Nintendo Switch Uses a Standard Tegra X1 Chip

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Honestly not surprised at all. Nintendo has spared pretty much every expense here...plastic screen, poor build quality etc, all to keep the price down. Guess you get what you pay for.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Naldan said:
Even if the Tegra chip was overclocked by 30%, what is the reason to use hardware probably cheaper than the previous console, who itself was already performance-hardware-wise (you know what I mean) not up to snuff?
Nintendo did say that by using an older model CPU, that they could launch the Switch before someone else came out with something better. Gotta love what they think of their customers.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Geez, I was afraid of this console being too weak and it seems I was right.

Well, There goes most third-party support on the Switch then unless I'm proven wrong.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Nile McMorrow said:
RaikuFA said:
bjj hero said:
Jacked Assassin said:
Steven Bogos said:
This would also likely explain why Bethesda is being so coy on whether or not the Skyrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169263-Skyrim-Confirmed-for-Nintendo-Switch] version confirmed for the console is the 2016 Special Edition or not. It's likely the Switch simply isn't powerful enough for that, and what it will be getting is a port of the vanilla edition of the game, from 2011.
I still believe that Nintendo is trying convince Bethesda to add in Amiibo functionality....
I always thought skyrim would benefit from mii charecters.
I'd think the amiibos would give you the master sword, Mario's hat, Peach's dress etc.
Drop a Yoshi Ambiibo and get a Yoshi coloured Mount, drop Bowser and encounter a Bowser styled enemy Dragon, drop one of the Links and encounter a mute adolescent in your home who then begins knocking everything all over the place. Also prepare yourself for the newest collection of Amiibos coming with the release of Skyrim on the Switch: The Dragonborn, A Mudcrab, A helmet and finally Jarl Balgruuf. Stay tuned for the effects they will have on your game!
I would buy them all. Not the game but just the amiibos.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
gillnavisingh said:
every time I see a Nintendo article on this site I always expect 75% or more of the comments to be about how Nintendo sucks.

and while I'm frankly tired of it all I am glad to see that it's kept to a minimum on this piece
Same here. It's gotten tiring and the unnessary bitching reduces any actual complaints to "more anti nintendo bitching".

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
008Zulu said:
Nintendo did say that by using an older model CPU, that they could launch the Switch before someone else came out with something better. Gotta love what they think of their customers.
Funny. Console-wise, better products were launched in November 15 and 22nd respectively. 2013.
Handheld-console-wise, February 26, 2011.

And I was so convinced by the Switch up until its initial full presentation...

@Raik etc.: Sorry, but if a company turns out to abandon its qualities and advantages it had over its competition at the sole cost of the consumer, even I get motivated to ***** about Nintendo. A company that changed my life extentially several times over.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
RaikuFA said:
gillnavisingh said:
every time I see a Nintendo article on this site I always expect 75% or more of the comments to be about how Nintendo sucks.

and while I'm frankly tired of it all I am glad to see that it's kept to a minimum on this piece
Same here. It's gotten tiring and the unnessary bitching reduces any actual complaints to "more anti nintendo bitching".
And then there are allways the oh so sassy complainers about complainers... the circle of forum live in all its glory eh?

On topic thought it seems Nintendo just couldnt dedicate itselfe fully to this console.. at all. First its shizophrenic handheld/home console gimmick that i have a hard time believing anyone actually will use to any capacity besides taking the switch to the bathroom when nature calls (certainly not taking it out on the streets to play with the other cool mid 20 nearly 30 year olds at the local playground) Now it turns out it has a piss weak graphic chip? Color me surprised... its a tablet after all.. a tablet with a really big recharging station that allows you to play on your big TV... for all the good that does.

Nintendo has been riding on the back of its fanboys ever since the Wii when they showed their true colors by claiming that the "core gamers" are no longer their audience cause they knew people would buy their shit no matter how assholish they behave.

I mean look at 1 2 Switch... wich they sell for the price of a AAA game instead of doing the right thing of bundling it with the console itselfe like Wii sports back in the day. They think their fanboys are so stupid that they will pay premium for a bunch of minigames that consist of flailing your arms around on command... but hey! A New zelda game amirite? Gotta buy that new Zelda game!

And that nintendo has a horrible relationship with 3rd party developers has been an established fact since the days of the NES

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Karadalis said:
And then there are allways the oh so sassy complainers about complainers... the circle of forum live in all its glory eh?

