
It's decent enough, though it may have benefited from a more traditional pitch after the confusing mess that was the Wii-U's marketing campaign.

Strange that they wouldn't show any footage from Super Mario Odyssey. Perhaps the internet's anxious reaction to it scared them off?

(NSFW language)

I couldn't help but notice that every time a man and a woman played against each other, the woman would always win. I wonder what that says abou-

OH GOD, GENDER POLITICS HAS CORRUPTED ME! I SHOULDN'T GIVE A SHIT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! YOU DID THIS TO ME, INTERNET!
Avnger said:
I mean if you're already looking forward to it, sure. However, the 99% of Super Bowl watchers who've never heard of the Switch before will probably find it mediocre at best. Only once does Ninty show that the handheld and home console system are one and the same; expect people to think this is a general advertising pitch for Nintendo rather than for a single product.
I didn't think of that until you brought it up, but you're probably right. Hell, the general public might think it's just another Wii when they see the motion controllers with wrist straps.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yoshi178 said:
with the ad clearly trying to come off as a "cooler" type of product aimed more at teenagers and young adults than anything.
In pretty much the same way that a stereotypical Baby Boomer marketing exec would think is "cool" and "hip." I really hope that isn't the audience this ad is aimed at. If it is, that's all the more reason it'll flunk.

Yoshi178 said:
You think Nintendo Gives a shit if you count 1 2 Switch as a game or not?

and ARMS isn't a hard name to remember at all. not only that, there is literally only 1 robot character in the game, at least from what we've seen of it so far.
I'm sorry (not really). Did me giving my opinion about a topic you brought up in a forum thread set you off because I dared to criticize your beloved Nintendo? 1, 2, Switch is a tech demo; that's simply a fact. It's not even as good as one as Wii Sports was, and Wii Sports was free!

Also, whether the characters are humans, robots, or grizzly bears doesn't matter. It's still Rock-Em-Sock-Em-Robots in video-game form. I'm really hoping you don't think this ARMS is some kind of innovative idea. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be bad though; I had a blast playing with my Rock-Em-Sock-Em-Robots back in the 90s.

Yoshi178 said:
and what's wrong with that having just 5 different games in there? those 5 games also happen to be the same 5 games that Nintendo is trying to push on the marketing front hardest at the moment given that they're the Switches biggest launch and launch window games.
As in, they're the only games that will be coming out for the console in the first couple years of its existence... It's the Wii U all over again. Oh wait, there may or may not be that port of the 6 year old Skyrim too; I forgot about that.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
Strange that they wouldn't show any footage from Super Mario Odyssey. Perhaps the internet's anxious reaction to it scared them off?.
i imagine Nintendo's not going to market games like Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 beyond things like E3 and Nintendo Direct streams until it gets much closer to the holiday season.

Zelda and 1 2 Switch are here on launch day with Mario Kart Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2 all coming in the first few months of the Switch by the time the middle of the year comes around. makes sense to focus the marketing on those at the moment since those are all available at or close to the start of the consoles life with things like Mario, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem coming much later.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
For once, I'm actually on Team Yoshi and agree. The only real knock I would have on the commercial is that it should have done the "click up and down" (at the 23 sec mark) to really hammer home that it is the same console that you see the entire time. It only showing a handful of games isn't something I noticed until it was pointed out and even then, I don't think that's all that big of deal.

Don't get me wrong, I still personally have ZERO interest but I thought it was a solid commercial.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Needs more football, beer and babes.

And horses. Clydesdales, to be exact.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I have seen this a few times already (I don't understand why this is posted online ahead of the Super Bowl). I don't know, this is just boring. Aren't Super Bowl ads supposed to be funny or exciting or something out of the ordinary. This is just a minute and a half of shit I feel like I have already seen. Not much different from the reveal trailer.

I wish them luck with it though, god knows they paid through the teeth to get a ad to run during the Super Bowl.

How do I unignore someone on this forum?

tippy2k2 said:
Don't get me wrong, I still personally have ZERO interest but I thought it was a solid commercial.
I am the opposite, I have more interest in the Switch than in this boring ad.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
No. Their Pokémon commercial in the past Super Bowl is still way better.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CaitSeith said:

that was made by the Pokemon Company not Nintendo actually.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yoshi178 said:
CaitSeith said:

Nintendo is the parent organization of The Pokemon Company. But if you want this much better publicity not to count as from Nintendo, fine. It's not my problem.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CaitSeith said:
Yoshi178 said:
CaitSeith said:

Nintendo is the parent organization of The Pokemon Company. But if you want this much better publicity not to count as from Nintendo, fine. It's not my problem.
actually Nintendo only owns a 3rd of the Pokemon Company. Game Freak and Creatures Inc own the other 2 thirds

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
When 'mediocre' is 'best in a while]...that's saying more about Nintendo than anything else.

I was SO tempted for this system...until everything cost a shit load of money (pro controller is going to be MANDATORY for non-kids type of people who have normal (not trump) sized hands.

Plus, it being under powered...you already know that 3rd Party is basically going to be DOA.

MAYBE Atlus will show it some love, but I'm iffy on that.
:/

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's the same as the Switch reveal - its main concern is to illustrate the many scenarios in which you can play on the console rather than showcase the actual games. You can play here! And there! And like that! With this many people! Like a toy commercial.

Rombor

Mar 29, 2010
I think it does a good job showing off the different possibilities the console offers; where to play, how to play, etc. I would have chosen at least one game with a not-so-cartoony look though, but perhaps the specs just aren't there, I don't know. Or why not a serious sports game, the ad is to be run during a sports event after all (gimmicky air boxing doesn't really count).

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
It wasn't a bad advert but it lacked oomph really. I disagree with Johnny a bit, I feel it did a much better job than the reveal but it still wasn't a particularly powerful trailer. That being said it was significantly better than previous stuff I've seen.

Also I really, really feel they could have done with more hammering at the 'look at this BRAND NEW thing'. After the disaster that was the marketing surrounding the Wii U and the fact that a casual glance didn't actually necessarily make it clear it was a new console I mean. Perhaps something similar to but subtler than just putting in big text at the end next to the picture of the console "Get the next generation in Nintendo consoles, the Switch, on March 3rd"...or actually perhaps NOT subtler; perhaps being that blunt would be the best play. Better to really hammer the point home and make it clear exactly what they're selling; especially given the twelve months or so that they spent waving their arms around with "oooh we've got a new thing but we're not going to say anything yet".

If they're serious about wanting to match the Wii's sales figures (a pipe dream, really, but its nice to have goals) they need to be EXTREMELY clear about what they're selling, what it has to offer, and why everyone on the planet should want one. And they need to do that at every single opportunity they can get, especially times such as this when huge audiences are watching.

Rombor said:
I would have chosen at least one game with a not-so-cartoony look though, but perhaps the specs just aren't there, I don't know. Or why not a serious sports game, the ad is to be run during a sports event after all (gimmicky air boxing doesn't really count).
A quick glance down the list of Nintendo Switch games on Wikipedia doesn't seem to reveal an awful lot that they'd be able to show off at this point for realistic stuff. There's a NBA game announced but I'm not sure you'd want to put that on at a gridiron match. I guess they could have shown Skyrim but that's them then relying, yet again, on a port of a 6 year old game...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Did I miss the commercial? I've watched this entire game and have yet to see that commercial. There was the commercial for the new Zelda game (which was similar to that one but it was only about 20 seconds long versus that commercial above) but not a commercial for the Switch itself...

EDIT: Game is over (Damn it...) and I still never saw the commercial.