Nintendo Switch & Xbox One cross play ad for Minecraft

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
So yesterday this ad for Cross play between Switch and Xbox One for the game Minecraft was posted.
now personally i don't play Minecraft at all nor do i have an interest in the game but i thought this ad was pretty amazing.

only a decade ago, people couldn't imagine possibly seeing companies like Nintendo Microsoft working together like this, not just on having cross play in the game, but to actually see them do something like put out this bit of shared marketing.

i think it's pretty amazing to actually see something like this trailer happen because of that. what do people here think about this ad?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Not sure what?s so amazing about it...if it wasn?t for the 1 second flash if that of an XBOX logo on the left at the end it was basically a Minecraft ad for the Switch. Funny how PC/console crossplay between both XBOX and PlayStation has been around for generations but it?s only a big deal when two consoles can do it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I remember playing Portal 2 co-op in PC with a friend in PS3. Definitely more cross-play is appreciated.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
When you can party up with friends on different platforms and play (and talk) together, then I'll care about cross-play. Just being able to say matchmake and possibly play with random people from other platforms isn't very exciting. The one thing it does is give MP games life that wouldn't have a big enough community to sustain it on a single platform or give games a better lasting life like say last-gen MP games if the PS3 and 360 communities could become one joining 2 small communities into one. But for most current games does it really make the experience any better? Like is say Splatoon (to keep the Nintendo theme) any less enjoyable not being able to play randoms on PS4/Xbone?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Great, I guess?

Options sure. Its nice for the Xbox parent/kid with a Switch and saves on a TV and stuff. Although that would also mean buying two copies of every game you want to play together.

Beyond that, Do I care what a faceless internet random is playing on?

From prior experience with cross-play, I wonder how the lag and all works out too. Paragon (RIP) was awful for the delay between the two platforms when you got mixed lobbies. Haven't run into a PC player in ages in Rocket League (since mostly just play with buddies) though I remember a tad of lag there too (granted, that was early days so optimization is also an issue)

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
hanselthecaretaker said:
Not sure what?s so amazing about it...if it wasn?t for the 1 second flash if that of an XBOX logo on the left at the end it was basically a Minecraft ad for the Switch. Funny how PC/console crossplay between both XBOX and PlayStation has been around for generations but it?s only a big deal when two consoles can do it.
crossplay has been around for ages, but not between any of the Big 3, 1st Party Hardware Developors being Nintendo Sony and Microsoft.

its always been indie or 3rd party developed games that have had the crossplay. for Microsoft to not only let Nintendo share Minecraft accounts between 2 systems, but to also work with Nintendo on this advertisement having both the companies Logo's and Colors represented in the ad, that's something which was unheard only just 10 years ago.

that's what i find amazing. not crossplay it's self.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Seth Carter said:
Great, I guess?

Options sure. Its nice for the Xbox parent/kid with a Switch and saves on a TV and stuff. Although that would also mean buying two copies of every game you want to play together.
not really. alot of people have friends who own different systems. alot of my friends own PS4's but not Nintendo Switches.

crossplay just means your friend doesn't have to buy the same console as you for you both to be able to play together online.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Eh. Crossplay is nice for games with a low community count i guess (I.E Fighting games), but i can't see a reason other than that to do it other than Good PR. And Lord knows Microsoft needs the PR. That is literally the only reason they are doing it.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Lufia Erim said:
i can't see a reason other than that to do it other than Good PR. And Lord knows Microsoft needs the PR. That is literally the only reason they are doing it.
that's probably true, but who care's why they're doing it? the fact that are doing it is amazing.

a decade or two ago all 3 of the console hardware companies were all way too stubborn to ever consider doing such a thing. it's nice to see them ease up on that.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
crossplay has been around for ages, but not between any of the Big 3, 1st Party Hardware Developors being Nintendo Sony and Microsoft.
FFXI [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI] (the first Final Fantasy MMO) was available on the PS2 (with hard drive), PS3 (in compatibility mode, before that went the way of the dodo), PC, and Xbox 360 (OG Xbox was considerd, but the HD was too small), all played on the same server. A Wii version was considered, but rejected due to Ninty's insistence on 'friend codes' [https://web.archive.org/web/20150131212203/http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/square-enix-blames-wii-friend-codes-for-lack-of-ffxi/].

