Nintendo Wants Gamers to Play Through Breathing

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
There are already several games you play by breathing. SingStar, RockBand, Karaoke Revolution…
Well said person. Though people on this site won't think of that and this is a Nintendo Product...they'll just bash it and ignore those examples.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
WaderiAAA said:
Electrogecko said:
It's never a bad idea to add new control mechanics as long as they're implemented appropriately and don't cost too much. That said, this device WILL probably cost too much. I can't even imagine what it'll look like...some type of mask that will have to be strapped to the user's head. I think it might be justified as something that you work into a daily routine, possibly after yoga, a workout, or a nap. Imagine if it could detect particulates in your lungs and let you know if you're drunk, on drugs, or breathing in hazardous chemicals daily.
Did you read the article. It can sensor your inhaling and exhaling through your finger - the Vitality Sensor is that little thing on the picture, connected to the remote.
Damn you're right. I did read the article and I came away from it thinking that new hardware was being made...probably because I never thought the Vitality Sensor could be used as a method of control. I thought the goal of it's use would always be to relax and lower the user's blood pressure as much as possible, but now I'm intrigued. It'll be an interesting and radical shift in gameplay. Imagine a game where instead of having to be hand-eye coordinated and tactical to be good, you must have good self control, composure, and circulatory health as well. Imagine if in a shooting game, your aim becomes less accurate if your heart rate is too high, but your melee attacks do more damage. Plus, the device can't cost more than $15 tops right?

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
SaintWaldo said:
There are already several games you play by breathing. SingStar, RockBand, Karaoke Revolution…
Nope you play them by making a sound, the amount you actually breath is irrelevant. Hell give me tone generator and a fair few of of them I could play using a dial and a button.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I wonder how Nintendo can make this concept entertaining because I know it certainly wasn't when Ubisoft showed their "breathing game" at E3

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
You know what would be cruel though? With the vitality sensor if you did have a heart attack whilst playing the last thing you may hear/see whilst your brain continues to flicker in and out of conciousness after a cessation of your pulse would be "Please reconnect your vitlity sensor correctly as there is no stimulus from the device."

After that, black screen :X

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Tom Goldman said:
Still, at some point you've got to wonder if the wave of controller-free gaming is moving into the unnecessary.
Moving into the unnecessary? I'm pretty sure we've been at that point for some time now.
No, that's when we get the Fleshlight controller....Wait a minute, on second thought is that horrible or the best idea ever?

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Oh boy, I can see the lawsuits already. As soon as someone designs a game that requires breathing really fast to get your o2 levels up and people start passing out from hyperventilation we're going to have a fun news day.

Also I have no idea how he's going to get a patent on that design, its just a Pulse-Ox device they've been around for years.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Petromir said:
SaintWaldo said:
There are already several games you play by breathing. SingStar, RockBand, Karaoke Revolution?
Nope you play them by making a sound, the amount you actually breath is irrelevant. Hell give me tone generator and a fair few of of them I could play using a dial and a button.
The amount of negative clueness in this response has completely destroyed our instruments, Captain!

Aura Guardian said:
Well said person. Though people on this site won't think of that and this is a Nintendo Product...they'll just bash it and ignore those examples.
You were saying? ;)

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Tom Goldman said:
Still, at some point you've got to wonder if the wave of controller-free gaming is moving into the unnecessary.
Moving into the unnecessary? I'm pretty sure we've been at that point for some time now.
No, that's when we get the Fleshlight controller....Wait a minute, on second thought is that horrible or the best idea ever?
You say that as a joke, but I'm pretty sure something very much like that already exists for use with one of Japan's various pervert simulators, and I know for a fact that a company sells an attachment to transform the Wii-mote into a vibrator.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I don't know about you, but having a controller that reads your biometrics? Kind of creepy.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Alright, here's the thing: My mom's a shrink. As a shrink, she thinks most problems with health can be linked to stress.

Any sort of stress aid that combines video games with the breathing techniques that they've been trying to get me to do for years might actually get me to do them as I'll have some sort of supervision and direction.

Maybe that's hoping for too much, but most likely it's more than this article is making it out to be.

