Nintendo Teases "Big" Announcement For Monday

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Teases "Big" Announcement For Monday

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/994/994205.jpg
Could this have something to do with Nintendo's upcoming new console, the NX?

Damon Baker, Nintendo of America's senior manager of licensing and marketing, speaking to Nintendo World Report [http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/41550/6th-annual-nwr-live-podcast-telethon-for-childs-play] has teased a special announcement from the company due to hit the interwebs on Monday.

"Speaking of announcements, I wish I could tell you guys, but stay tuned for Monday. Monday there's going to be something... something happening on Monday. It's going to be big," said Baker.

"Stay tuned, it's going to be good!" he added.

Baker's role at Nintendo has a lot of involvement with indie developers, so its possible the announcement may have something to do with that. It's also possible it may have something to do with the Super Smash Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/super%20smash%20bros?os=super+smash+bros] Nintendo Direct which is due out at the end of the month.

Besides that, feel free to speculate wildly. Perhaps we will finally see something to do with the Nintendo NX, which rumors are suggesting will smartphone initiative [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165267-Nintendo-NX-New-Console-2016].

Stay tuned!

Source: Nintendo Everything [http://nintendoeverything.com/some-sort-of-nintendo-announcement-coming-on-monday/]

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Since we're all already aboard the new console hype train, I guess we could just assume it's going to be a new console.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new console, although I think the smarter move would be to announce a massive price cut on the wii u to push sales for the holidays and announce the new console in january.

Although maybe it'll be an announcement of something like support for two tea trays on the wii u, or something regarding that branch in mobile development. I'm not sure what nintendo would consider 'big' or that they'd be realistic about what 'big' would mean to us.

If you really want wild speculation maybe we'll see a pc release of something.

Honestly, I wouldn't be happy with anything less than an apology cake for every US gamer, a lot more games coming for the wii u, and all of the games that Nintendo of America never brought over or heavily censored. (I haven't even bought my wii u yet and the damn thing's probably on the chopping block!)

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
I doubt it would be the new console, just because there are still some key titles still coming out for the wii u up until mid 2016, I think thats when it will be announced. Still I wouldnt be surprised if it is as now would be a good time to drop the wii u's price down because of christmas.

What I think it might be is either a new game from one of nintendos many ips (fingers crossed for some new metroid action) or smash brother dlc announcement. Could honestly be anything, Im just still on the hype train about Cloud in smash so they are still in my good books about that

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Is it for a new 2D Metroid for 3DS that is as non-linear as Super Metroid and a 3D Metroid for Wii U that doesn't have some horribly nasty story shoved into it to cause the game to practically be on rails? No? OK, I guess I'll crawl back into my anti-hype chamber.

Seriously though, what the hell are they hyping up? The Smash ballot? Amiibo News? Zelda Wii U's release date and title? Mother 3 on the VC? They said more NX info isn't coming until E3, and they might hold that promise considering the brief spike it Wii U sales recently. Retro Studious does have their unnamed project that they didn't get to show off at the last E3.

Except for announcements on when the next Direct will go live, I haven't really seen something like this from Nintendo in years. I'd hate to say it but I'm setting expectations low in case they are just announcing [insert boring character here] won the Smash ballot.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
They'd have to be completely nuts to launch the NX in 2016.

Don't know why anyone would expect them to. I seriously don't think anyone thinking that has seen much of the history of console games, or they'd know it's just a colossally terrible idea.

even 'early 2017' would not be a great idea... It just isn't. Sends entirely the wrong kind of message to everyone involved.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm still waiting for the Smash Ballot results. C'mon Nintendo, stop keeping us waiting!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Their recent patent and the discussion of it that I've read here [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150086] made me really interested in what's going on with the NX. More than I already was. So I hope they blow me away from my seat.

Tho I'm still not too hyped to get disappointed if they don't reveal anything about the NX yet. They did say no new info until E3 2016.
But if there is no ZeldaU info, I will be mad enough to complain on the internet!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It would be sort of funny if now they announced Minecraft.

But, more likely, it's the NX.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Calling it now, Master Chief for Smash. What? He has just about as much ties to the Big N as Cloud does. :p

In seriousness, I hope it's virtual console gamecube games. Oh my groodness that would be best. I'd be a golden goose with how much money I'd throw away.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
voltair27 said:
I bet you it's something about Amiibos.
Yep. The big news is now you'll be able to order a customised amiibo sculpted after your Mii avatar. Just you wait, that's what it's gonna be!

Of course, most popular head shapes and hair options will be in short supply, but please understand.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
EyeReaper said:
Calling it now, Master Chief for Smash. What? He has just about as much ties to the Big N as Cloud does. :p
ehh, Cloud has been on games on nintendo systems, MC hasn't, so I'd say Cloud has more ties (though MC for Smash would be awesome)

anyway as for what the guess is, Cranky Kong 4 smash calling it now! (but most likely mobile related)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ech, id guess its going to be the new console, stopping the rumors.

CrystalShadow said:
They'd have to be completely nuts to launch the NX in 2016.

Don't know why anyone would expect them to. I seriously don't think anyone thinking that has seen much of the history of console games, or they'd know it's just a colossally terrible idea.

even 'early 2017' would not be a great idea... It just isn't. Sends entirely the wrong kind of message to everyone involved.
id say that people who has seen the history would be the ones thinking that. historically console generations were MUCH shorter than the last one.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I doubt it's NX stuff, they said they will tell us about it in 2016.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
Is it for a new 2D Metroid for 3DS that is as non-linear as Super Metroid and a 3D Metroid for Wii U that doesn't have some horribly nasty story shoved into it to cause the game to practically be on rails? No? OK, I guess I'll crawl back into my anti-hype chamber.
Sadly Nintendo announced a while ago that there were no Metroid titles (apart from FF) in production and we should be happy with what we're getting.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
voltair27 said:
I bet you it's something about Amiibos.
Reggie Fils-Aime is going to admit announce that Amiibos are laced with heroin. Just you watch. It explains everything.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
It's Minecraft for the Wii U. Now, before you all scream how that isn't big news, remember that this excitement came from Nintendo's Indie Management guy, talking on a podcast about Nintendo and indies, in a Nintendo enthusiast podcast. It was never going to be that groundbreaking.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Mega Man Legends 3.

Yeah sorry that's not happening. Um.

NX. Or a new Mario game. Or something equally predictable.

Edit: The current captcha's don't work.