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
Lufia Erim said:
i can't see a reason other than that to do it other than Good PR. And Lord knows Microsoft needs the PR. That is literally the only reason they are doing it.
that's probably true, but who care's why they're doing it? the fact that are doing it is amazing.

a decade or two ago all 3 of the console hardware companies were all way too stubborn to ever consider doing such a thing. it's nice to see them ease up on that.
The "why" is just as important as the " what". They are doing it because they are desperate to get consumer approval. Which from what i can see is working. Don't get me wrong, cross play is nice, but dont forget the motivation behind it is not likely because they are the " good guys".

If anything it's like the shady guy giving away candy to children from his white van .

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Lufia Erim said:
Yoshi178 said:
Lufia Erim said:

The "why" is just as important as the " what". They are doing it because they are desperate to get consumer approval. Which from what i can see is working. Don't get me wrong, cross play is nice, but dont forget the motivation behind it is not likely because they are the " good guys".

If anything it's like the shady guy giving away candy to children from his white van .
honestly i don't give a shit at all about why they do it. all i care about is that it's actually happening and benefiting us the consumers.

Do you think Nintendo tries all their console & controller innovations because they give a shit about us? or that Sony & MS are trying to do out do each other by making a more powerful console than the other company because they want to be our friend?

obviously the answer to both of those questions is no. at the end of the day, all 3 of those big corporations only give a shit about making profits by selling lots of consoles & software.

their motivations for doing things are irrelevant to me. i just want to play fun games that i enjoy and also experience new & better ways of playing games. that's why i play Nintendo games. not because i think they're my friend.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Myria said:
Yoshi178 said:
FFXI [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI] (the first Final Fantasy MMO) was available on the PS2 (with hard drive), PS3 (in compatibility mode, before that went the way of the dodo), PC, and Xbox 360 (OG Xbox was considerd, but the HD was too small), all played on the same server. A Wii version was considered, but rejected due to Ninty's insistence on 'friend codes' [https://web.archive.org/web/20150131212203/http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/square-enix-blames-wii-friend-codes-for-lack-of-ffxi/].
Final Fantasy? you mean that big 3rd Party JRPG franchise that isn't even owned by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo?

like i literally just said, crossplay has been around for ages, but not directly between those 3 hardware companies. Microsoft 100% owns Mojang who make Minecraft and i think it's really amazing to see them doing both the crossplay but also cross marketing with Nintendo for it.

Square Enix owns Final Fantasy. not Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Yoshi178 said:
crossplay just means your friend doesn't have to buy the same console as you for you both to be able to play together online.
That's why I think Sony aren't interested in crossplay.

I can imagine their thoughts as being 'we are the biggest player this generation, why give people an incentive to remain on other systems?'

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
votemarvel said:
Yoshi178 said:
oh that's exactly why they aren't interested.

but how'd being anti consumer work out the last for ya Sony with that stupid $600 PS3 price tag? they had a shitty start to gen 7 because of their anti consumerism. all it does is just piss people off.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Yoshi178 said:
votemarvel said:
Yoshi178 said:

but how'd being anti consumer work out the last for ya Sony with that stupid $600 PS3 price tag? they had a shitty start to gen 7 because of their anti consumerism. all it does is just piss people off.
If Nintendo were on top they would be doing the same thing. With friend codes and all I am honestly surprised Nintendo even agreed to this.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Yoshi178 said:
votemarvel said:
Yoshi178 said:

They were pushing a new media format (which is still the standard) just like the previous generation with DVD?s. The Cell wasn?t even that expensive next to the Blu-ray drive. It also had full backwards compatibility and Linux support out of the box until (some) consumers took advantage of it beyond the EULA, which prompted its removal along with the added cost savings of trimming several functions when they introduced the Slim model.