On topic thought it seems Nintendo just couldnt dedicate itselfe fully to this console.. at all. First its shizophrenic handheld/home console gimmick that i have a hard time believing anyone actually will use to any capacity besides taking the switch to the bathroom when nature calls (certainly not taking it out on the streets to play with the other cool mid 20 nearly 30 year olds at the local playground) Now it turns out it has a piss weak graphic chip? Color me surprised... its a tablet after all.. a tablet with a really big recharging station that allows you to play on your big TV... for all the good that does.

Nintendo has been riding on the back of its fanboys ever since the Wii when they showed their true colors by claiming that the "core gamers" are no longer their audience cause they knew people would buy their shit no matter how assholish they behave.

I mean look at 1 2 Switch... wich they sell for the price of a AAA game instead of doing the right thing of bundling it with the console itselfe like Wii sports back in the day. They think their fanboys are so stupid that they will pay premium for a bunch of minigames that consist of flailing your arms around on command... but hey! A New zelda game amirite? Gotta buy that new Zelda game!

And that nintendo has a horrible relationship with 3rd party developers has been an established fact since the days of the NES
As much as I agree with you, people are still gonna buy the hell out of it because being able to play 360/PS3 era games on a handheld plus NINTENDO OMG seems to be too much to resist for a lot of people. lol

I talked to a lot of my gamer co-workers and they're all saying I'm being way too negative. I dunno, mang.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Nintendo you cheap bastards. It's really overpriced for what's inside. Well, I guess they're hoping that portability will be it's saving grace, but I don't know if that's going to work. It's already put itself in the same position as the Wii U, it's way underpowered, and the competition offer better hardware at lower price points with guaranteeed third-party. And discounts for games. Nintendo doesn't drop the price on their titles, unless it's a selects edition.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Naldan said:
008Zulu said:
Funny. Console-wise, better products were launched in November 15 and 22nd respectively. 2013.
Handheld-console-wise, February 26, 2011.

And I was so convinced by the Switch up until its initial full presentation...

@Raik etc.: Sorry, but if a company turns out to abandon its qualities and advantages it had over its competition at the sole cost of the consumer, even I get motivated to ***** about Nintendo. A company that changed my life extentially several times over.
And yet when anyone complains about stuff non-Nintendo related it's suddenly not ok. There's a lot of shitty things Nintendo does, using some chip should not be an excuse to ***** about them. Hell, I've had people complain about Nintendo charging for online yet when PSN or XBL got brought up suddenly it's not cool to complain about charging for online.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
RaikuFA said:
And yet when anyone complains about stuff non-Nintendo related it's suddenly not ok. There's a lot of shitty things Nintendo does, using some chip should not be an excuse to ***** about them. Hell, I've had people complain about Nintendo charging for online yet when PSN or XBL got brought up suddenly it's not cool to complain about charging for online.
You're certainly not talking about me.

Regarding Nintendo charging for online play, one has to keep in mind their track record in relation to online stuff, their already non-delivering of certain apps like, say, a simple browser and the benefits and advantages when looking at the amount they charge. Since it will be a really low price in comparison to Nintendo's competitors, I'm not expecting much of it. So it can be worth the money, but I doubt that it will be much more than really just that: online-play. The ability to play your games online.

But I digress. SONY's newly refreshed arrogance makes, believe it or not, Microsoft the most attractive manufacturer to me personally, if the Scorpio delivers. So I ***** about SONY, when in the past I praised them and bitched heavily about Microsoft.

It all comes down to who kicks the consumers in the guts more or who embarasses themselves more to me. Second comes to play with Nintendo at the moment. The Switch sells well, way more than I'd ever expected even if it turned out the way I'd hoped. And I have absolutely no clue whatsoever why that is. Who buys that console aside from Zelda fans? What else is the seller of that system? 1-2 Switch? I don't know but I'd love to, really.

And since BotW turned out to be a phenomenal game and the best selling in some categories I can't remember right now for Nintendo, ever, it might be really Zelda fans and people who now are Zelda fans. The game certainly deserves it, the console, imo, does not.

Just look at the hardware issues like that small storage, the dead pixels and Nintendo's handling of them (I know it's within standards, still sucks) and those motherfucking connectivity issues. That's worse than the YSODS, BSODS etc., since you can't even try the roulette of returning your console and getting a new one in hope of it not failing. You now just have to deal with it. Just deal with it. That simply sucks for the consumer.