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
I actually played a game that you controlled through breathing. I can't remember what it was called, but it was some kind of spiritual-y kind of game.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Electrogecko said:
Imagine a game where instead of having to be hand-eye coordinated and tactical to be good, you must have good self control, composure, and circulatory health as well. Imagine if in a shooting game, your aim becomes less accurate if your heart rate is too high, but your melee attacks do more damage.
That's...actually an interesting idea. And I'm willing to bet someone else has mentioned it already, but imagine the applications in a horror game :)

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Xanthious said:
Tom Phoenix said:
People mindlessly proclaiming this to be a gimmick in 3, 2, 1...
Wait, are you claiming otherwise?
What I am claiming is that it's stupid to call something a "gimmick" just beacuse it is of no interest to you (not necessarilly you specifically, but anyone insulting the Vitality Sensor). It's not like standard controls are going to disappear just beacuse this is being developed. All it does is open up more gameplay options as well as introduce gaming in general to people who normally would not be able to play (like, for example, people with physical disabilities or the very elderly).

It never ceases to astound me how people are willing, at the first opportunity, to mindlessly insult anything in gaming that doesn't fit their needs and desires, as if they were the sole centre of the universe. If you don't like it or need it, fine...don't buy it. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be developed and made available for those people that just might be interested at the possibilities it opens up.

If we want gaming to grow (which it needs to in order to survive), it is necessarry to expand ways for one to interact with games. The Vitality Sensor isn't going to cost you anything and isn't going to be the death of traditional control methods, so why would you hurl insults such as "gimmick" at it?

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
Tom Phoenix said:
Xanthious said:
Tom Phoenix said:
People mindlessly proclaiming this to be a gimmick in 3, 2, 1...
Wait, are you claiming otherwise?
What I am claiming is that it's stupid to call something a "gimmick" just beacuse it is of no interest to you (not necessarilly you specifically, but anyone insulting the Vitality Sensor). It's not like standard controls are going to disappear just beacuse this is being developed. All it does is open up more gameplay options as well as introduce gaming in general to people who normally would not be able to play (like, for example, people with physical disabilities or the very elderly).

It never ceases to astound me how people are willing, at the first opportunity, to mindlessly insult anything in gaming that doesn't fit their needs and desires, as if they were the sole centre of the universe. If you don't like it or need it, fine...don't buy it. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be developed and made available for those people that just might be interested at the possibilities it opens up.

If we want gaming to grow (which it needs to in order to survive), it is necessarry to expand ways for one to interact with games. The Vitality Sensor isn't going to cost you anything and isn't going to be the death of traditional control methods, so why would you hurl insults such as "gimmick" at it?

Here's the thing... while I do understand and even agree very much with what you're saying, we can't say for certain yet whether or not this device will fall into the 'gimmick' category.

Allow me to explain.

As you stated above, if gaming is to survive and flourish as a medium, then it needs to branch out and open new venues. I couldn't agree with this sentiment more. New peripherals have the potential to do just this, however that means being implemented correctly.

Right now, the vitality sensor has potential in my eyes. Someone pointed having a thriller/horror genre that changes based on heart rate. Awesome. I also see this as having a huge potential for using a game console for something completely separate from whiz-bang-shooty-fun, say... utility for yoga exercises, or stress and anger management based on monitoring heart rate. This could very well be our version of TV's Discovery Channel, our chance to say "looks, games having real positive value." I'd like to see Jack Thompson try to vilify a game that promotes lower stress and relaxed state of being.

But here's the thing... right now, that all potential. If you detect cynicism from your fellow escapists then, well... maybe there is a reason for it. You said it yourself that gaming is a tricky business, it needs to grow to survive. In the past though, we've seen game companies only grow just enough to keep the cash flow. The Wii itself was a great idea was a huge potential, but fell short because that potential was not reached. That's why the term 'gimmick' gets slapped onto it.

'Gimmick' to me means that it's a thing that all flare and no substance. I think Yahtzee nailed it the best with his Force Unleashed video. The wii control could[/c] have felt like wielding a real lightsaber, but it didn't. Instead of pushing the potential and feeling like a new, immersive way of enjoying our medium, it fell terribly short and was slapped with the brand of a gimmick - a false extra that doesn't add to the whole. An unnecessary feature used in order to increase salability and acceptance.

So what it all comes down to is if this new device pushes it's potential. I hope it does, I really do. I'm always excited to see things being pushed in new directions, but at the same time, I can't blame people for being skeptical. I hope this new toy surprises us all, but that remains to be seen...