As it was at launch, even with the inflated price, they were still losing around $200+ a unit to have all of that included, let alone taking an extra year to make sure their box was ready for sale. Now compare that to Microsoft who knowingly released a faulty product just to get an early sales lead, stuffing it with proprietary add-on?s and spearheading pay-to-play online, and who really seemed more guilty of anti-consumerism?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
They were pushing a new media format (which is still the standard) just like the previous generation with DVD?s. The Cell wasn?t even that expensive next to the Blu-ray drive. It also had full backwards compatibility and Linux support out of the box until (some) consumers took advantage of it beyond the EULA, which prompted its removal along with the added cost savings of trimming several functions when they introduced the Slim model.

As it was at launch, even with the inflated price, they were still losing around $200+ a unit to have all of that included, let alone taking an extra year to make sure their box was ready for sale. Now compare that to Microsoft who knowingly released a faulty product just to get an early sales lead, stuffing it with proprietary add-on?s and spearheading pay-to-play online, and who really seemed more guilty of anti-consumerism?
Firstly: going "but what about Microsoft!?" is not an argument, it's whataboutism. Secondly, both of them were. Sony basically threw a fit all of last generation because people weren't buying the PS3 en masse. Blu-Ray actually turned out to just be a stop gap at best because shortly afterward streaming took off and made the whole thing kinda redundant meaning that was a middling investment for Sony. And even when it was clear they were getting double teamed by MS and Nintendo and burnt through ALL the profits they ever made on the PS1 and PS2 Sony still tried to act like they were the top dog. The worst of this was with former SCEA President Jack Tretton in an interview with EGM blaming the PS3's woes on "society in general" and trying to play Sony as some sort of scorned victim and underdog.

Anyway, topic at hand. Crossplay has definitely been getting more popular over the years, mostly because third parties don't want to segregate their player base. The idea that Nintendo would advertise this is astounding.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
votemarvel said:
Yoshi178 said:

That's not why Sony is against cross-play, WolvDragon posted a link (in the other thread) on why Sony prefers not to have cross-play, which is because they don't wanna compete with other online stores (like Live) for microtransactions on skins and whatnot, which Sony makes far more money on than the sales of PS4 hardware.

Much of what Hansel said about the PS3. What's so anti-consumer about selling something to a customer and the company losing money? Yet Microsoft knowingly releases a console they know doesn't work along with the launch 360 not having a hard drive (making you buy propriety hard drives from Microsoft), no wi-fi (again, making you buy a propriety device), no internet browser (to pay-wall stuff like Facebook and Netflix), no HDMI port, and probably a couple other things. Sure, making a PS3 another trojan horse for new media (blu-ray like DVD) was probably more for Sony's interests but the consumer still got the value of playing blu-rays. Adding in the Emotion Engine chip on PS3 was for BC purposes so I don't get how that is anti-consumer, and now Sony gets criticized of not providing BC on PS4 (i.e. people don't know what they want). Both Microsoft and Nintendo reached greater heights (both more recently mind you) in arrogance and anti-consumerism than Sony's PS3 "arrogance".

Aiddon said:
Blu-Ray actually turned out to just be a stop gap at best because shortly afterward streaming took off and made the whole thing kinda redundant meaning that was a middling investment for Sony.
But both PS4 and Xbone use blu-ray drives. It stopped PS3 games from needing multi-disc releases as well.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
S
only a decade ago, people couldn't imagine possibly seeing companies like Nintendo Microsoft working together like this, not just on having cross play in the game, but to actually see them do something like put out this bit of shared marketing.
Didn't rare make a couple games for Nintendo Handheld's while owned by Microsoft. Even Viva Pinata got a game on the DS. Granted THQ Published it. It was a Microsoft exclusive.