And then when I hear more and more about the Switch not being up to snuff, essentially being worth less than known before (objectively, not subjectively which I do respect (e. g. I'm a fan of collector's editions of certain games, doesn't make them worth much more, objectively)), then I'm motivated to moan and whine about the Switch more and more. Because first, I'm a bit biased because I love Nintendo as a developer since 1992 at least and hate to see them being more of a dick towards their customers, and second I am always for the little man if it is reasonable and within something I care deeply about, e. g. gaming.

But yes, I understand where you're coming from. I should restrain myself a little bit and maybe blow off steam somewhere else, like a cohesively-constructed and better to follow video for example. Something where I rethink my grammar.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Foolery said:
Nintendo you cheap bastards. It's really overpriced for what's inside. Well, I guess they're hoping that portability will be it's saving grace, but I don't know if that's going to work. It's already put itself in the same position as the Wii U, it's way underpowered, and the competition offer better hardware at lower price points with guaranteeed third-party. And discounts for games. Nintendo doesn't drop the price on their titles, unless it's a selects edition.
I'm glad I stepped back from this when details started leaking out, the more that comes out about it the less I really want much to do with it.

Sing

Aug 6, 2013
Graphics and power aren't important to me. What bothers me more is the pricetag of it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
For me Nintendos marketing is the fault yet again for all the negativity.
I've had the Switch since launch and I am very happy with my purchase so far, and seeing the games coming for it, it will be used quite a lot in the future as well.

The problem is they say it is a homeconsole, so everyone will be comparing to Xbox and PS which it won't even come close to in means of hardware/power. What they should've done was name it as a handheld, because as a handheld the market has never seen anything like this, AAA gaming on a small tablet that you can take with you! AND then they should've announced the dock and said "here is also an adapter which will charge the Switch and throw the game on the TV, changing the resolution from 720 to 900or1080 depending on the game".

Just my 2 cents no one cares about.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
The White Hunter said:
Foolery said:
I'm glad I stepped back from this when details started leaking out, the more that comes out about it the less I really want much to do with it.
I'm glad that I have a Wii U to play BOTW.

Honestly, it's not just the tegra component that baffles me, they also skipped out on ram. Ram is freakin'cheap. The Switch only has 4gb compared to PS4 and X1's 8gb. Which, okay fine it's not getting any third-party support because of poor hardware. But it also gimps them, when they want to make huge games like BOTW or the next Xenoblade. I understand the strategy of using old hardware to make sales costs, but eh. They can't even be bothered to put ethernet ports in their consoles, mic support, and then decide charge for online.

I might be interested if it becomes an RPG powerhouse like the 3DS. But even then, a 400 dollar handheld is not appealing in the slightest. And 3DS still has some life in it yet.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Guffe said:
I've had the Switch since launch and I am very happy with my purchase so far, and seeing the games coming for it, it will be used quite a lot in the future as well.

The problem is they say it is a homeconsole, so everyone will be comparing to Xbox and PS which it won't even come close to in means of hardware/power. What they should've done was name it as a handheld, because as a handheld the market has never seen anything like this, AAA gaming on a small tablet that you can take with you! AND then they should've announced the dock and said "here is also an adapter which will charge the Switch and throw the game on the TV, changing the resolution from 720 to 900or1080 depending on the game".

The problem comes with the 3DS which still has a large install base and is still making them money. This will alienate them and destroy the only system they have with proper 3rd Party Support. If you Google Switch replace 3DS you will get tons of articles with Nintendo trying to dispel this notion. Marketing it as a handheld with an adapter would have not helped and would have possibly destroyed 3DS sales.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
popa_qwerty said:
Guffe said:

The problem comes with the 3DS which still has a large install base and is still making them money. This will alienate them and destroy the only system they have with proper 3rd Party Support. If you Google Switch replace 3DS you will get tons of articles with Nintendo trying to dispel this notion. Marketing it as a handheld with an adapter would have not helped and would have possibly destroyed 3DS sales.
This is true, but everyone can see through that right?
That the Switch with its mobility is actually, at least a little, a replacement for the 3DS. Of course it would be stupid to say it straigh out with all the 3DS owners out there, but most likely, pretty soon, the companies making games for the 3DS will be making the next game for the Switch, this is how I think it will pan out.
But I also think many 3DS owners might be interested in the Switch, because you get a handheld namely for the portability, so this is just another step in a more powerful direction. I believe people who have a 3DS, and think the Switch is too expensive, might buy it if Nintendo would make a purchase for the Switch, without the Dock available, and charge the -100dollars for it?