Nintendo Tried to Block Evo Streams

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
The extremely short turn-around period for this event makes the whole thing seem like a miscommunication. From what I understand, there were literally only four or five hours between Nintendo sending a complaint to them reversing it. I can't see an old-fashioned company like Nintendo reacting so quickly to negative press.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
This guy has no clue how to write a journalistic article. I agree with the fact nintendo is being stupid but the article is VERY poorly written for a news piece.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Furthermore, this isn't a "fair use" gray area like the "Let's Play" videos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124066-Nintendo-Suddenly-Claims-Ownership-Of-Many-YouTube-Videos] Nintendo was blocking earlier, this is a legitimate fighting game tournament. It's madness. It would be like Adidas trying to stop world cup broadcasts because they use an Adidas branded ball.
Actually FIFA and Adidas and all the other sponsers would prevent you from broadcasting World Cup football if you weren't an official broadcast sponser. A stupid situation, but that is what happens. And its "World Cup" not "world cup", this is not like baseball and american football where the world consists of the US and Canada.

A better example would be preventing a charity football tournament being broadcast because they were using an Adidas ball, Adidas boots and possibly Adidas branded strip, all of which were paid for.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Is there some agreed upon dumb quota for console makers? We have MS going the crazy drm route combined with its always on listening device, sony deciding that it likes subscription fees and Nintendo deciding the internet is against them and wanting to take its toys and go home. Seriously Nintendo, cut this shit out, I want to be able to buy your stuff.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
This is a faster turnaround than Microsoft had with the Xbone issues. I kinda figured companies like Nintendo and Sony would learn not to pull dick moves after Xbone-gate but, then again, there is always an idiot or two (dozen) floating around that are promoting dumb-ass ideas like this.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
razer17 said:
If this was EA, people here would treat this like they uploaded videos of the excutives killing puppies. But it's Nintendo, so we'll all go back to fawning over Zelda.
watch out, the nintendoids will come with their army of air fans and blow you away because how dare you point out how shitty nintendo is.

Worgen said:
Is there some agreed upon dumb quota for console makers gaming industry?
fixed that for you.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I'd like to point out that the ones who made this decision are Nintendo of America, not Nintendo JP. NoA has a tendency to fall into that group of idiotic western publisher mindset (see operation rainfall etc.)

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Bonus points for targeting a charity tourney!

Jackel86 said:
But nothing will come of it. Every time Nintendo does something ridiculous like this, everyone riots over it only to forget about it the next day. Nintendo just never seems to keep the hate the way Sony or MS does.
Silly poster, expecting a single standard in the gaming community.
they are hated for being kiddie so likers like them with belief not assessment.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Are you honestly insinuating that if someone doesn't capitalize "world cup" that it only indicates America/Canada? That is stupid -_-
That is not what I was saying, I was pointing out one of several glaring errors in a badly written news article about a serious matter. I was also incidentaly mocking the idea of calling a baseball tournament that only includes American teams the World Series.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Nintendo just isn't consumer friendly at all, they attack fan games even if that's covered as being fanart, they attack LPs even though it's free advertizing, their digital licensing is the worst I've seen and no one seems to notice.

I'm not sure why many side with them defending them sword and shield drawn, it's a company and people who are buying things from them SHOULD be concerned and scrutinize their policies.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Gilhelmi said:
I am 70% sure all these problems can be traced to one senior official who does not have "official" support from the company.

I can imagine a senior person (just below the Vice President rank) doing this and, until now, no one above him noticed much. A couple isolated articles might fly under the radar if no one tells the boss.

But this is a major tournament. One, I suspect, a VP or President was using to generate free publicity for Nintendo. That person is now going WTF and perhaps just now finding out about the other "incidents".

OH, to be a fly on that wall.
There are quite a few old grumpy gus's in their higher ranks that aren't the heads of the company that hold great power, but aren't fired for reasons stated a few days ago.

We just have to wait for them to fuck up (like this) before something gets done with them.
I must have missed that article. Can you link it to me?

I think in most companies their are people like that. Too much power, too little commonsense.